ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby MaxRebo320 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:50 pm

TyrantGojira wrote:So recent scans from the Taiga toyline suggests that
Spoiler:
Skull Gomora might return.

Lol, that's been out for weeks. Skull Gomora, but ALSO FREAKING TAKKONG!!! I'm too excited to see him return. Hopefully Taguchi directs his episode, since Jappa in Orb was originally written for Takkong.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:09 pm

Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm

KingKaiju wrote:Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?

While I would recommend it, I'd be cautious about the Twilight Zone comparison; it's not really in the same tone, and the stories aren't nearly as dramatically or thematically compelling.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:50 pm

It’s got more in common with X-Files as there’s a recurring cast and an emphasis on creatures.

MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby MaxRebo320 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:05 pm

eabaker wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Ultraman's never really appealed to me. But I've always ehard that Ultra Q is more Twighlight Zone and Traditional Kaiju. I'm contemplating getting that new steel book from Mill Creek, but I've only seen a few clips from the actual show. Coming from folks who have more knowledge of this series, is that something that would be worth the buy for someone who's just looking for a solid kaiju/horror show, as opposed to the kaiju superhero show that the Ultraman series seems to be?

While I would recommend it, I'd be cautious about the Twilight Zone comparison; it's not really in the same tone, and the stories aren't nearly as dramatically or thematically compelling.

I do think The Outer Limits is probably the better comparison than The Twilight Zone. But I certainly wouldn't say Q can't be dramatically or thematically compelling. A fair number of episodes like Kanegon's Cocoon, 1/8 People, Open Up! and a few others deal with then-and-still relevant themes that I'd call compelling. And even those that don't deal with any real themes per se still manage to be entertaining sci-fi stories most of the time. I imagine the original Twilight Zone had it's fair share of clunkers.

But no, if you're a fan of classic Toho monster movies from the 50s - 60s, there's no reason you wouldn't enjoy the show at least in doses.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:16 pm

MaxRebo320 wrote:
eabaker wrote:

But I certainly wouldn't say Q can't be dramatically or thematically compelling. A fair number of episodes like Kanegon's Cocoon, 1/8 People, Open Up! and a few others deal with then-and-still relevant themes that I'd call compelling.

I didn't say the show couldn't be dramatically or thematically compelling, just that it's not in the same league as The Twilight Zone on those fronts.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 pm

X files sounds like an interesting comparison. I might have to grab a copy. I’ve seen that steel book for a solid deal on amazon.

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Ultra Q is more of a monster of the week, without Ultraman Showing up. Some of it is pretty goofy, but some of it gets really dark. A lot of it is really unique, due to the lighting and tone. It gets a high reccomendation from me, but I suggest going in blind.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

KingKaiju
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby KingKaiju » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:06 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ultra Q is more of a monster of the week, without Ultraman Showing up. Some of it is pretty goofy, but some of it gets really dark. A lot of it is really unique, due to the lighting and tone. It gets a high reccomendation from me, but I suggest going in blind.

I tried looking up a few episodes on Youtube, but they have no subtitles. I saw one with a giant snail, dubbed, and it was interesting. Saw the steelbook preorder on Amazon for aout $25, so I just went with that. The idea of the show intriques me, it's something I'd like to see the Monsterverse go, if they ever decided to go the TV route.

Birdman
Kwaidan

Postby Birdman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:07 am

Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"

https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

AllosaurHell
Yin-Yang Master

Postby AllosaurHell » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 pm

What if Sompote Sands made a Ultraman vs Godzilla vs Hanuman movie?
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Listen, it's a free country. It's not rent-free country."
- Mr. Ditkovich from Spider-Man 3.

Check out my YouTube channels: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmWOVX-6Whjz3BPwEMXG0Q https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYySx8TfhJp16vDvNTvTlRQ

LegendZilla
Kwaidan

Postby LegendZilla » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:57 pm

AllosaurHell wrote:What if Sompote Sands made a Ultraman vs Godzilla vs Hanuman movie?

You know what, I'm surprised he didn't.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

Ultraman02
Samurai

Postby Ultraman02 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:03 pm

I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.
What did I miss? Who's Taiga, Geed and Orb?
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:09 am

Ultraman02 wrote:I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.

You did't miss much. The series has been taken over by pop idols, generic messages about friendship, and toy merchandising. There's some good action, and some great monsters and moments, but despite the fanservice it really isn't comparable to the older stuff.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

MM Raids Again
Futurian

Postby MM Raids Again » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:19 am

Ultraman02 wrote:I'm a relapsed 90s-2000s Ultrafan.

Well, things have changed. As LSD said, the series has become pretty gimmicky and toy focused, but it does have its ups. Ginga and Ginga S are pretty meh, but X, Orb and Geed are pretty solid shows in general. R/B is pretty blah but Taiga is pretty nice. Taiga is the son of Ultraman Taro and Geed is the son of Ultraman Belial.
Did you miss me?

Gothicserpent
Futurian

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:11 am

Ginga is bad, Ginga S is great, X is good, Orb is excellent, and Geed is just ok
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby Living Corpse » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:25 am

We need another game in the style of Ultraman Fighting Evolution Rebirth. I wanna play as Belial in that style.

darthzilla99
Interpol Agent

Postby darthzilla99 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:28 am

I just wanted to ask, is it wrong that Ultra Q just bores me alot? I mean I know it's the first show, but with the exception of a few episodes, none have really wowed me. The first episode was entertaining, but the rest have not done anything so far. I've watched up to the episode with the lava kaiju and the Tarzan guy. I liked the episode with the Mole monster that had the jealously rivalry with a scientist and another guy. Don't get me wrong. I love showa tokusatsu but it's been eh for me so far.
"Your not coming off as cocky. You come off as an idiot" by SBK.

ray243
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ray243 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 am

Gothicserpent wrote:Ginga is bad, Ginga S is great, X is good, Orb is excellent, and Geed is just ok

I won't say any of them is really that good though. They feel like extremely low-budget production compared to the late 90s to early 2000s era shows. I mean Tiga, Dyna and Gaia had a fair bit of CGI when even bad CGI was extremely expensive for shows to produce.

Ultraman02
Samurai

Postby Ultraman02 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:50 pm

Just rewatched a few episodes from the original Ultraman.
I really like the cheesy 60's Ultraman theme (American and Japanese ones).
For me, that series definitely introduced the "Weirdest" (Not the most ridiculous) Ultra Kaiju, Bullton. Like what the hell is it?
I remember when I was 12 I didn't even know how to beat him in UFR, he literally rolled over me.
Last edited by Ultraman02 on Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a super jet he comes
From a billion miles AWAY!
From a DISTANT PLANET LAND!
COMES OUR HERO,
U L T R A M A N !

" シュワッチ!"

Return to “Monster Manor”