ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
Gothicserpent
Futurian
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Gothicserpent » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:58 pm

Prepare for Gubila......again
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14018
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:00 pm

Birdman wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:Knight Fang is honestly ‘second-to-final episode’ tier imposing.
Here’s hoping the show doesn’t blow its creativity load so quickly.

I hate to crush your hopes, but this is a timeline of the first 11 episodes.


He wasn't hoping it was a final villain, he was saying that it's a kaiju that looks like it would be a final boss. He's also hoping that the show doesn't have all it's best designed monsters in the first few episodes.

(And I'm hoping I got all that right! :) )
Image

Millenial88
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Millenial88 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:48 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Birdman wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:Knight Fang is honestly ‘second-to-final episode’ tier imposing.
Here’s hoping the show doesn’t blow its creativity load so quickly.

I hate to crush your hopes, but this is a timeline of the first 11 episodes.


He wasn't hoping it was a final villain, he was saying that it's a kaiju that looks like it would be a final boss. He's also hoping that the show doesn't have all it's best designed monsters in the first few episodes.

(And I'm hoping I got all that right! :) )


99.99%

User avatar
MM Raids Again
Futurian
Posts: 1662
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby MM Raids Again » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:18 pm

Loving the new kaiju. That first one reminds me of the old school Zarkorr from the '90s. REALLY glad to see Gymaira returning, he was my second favorite 80 kaiju. Now if they'd bring back Mechagillas and Margodon.
Did you miss me?

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:50 am

Another show where the main character uses powers from the previous characters? Ugh.

User avatar
Birdman
Kwaidan
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 am
Location: guess

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Birdman » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 am

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Another show where the main character uses powers from the previous characters? Ugh.

We have no confirmation of that yet.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"


https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Image

User avatar
MaxRebo320
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2221
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm
Location: albaquarky
Contact:

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby MaxRebo320 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:47 pm

So yeah, I'm a little late to the party, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Taiga being Taro's son is the weakest link (Seriously, enough offsprings of past Ultras already), but Titus being from U-40 is too damn cool and something I never expected to see again. As for Taiga being gay...I would love to see a (confirmed) gay Ultra, but I doubt that's the case here. And if it were, I'd find it a little upsetting that he needs to be understood and accepted for his sexuality on a "perfect world" like the Land of Light. Surely they would have accepted anyone of any orientation long before we did.

MM Raids Again wrote:REALLY glad to see Gymaira returning, he was my second favorite 80 kaiju. Now if they'd bring back Mechagillas and Margodon.


Or Noislar, especially considering they have a perfectly good suit for him.
Image
Same applies to Peguila, Banila, Aboras, Guyros, Kettle and Snowgon. But I'm sure we're just gonna get Mecha Gomora again.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

User avatar
Loganrules115
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 387
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Loganrules115 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:50 pm

Netflix's Ultraman didn't give the best of first impressions, but it seems to get better as it goes along.
Planet X did nothing wrong. :xilien:

Millenial88
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Millenial88 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:11 am

Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Honestly, Titus and Fuma look a lot more appealing thanks to their side profiles

User avatar
LegendZilla
Kwaidan
Posts: 5536
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:57 am
Location: Slocan Park, British Colombia, Canada

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby LegendZilla » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:22 am

^It's cool to see Jonias back. Makes me wonder if we'll hear a sample of his theme.
Formerly Kaijucole in 2006.

User avatar
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 917
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Darth Kiryu » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:42 am

Still not sure about Titus, but Fuma is looking great!
Image
Click the image to join Kaiju Galaxy 2.0! Along with standard kaiju and tokusatsu discussion, we're a hub for fan creativity!

User avatar
Birdman
Kwaidan
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 am
Location: guess

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Birdman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:17 am



Ultraman Taiga Official Trailer
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"


https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Image

User avatar
TheDolphinKaijuGod
Samurai
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:35 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby TheDolphinKaijuGod » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:15 am

Well, that looks awfully decent.

Sad that they apparently aren't getting rid of the Power Rangers poop though
Resized Image 

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:16 pm

TheDolphinKaijuGod wrote:Well, that looks awfully decent.

Sad that they apparently aren't getting rid of the Power Rangers poop though


Power Rangers poop?

User avatar
Birdman
Kwaidan
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 am
Location: guess

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Birdman » Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:57 pm

He's referring to the gimmicks, and as long as Bandai has part-ownership of Tsuburaya, they're not gonna go anytime soon. Just be glad they haven't given into them fully like Toei has.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"


https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Image

Millenial88
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Millenial88 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:59 am

Birdman wrote:He's referring to the gimmicks, and as long as Bandai has part-ownership of Tsuburaya, they're not gonna go anytime soon. Just be glad they haven't given into them fully like Toei has.


The 20-second integrated commercials henshin sequences drag down the proceedings already. I can’t imagine how Toei bows down to them.

User avatar
Birdman
Kwaidan
Posts: 6054
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 am
Location: guess

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Birdman » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:30 am

Millenial88 wrote:
Birdman wrote:He's referring to the gimmicks, and as long as Bandai has part-ownership of Tsuburaya, they're not gonna go anytime soon. Just be glad they haven't given into them fully like Toei has.


The 20-second integrated commercials henshin sequences drag down the proceedings already. I can’t imagine how Toei bows down to them.

Would you rather we had to deal with the abnoxiously loud and ridiculous plentiful gimmicks Kamen Rider has as well?

Ultraman had moved on and it's not turning back. Accept that or find something else.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"


https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Image

Millenial88
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 341
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:23 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Millenial88 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:33 am

Birdman wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:
Birdman wrote:He's referring to the gimmicks, and as long as Bandai has part-ownership of Tsuburaya, they're not gonna go anytime soon. Just be glad they haven't given into them fully like Toei has.


The 20-second integrated commercials henshin sequences drag down the proceedings already. I can’t imagine how Toei bows down to them.

Would you rather we had to deal with the abnoxiously loud and ridiculous plentiful gimmicks Kamen Rider has as well?

Ultraman had moved on and it's not turning back. Accept that or find something else.
I’m not attacking it, just pointing it out.

If anything, the fact that Ultraman isn’t as garish as Sentai/KR in terms of gimmicks makes me like it even more than I already do

User avatar
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Kaiju no Kami » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:41 pm

Frankly, as long as the gimmicks don't run the writing the show, they're fine. Kamen Rider Gaim is a perfect example of a show that can utilize its gimmick while still being top notch in the writing department. Same goes for Build despite the last 9 episodes being a tad lackluster. Also, Orb is one of the best Ultra series out there and that has a gimmick.

User avatar
Gothicserpent
Futurian
Posts: 1648
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Postby Gothicserpent » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:18 pm

I just wish the transformations were shorter.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest