Ghostbusters General Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Favorite Ghostbusters Movie

Ghostbusters (1986)
85%
Ghostbusters 2
7%
Ghostbusters (2016)
7%

Total votes: 55

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Re: Ghostbusters General Thread

Postby Mr. Xeno » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:35 am

Young Guy wrote:The clip isn't working, unless that's the joke.

OT. Not surprised that this movie flopped. It's available to watch on PutLocker right now. Be careful, that site has some dodgy ads on it.

YouTube embedding doesn't like to work on this site.

And it actually hasn't FLOPPED, it just wasn't the gigantic performer Sony wanted/needed it to be. It's done a'ight, and that's kinda it.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:11 am

Anyway, In a bit of truly saddening news, the development company FireForge behind the new Ghostbusters game has filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy a meager three days after the launch of the game.
http://kotaku.com/ghostbusters-developer-fireforge-games-goes-bankrupt-1784625739
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/08/01/ghostbusters-game-developer-files-for-bankruptcy
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-01-naff-ghostbusters-game-was-made-in-only-eight-months-report
Godzilla

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Postby RandomDeinonychus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:35 pm

Mr. Xeno wrote:And it actually hasn't FLOPPED, it just wasn't the gigantic performer Sony wanted/needed it to be. It's done a'ight, and that's kinda it.

The irony of all this flop talk is that the film has seemingly done well enough for a sequel to be seriously considered (I think someone already linked to a great Forbes article about why it is that a film can underacheive and be considered for a sequel, while others can do big business and still have a sequel be considered an unnecessary risk), so it will only matter if that film flops.

What gets me wondering is that comedies used to make a lot of their money on video, but I don't know if that's still the case now that video stores have been replaced by Redbox, On-Demand, Netflix, etc.

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:18 am

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:And it actually hasn't FLOPPED, it just wasn't the gigantic performer Sony wanted/needed it to be. It's done a'ight, and that's kinda it.

The irony of all this flop talk is that the film has seemingly done well enough for a sequel to be seriously considered (I think someone already linked to a great Forbes article about why it is that a film can underacheive and be considered for a sequel, while others can do big business and still have a sequel be considered an unnecessary risk), so it will only matter if that film flops.

What gets me wondering is that comedies used to make a lot of their money on video, but I don't know if that's still the case now that video stores have been replaced by Redbox, On-Demand, Netflix, etc.

Not really. in truth for most movies it's actually very easy for a movie to surpass it's listed budget in box office gross, however it's the price tags that aren't listed that are what really sinks a movie. here's a good article on that using two popular Super Hero Movies X-Men Days Of Futures Past and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 as examples.
https://weminoredinfilm.com/2015/03/21/why-is-the-amazing-spider-man-2-considered-a-failure-but-x-men-days-of-future-past-is-not/

And To be honest I really don't know how a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe would have ever worked either way.
Godzilla

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Postby RandomDeinonychus » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:51 am

g2vd wrote:And To be honest I really don't know how a Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe would have ever worked either way.

I can't argue with that. If they want to do a sequel and a cartoon series, that's one thing and I'm definitely on board, but I really don't feel like this is a property that lends itself to multiple films set in the same universe that are not strictly connected.

Hell, I think the idea of a Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe is ridiculous and that has actually been successfully done before! (That and the Showa Godzilla films are about the only successful examples of it that I can think of prior to Marvel attempting it)

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:49 am

Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:54 am

Mr. Xeno wrote:Nostalgia Critic Review
http://channelawesome.com/ghostbusters- ... ia-critic/

Seemed to be more of a review of the controversy than a review of the actual movie. Count me disappointed.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:25 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:

Seemed to be more of a review of the controversy than a review of the actual movie. Count me disappointed.

It was the same with his non-Nostalgia Critic review he did with his brother.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:42 pm

Young Guy wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

It was the same with his non-Nostalgia Critic review he did with his brother.

That's kinda his thing. (Although, with no offense intended, I alao kinda think it's a liberal thing. Comicsalliance.com does a simillar thing; the more openly left a reviewer's politics, the more they tend to focus their entire review on any even-tangentially-related social issues and only spare a sentence or two for the rest of the piece being discussed).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

Zilla103192
Keizer

Postby Zilla103192 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm not coming back to this thread after I post this because I know its just a poop storm waiting to happen.

I liked it!

I went in with super low expectations. But I actually really enjoyed myself.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't hold a candle to the original... but I'd put it on par with GBII.

I would give it a 6/10. It wasn't GOOD. But it was a good time.

There was a few things I would of changed:

-Let me just clarify this before getting to the biggest change I would make.

I AM NOT SEXIST. It's a sad world we live in where I feel like I have to announce that before sharing my thoughts on a movie.

Now... the biggest change would of been to have a more diverse team. Yes I mean less females. I would say to of had it 2 males, 2 females. Having the whole team female really did scream feminist. No matter what way you look at it. It is a reboot of a film that was all men. There really wasn't any reason to make it all female other then the whole feminism thing going on right now.

- The queef and "race thing, or lady thing" jokes. They were unnecessary and pointless.

- The villian wasn't interesting at all. And his motivation didn't make much sense. "People picked on me growing up... SO I'M GONNA OPEN A PORTAL TO THE GHOST REALM AND UNLEASH MILLIONS OF DEMONIC GHOST CREATURES TO TAKE OVER THE PLANET!! ... OH... AND I'LL KILL MYSELF.

- They could of easily set it as a sequel/reboot to the originals and had McCarthy and McKinnon be students of the original Ghostbusters. And the other two joining in as they did in the film. It would just take a little tweaking. This could of even solved the whole "ahhh!! It's just women??? This will suck!!" AND the "It's not connected??? THIS RUINED MY CHILDHOOD!!" conundrum.

-Murray and Weaver's cameos were stupid. But I actually liked the rest alot. I'm not sure what they could of done to make them better, but I wasn't a fan of what was done.

-Slimer's cameo was dumb. He should of been one of the first Ghosts they caught like in the first film. And girl Slimer was just stupid. I get that it was a cameo from the GBII Slimer, but they could of done something better. Like just have her voice SLIMER!

I'm going to end on a positive note. I love Kate McKinnon. She was adorable and hilarious. I want to just be friends with her and never let her go.

Goodbye Ghostbusters thread!!! I'll probably check back in once whatever is next in the franchise comes along.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

g2vd
Kwaidan

Postby g2vd » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:21 am

This is actually a very good and interesting satirical video that lays out this whole controversy in simple Math and evidence.

It's more than worth the time and is infinitely better than Doug's reviews.
Godzilla

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:04 pm

That was fantastic. And pretty much spot-on. A manufactured controversy is great publicity... but 'the only way you can dislike/disagree with x is if your motivation is y' arguments are almost always false. (And the reasoning is... shall we generously call it 'shaky and biased?', every time...)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:06 pm

g2vd wrote:It's more than worth the time and is infinitely better than Doug's reviews.

You can say that about any Half In The Bag/RedLetterMedia review. Doug's videos are terrible, whether it's Nostalgia Critic or himself doing the talking. The guys over at RLM don't bog down their reviews with crappy sketches and are generally much more funnier. You can tell they have a pretty good knowledge of films and filmmaking which is more than I can say for Doug.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:12 pm

I like Nostalgia Critic, but he isn't the person I go to when I want to listen to a verbal review. For that, I go to Brad Jones's (The Cinema Snob's) YouTube channel. He does reviews for new movies every weekend with his friends in his car, and it works. I usually agree with his viewpoints and even share them more times than not.

And he thought Ghostbusters wasn't a good movie. Neither did I.

*WARNING: REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS*

ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:53 am

Paul Feig has decided to never direct a remake again.

Birdman
Kwaidan

Postby Birdman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:14 am

Young Guy wrote:Paul Feig has decided to never direct a remake again.

GOD HAD BLESSED US!
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"

https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:33 am

Looks like the film may take a minimum 70 millon dollar loss. Though from the sound of things Reitman will gain creative control on any future franchise releases including a possible animated film and new cartoon series.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/g ... uel-918515
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, of you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Young Guy wrote:Paul Feig has decided to never direct a remake again.

Good. Now he can focus his political agenda on ORIGINAL WORKS. Everyone's happy!

Except Paul Feig.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Manticore
Futurian

Postby Manticore » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:27 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
g2vd wrote:It's more than worth the time and is infinitely better than Doug's reviews.

You can say that about any Half In The Bag/RedLetterMedia review. Doug's videos are terrible, whether it's Nostalgia Critic or himself doing the talking. The guys over at RLM don't bog down their reviews with crappy sketches and are generally much more funnier. You can tell they have a pretty good knowledge of films and filmmaking which is more than I can say for Doug.

No? Dude, sometimes I find myself skipping entire minutes of their hijinks to get to the actual review. That said, I do like RedLetterMedia/Half in the Bag, they are a lot of fun, though I don't always agree with them.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote:Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.

Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Postby Jatahaxe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:28 pm

A couple family members somehow dragged me to see this. I honestly thought it was pretty much just the godawful trailers, only longer.
Monsters are the real people.

Return to “Monster Manor”