ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:15 pm

Decided to start Neos as it's an as alternate universe Ultra and its only 12 episodes long. Currently on Episode 2 and I must say the fight scenes so far are considerably more dynamic that what I've seen from the series so far. Mixing in more martial arts and less wrestling than they typically use. Might start Cosmos after Neos is done.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mac Daddy MM
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mac Daddy MM » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:37 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Decided to start Neos as it's an as alternate universe Ultra and its only 12 episodes long. Currently on Episode 2 and I must say the fight scenes so far are considerably more dynamic that what I've seen from the series so far. Mixing in more martial arts and less wrestling than they typically use. Might start Cosmos after Neos is done.

Lol. Going into Cosmos after liking Neo's fights. You won't like it.
Did you miss me?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:13 am

Yeah I know. I'm already well aware of the strict TV violence censorship laws that were in place at the time.

That said I'm on episode 6 of Neos now, featuring special guest star Robert Scott Field (aka Android M11 from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:11 pm

I'm starting episode 35. There's a really nice effect of showing a flashback while Go is driving. In the upper mirror we see the other MAT members telling him to wait on something. Just a cool visual effect.

LSD Jellyfish
Keizer

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17 pm

One thing I'm noticing is a lot of people going back and watching older ultraman shows is they're noting how there are a lot of interesting visual effects and tones that vary from episode to episode. As a result, a lot of episodes stand out from one another. Not trying to sound like an Ultra-Boomer but I think it's another thing that separates older Ultraman from Newer Ultraman. A lot of the newer stuff seems way more sanitized, a byproduct of how commercialized it has become.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:11 am

IDK having been watching chunks of episodes back to back they do kinda blend together to me. I think the Seamons/Seagorath episode was the most interesting FX wise. It definitely had more of a larger budget, almost movie feel to it. The storm/tsunami effects were pretty impressive for a 60s Japanese TV budget.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:30 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:IDK having been watching chunks of episodes back to back they do kinda blend together to me. I think the Seamons/Seagorath episode was the most interesting FX wise. It definitely had more of a larger budget, almost movie feel to it. The storm/tsunami effects were pretty impressive for a 60s Japanese TV budget.

Early 70’s to be exact.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Millenial88
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Millenial88 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:22 pm

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah I know. I'm already well aware of the strict TV violence censorship laws that were in place at the time.

That said I'm on episode 6 of Neos now, featuring special guest star Robert Scott Field (aka Android M11 from Godzilla vs King Ghidorah).

Aren’t those censorship laws stricter now?

Angilasman
Samurai

Postby Angilasman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:23 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:One thing I'm noticing is a lot of people going back and watching older ultraman shows is they're noting how there are a lot of interesting visual effects and tones that vary from episode to episode. As a result, a lot of episodes stand out from one another. Not trying to sound like an Ultra-Boomer but I think it's another thing that separates older Ultraman from Newer Ultraman. A lot of the newer stuff seems way more sanitized, a byproduct of how commercialized it has become.

I think that has largely been the case for the Ultra Series for the majority of its run. The 1990s and 2000s shows I think have similar appeal to the 60s and 70s ones! It's really the toy selling mandate (constant power-ups and transformations not only take up a lot of screen time, but lesson the drama as they tend to replace the problem-solving element that makes each battle interesting) and the smaller budget / resources (think of how newer shows have smaller casts and lack the wealth of location shooting that gave previous shows such variety) tend to make the newer shows weaker.

There's still a lot to like in the newer shows: the casts tend to be likeable and there's some wonderful classic style tokusatsu effects on display, but for me, so far, only Ultraman X really captured that classic Ultraman feel. The toyetic element is a bit too much to take at times, but the focus is still in the large group of characters in the defense team, the monsters of the week are treated like the stars of the episode instead of henchman for a series villain, individual episodes spotlight the various members of the cast, they play around with tone and subject-matter from episode to episode... I want more of that!

Of course, I'm really excited about Shin Ultraman and I hope that brings back a lot of elements that have been missing!

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:58 pm

The decision to omit Ultraman's color-timer for Shin Ultraman is like not giving Godzilla his dorsal plates.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mac Daddy MM
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Mac Daddy MM » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:00 pm

Millenial88 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Yeah I know. I'm already well aware of the strict TV violence censorship laws that were in place at the time.

Aren’t those censorship laws stricter now?

Not sure. But Cosmos' lack of violence stems more from self-censorship than anything. Japan just went through a pretty rough trial and decided to try something new with a pacifist Ultra that doesn't kill... or at least doesn't like to. There's some ideas and kaiju in the series that are pretty neat, I love the Chaos Header mutation idea and really like Chaos Parastan (one of the few Egyptian-themed kaiju we have), Golmede, and the Chaos Ultras.
Did you miss me?

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:05 pm

LegendZilla wrote:The decision to omit Ultraman's color-timer for Shin Ultraman is like not giving Godzilla his dorsal plates.

It's funny you mention this.
Cause originally, Ultraman HAD no color timer. Hell, it's not present in the rising up prop they use when Hyata turns into Ultraman.
The color timer was added cause one of the screen writers said 'He seems to strong, he has no weakness'. So they limited his appearance and made him grow weak/die if he's on our planet to long.

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:12 pm

LamangoKaijura wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:The decision to omit Ultraman's color-timer for Shin Ultraman is like not giving Godzilla his dorsal plates.

It's funny you mention this.
Cause originally, Ultraman HAD no color timer. Hell, it's not present in the rising up prop they use when Hyata turns into Ultraman.
The color timer was added cause one of the screen writers said 'He seems to strong, he has no weakness'. So they limited his appearance and made him grow weak/die if he's on our planet to long.

The addition of a weakness was necessary.
Plus, it has long since become a staple of the character, so why get rid of it.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Terasawa
EDF Soldier

Postby Terasawa » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:13 pm

Yes, in that both are purely visual elements. He'd look weird but could absolutely function without dorsal plates. So, too, could Ultraman without his color timer.
Save All Dubs
奴はもう一度我々のために戦ってくれる。

Resized Image

Angilasman
Samurai

Postby Angilasman » Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:50 pm

The time limit makes less sense in the concept of a feature film running time. In a TV episode it's very helpful.

I like the color timer, though. It isn't necessary. Ultraseven doesn't have one. If I were in charge of an Ultraman movie I'd have it but it would only come into play when Ultraman's strength is really depleting in a long battle or he takes major damage or something. I think it's a fun thing to play around with, but I understand how a creator could see it as a storytelling inconvenience.

Jetty_Jags
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jetty_Jags » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:02 am

I wouldn’t count it out entirely just yet. I mean we’ve seen one promotional image. Who knows what they are choosing to do with it? Maybe it has more significance than we realise? Also has there been any new news on the film?
He Jock it Made of Steel

tyrantgoji
E.S.P.Spy

Postby tyrantgoji » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:45 am

Jetty_Jags wrote:Also has there been any new news on the film?

I wouldn't expect much except for a teaser since it ain't coming till mid 2021.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and i do not regret it.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:01 pm

Don't mind Cosmos so far. I actually like that its trying to do something different with the franchise with its focus on capturing monsters as opposed to outright destroying them.

Added in 5 hours 15 seconds:
I'm rather enjoying the show so far. All the characters have their own distinct personalities and are easily distinguishable from one another.

daveblackeye15
G-Grasper

Postby daveblackeye15 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:30 pm

I want to give Cosmos a shot just because I don't mind the notion of trying to have a different way to solve monster problems. Still...could I put up with it the whole series? I heard people were less split on the movies.

Weird how Return of Ultraman had two episodes that had snow monsters and legends. 'Guys guys let's just make BOTH scripts!' I like the second one more.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:35 am

daveblackeye15 wrote:I want to give Cosmos a shot just because I don't mind the notion of trying to have a different way to solve monster problems. Still...could I put up with it the whole series? I heard people were less split on the movies.

Oh monsters still get destroyed in classic fashion, there's plenty of alien invaders and outright evil monsters that get blown to smithereens by Cosmos. Still there is a big emphasis on natural Earth based monsters, with team EYES constantly coming to blows with the JSDF over whether or not monsters deserve the right to coexist with humans. The series even has its own version of Monster Island where the monsters they save are transported to prevent them from causing further destruction. Being over halfway through the series I honestly don't see where this complaint about the lack of action or violence comes from. I don't feel the action is any more watered down than in other shows in the franchise. Its no less violent really than the original show.

Return to “Monster Manor”