ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Dude, we were just having the discussion about Tsuburaya gaining back the rights to the several shows (Only for them not to let out a peep about it since). But yeah, if you were somehow unaware, the sets for Ultra Q, Ultraman and Ultra Seven were licensed through Golden Media Group, which in turn is licensed through Chaiyo. So one looks pretty silly disavowing any bootlegs for Ultraman when they supported those releases.
Except that's not how it works. At the time, Chaiyo WAS the legal distributor of Ultraman and Ultra Seven for the US. Shout! Factory even talked about this as they initially contacted Tusburaya directly but Tsuburaya told them they had to go through Chaiyo to release Ultra Seven. Whether you like it or not, Chaiyo legally owned the show in the US until more recently. As such, those DVDs from BCI/Millcreek/Shout! were officially licensed products.
Ultraman is the best tho.
Not in my book. My Toku ordering goes:

Sentai
Kamen Rider
Garo
Ultraman
Metal Heroes

I love Ultraman, but honestly, UM is the most repetitious of the Toku franchises. If you've seen a few series, you've pretty much seen them all. Though, I do love the continuity aspect they try to do with each Ultra series whereas every Sentai show is in its own universe.

So basically, you want to watch Ultraman legally, but don't want to support streaming services, so you're just not going to watch it in general? Alright. You're missing out on some great stuff though.
I know I'm missing out on great stuff, but that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Plus, I've already watched half of the shows that were streaming on Crunchyroll as I got though Leo, Nexus, X, Ginga, Orb, and Geed before it left. We really wanted to watch Max and Mebius, but oh well.

Nevertheless, all of these shows are available on Blu-Ray in Japan, so there is no reason why they should not be available on BD in the US.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

so i haven't been keeping up with Ultraman..... at all. but i wanted to ask if there was any Kaiju in particular you want to see come back.

i want Pagos back, he's pretty much the Varan of the Ultra series at this point. just give him a new episode already!

and Jirass, i know he came back in that live show but i wonder if Toho is ever gonna let him be in another episode...

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

tyrantgoji wrote:so i haven't been keeping up with Ultraman..... at all. but i wanted to ask if there was any Kaiju in particular you want to see come back.
Has Bado appeared at all recently?
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:so i haven't been keeping up with Ultraman..... at all. but i wanted to ask if there was any Kaiju in particular you want to see come back.
Has Bado appeared at all recently?
don't think so..

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

He appeared in Geed.

Added in 2 minutes 56 seconds:
That reminds me - I haven't posted the scans for this month.

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Oh god, now we have baby Guesra?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Oh! REALLY glad to see Diabolic and Zegan back. And yay... Galactron. At least there doesn't seem to be another Grand King.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

I wonder if they’re saving Baltan for a multi-episode arc or they realized that they cannot do any better than his appearance in Max.

Added in 7 minutes 27 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:Oh! REALLY glad to see Diabolic and Zegan back. And yay... Galactron. At least there doesn't seem to be another Grand King.
Hey, blame Chaiyo (and now Blue Arc) for these kaiju rehashes. It’s Tsuburaya’s way of asserting their copyright over thieves like them.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Millenial88 wrote:
Hey, blame Chaiyo (and now Blue Arc) for these kaiju rehashes. It’s Tsuburaya’s way of asserting their copyright over thieves like them.
lolwut

It has nothing to do with Chaiyo or anything, it's just Tsuburaya reusing costumes to save money.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:
lolwut

It has nothing to do with Chaiyo or anything, it's just Tsuburaya reusing costumes to save money.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Well that's the first I've heard of this. I guess August is as reputable of a source as anyone else. Still, reusing costumes makes more sense than rehashing monsters every year.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

That's actively bullshit in some ways though, since they literally use a shit ton of monsters from the series in stage shows.
Hell, some of the most obscure monsters are in stage shows. They could literally use Darii, who has been in several stage shows, but won't. Cause people recognize RedKing and Gomora and Eleking more.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Well that's the first I've heard of this. I guess August is as reputable of a source as anyone else. Still, reusing costumes makes more sense than rehashing monsters every year.
It wouldn’t surprise me if I learned that all three Grigios were made from the same Shepardon costume.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Anyone watching the anime show on Netflix? Good continuation of the original show. CGI anime is just bleh though...
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just watched the first episode of Ultraman Taiga. Really liked the new kaiju, Hellberus. Pretty neat powers, but nothing we really haven't seen before. Decent start up to the series.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Oh it premiered? Anyone actually going to stream this season? Or does Tsuburaya just not care about piracy?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

That was a really rip-roaring start. Easily the best LOOKING show since at least Orb, possibly even (Dare I say it) Mebius. You can really see the money put into this, and hopefully it keeps throughout the series. Shame on Tsuburaya for not simulcasting this (Not that I'm surprised), but I was quite pleased to see a good three fansub groups on the job almost right away, whereas only one really worked on R/B, and was pretty inconsistent with releases (Not that I'm mad - I understand they have lives outside of this, but it is annoying there are groups like TVNihon and Over-Time that are subbing the exact same Sentai/Rider shows when when of them could be doing Ultraman).

I was a little annoyed to not see Ultrawoman Grigio with all of the other New Gen. Ultras at the beginning, though who knows, maybe she's off training somewhere or something. Hopefully she appears down the road though. Why not have her team up with the OTHER Ultra-sister Amia (Who also hails from U-40 like Titus)?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

The first ep of Taiga didn’t really do it for me on the first watch, but it has grown on me very well upon the last two rewatches. Effects-wise, TsuPro has really stepped up its CGI game. It still looks plastic-y, but it integrates itself into the usual high-quality practical work much more effectively than before. Put simply , it looks less PS2 and more PS3.

Plus, I will call it right now: the president/commander of EGIS will end up being the human host of someone close to Taiga
Last edited by Millenial88 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tsupro should really break up the formula in future shows.