Ghostbusters General Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Favorite Ghostbusters Movie

Ghostbusters (1986)
85%
Ghostbusters 2
7%
Ghostbusters (2016)
7%

Total votes: 55

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Re: Ghostbusters General Thread

Postby Mr. Xeno » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:30 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I must be one of the few that prefers Ghostbusters 2. Well other than my sister who also prefers the sequel. I'm that way with a lot of sequels. The Lost Word, Gremlins 2, Crocodile Dundee 2, Hellboy 2, Blade 2, Back to the Future 2, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, I could go on.

Hellboy 2 and Blade 2 are both considered superior to the originals (and both are, ironically, directed by del Toro), so that's pretty much the standard opinion, really.

Although I don't think Ghostbusters 2 is better than the first. It's fun and has great effects, plus more screentime for Ernie Hudson, but it's writing and dialogue just aren't as sharp, and it recycles a lot of plot points from the first movie unnecessarily.

Also, it's not much, but we got our first set photos from the Ladies reboot.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Tim85
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Tim85 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Ah Ghostbusters, what an up and down relationship we've had. Loved the cartoon when I was younger. Because of that I wanted to see Ghostbusters 2. Big mistake. The slime in the tub scene scared me enough that Mom had to leave the theater with me. Scared me to the point that all it took was a clip to appear and it woukd freak me out. Plus I was scared to watch the first one.

Fast forward to summer vacation between 7th and 8th grade. Finally got the nerve up to check out the first one. Loved it! One of my favorite movies. After that I tackled the second one. made it through and liked it. Still get slight shivers when the tub scene comes up but I make it through. The thing that bugged me about the second one is how they handled the ending of the first one. They saved the world and yet they are treated like they did nothing and did more harm than good.

The new one? I'll wait until we get a decent trailer. I like the cast. I actually like Melissa McCarthy, so sue me.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:29 am

Probably already have been answered, but why are they making the Ghostbusters female? That's such a stupid and unnecessary change to already established characters. Might as well make Charlie's Angels men now.

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Young Guy wrote:Probably already have been answered, but why are they making the Ghostbusters female? That's such a stupid and unnecessary change to already established characters. Might as well make Charlie's Angels men now.

I think it's because they're not playing the original characters (i.e. even though there's probably going to be a character in a similar vain as Venkman, he didn't just become a she out of nowhere), but are playing new characters altogether. Whether they're at all connected to the original characters remains to be seen.

TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier

Postby TheSecondComing » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:55 pm

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/14/gh ... an-aykroyd

Dan Aykroyd will be in the Girlbusters, so I'm now 25% OK with this movie.
[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

Janjira54
Futurian

Postby Janjira54 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:15 pm

TheSecondComing wrote:http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/14/gh ... an-aykroyd

And I'm guessing that's the other 75% you don't like

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:27 pm

Janjira54 wrote:
TheSecondComing wrote:http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/14/gh ... an-aykroyd

And I'm guessing that's the other 75% you don't like

The average nerd is intimidated and often threatened by the presence of the female species in his general vicinity.

I mean, c'mon people, a new Ghostbusters film with female Ghostbusters isn't a big deal. The new film has always been referred to as a reboot, not a remake, so it's highly unlikely they're playing the actual characters from the original film, just gender-swapped. They're probably doing what the new Vacation film is doing by passing on the torch in-universe.

TheSecondComing
EDF Soldier

Postby TheSecondComing » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:14 pm

[img]http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b376/Legionmaster/pWo.jpg[/img]

three
Keizer

Postby three » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:42 pm

i don't care if there is an all female cast or not, but i don't want it to be an excuse if the movie flops. the first thing we'd end up hearing about is how there's an image problem with the audience and blah blah blah, which isn't true. i think people have a problem with established franchises being fiddled with to the point of being unrecognizable or existing only in the template of their former selves. it suggests to me that if you cannot keep yourself close to the source material, then you're going to have "done it wrong" no matter how good the final product is.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - skreeonk in space.

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:09 pm

I don't really see why a gender-swapped cast counts as "doing it wrong" to anyone, especially since they're probably playing new characters.

I mean, Ghostbusters is about a group of down-and-out losers who wind up turning a laughable profession into a serious business, encountering creepy ghosts, ghouls, and belly laughs along the way. They drive a ratty piece-of-shit car; they wear self-made proton packs; they're made up of a genius, a buffoon, a sarcastic asshole, and a racial minority who contributes nothing; they have a gives-no-shits receptionist.

I mean, there's just nothing I see within this remake that should elicit fan hatred, especially considering how Fieg has such a good track record.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:12 pm

the original cast was great. the movies have entered that fabled realm of movie-sanctity. really. i'm not kidding. so when people see any major alterations, even if it's not a remake, it sets off bells and alarms.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!

Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

Mr. Xeno
EDF Soldier

Postby Mr. Xeno » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:21 pm

three wrote:the original cast was great. the movies have entered that fabled realm of movie-sanctity. really. i'm not kidding. so when people see any major alterations, even if it's not a remake, it sets off bells and alarms.

Which is weird considering how most people don't really care for the second film.

three
Keizer

Postby three » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:22 pm

Mr. Xeno wrote:
three wrote:the original cast was great. the movies have entered that fabled realm of movie-sanctity. really. i'm not kidding. so when people see any major alterations, even if it's not a remake, it sets off bells and alarms.

Which is weird considering how most people don't really care for the second film.

who doesn't know the statue of liberty walked at one time, though? presumably they were born after 2000. :lol:

Grym Reaper
Ronin

Postby Grym Reaper » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:23 pm

The reboot reeks of another unneeded and unnecessary remake to me. I'm not even against the all-female idea but why remake Ghostbusters with it? :?

I've been a huge fan all my life, love the films and animated series. I'm one of the few who really loves the sequel and considers it equal to the first, never got the hate for it at all.

XxComablack1937xX
EDF Soldier

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Technically almost every Reboot is for the most part unneeded and unnecessary but it wasn't like the studio didn't try and get all the cast back into another Ghostbuster's film. Which is what the general audience wanted, unfortunately Bill Murray didn't want to do it and now we are stuck with this.

I'm not against an all female cast, I'm just not a fan of this cast but i still am reserving judgement until i see a trailer.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:23 pm

It's not about a gender swap so much as it is the fact it feels like nothing more than a forced gimmick for gimmicks sake. Why not a mixed gender team? Could it be a good movie? Of course it could but I doubt it? Don't care much for that guy's movies to begin with (I do like Kristin Wiig though).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:44 am

I'm not as bothered about the decision itself, more like why did they go that direction? In this age where movies are trying to be more diverse than ones from 30 years ago, it's a odd creative decision.
What really grinds me if how they're dealing with the backlash (which they should have expected). If the recast was all-male, there would still be backlash, but something tells me they would be apologizing for it or trying to prove that it's not going to be bad, instead of speaking bad about the fans and ignoring what they're saying. All that has done is make the fandom even more divided over it. Obviously the fans don't know what this movie will be, but I think it's reasonable enough if some fear it will tread down the original, or be a "chick flick", or a number of other poor possibilities. Most of the backlash has to be fear for the franchise, even if it does come out as hate. The way the studio is dealing with this has really given me a distaste for the movie. Hollywood has way too much of a personal involvement in social media these days.

Otherwise, I'm just not appealed by the new cast. I see the reflection from the original cast, but it still doesn't match Bill Murray, or Sigourney Weaver, or, -you get the rest. I feel no excitement, and in a way, rather it not exist, if only because of the dirt surrounding it.

Grym Reaper
Ronin

Postby Grym Reaper » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:29 pm

If anything good comes from the reboot maybe people will finally soften on GB2 after all this time.

The One and Only
EDF Soldier

Postby The One and Only » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:10 pm

Grym Reaper wrote:If anything good comes from the reboot maybe people will finally soften on GB2 after all this time.

It always seemed to me that some just had it in for the sequel no matter what. But while I think GB2 comes up short of the original, I honestly think it's still quite good, and delivers on the laughs and thrills.
Some behind the scenes info on the flick thanks to Cecil.

Anywho, the teaser for the trailer. Manifesting March 6,2016 .

"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Young Guy » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:21 am

Right, this just reeks of feminazism to me. Plus, I love how they picked the fattest and ugliest women they could find to play the busters; any women who is the slightest bit attractive is over sexualised! Might as well put them in business suits.

"I ain't afraid of no patriarchy..."

Return to “Monster Manor”