ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
mikenes wrote:I can't wait to see what Tsuburaya will do now. I seriously hope that they release all the Ultraman shows on CR.
That would be a dream come true, but I'd also kill for some DVD/Blu-Ray releases over here too.

And with actually good quality English dubs. Ooooooh Yeah! That'd be a dream come true! (for me at least)
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Robogodzilla1995
Ronin

Post by Robogodzilla1995 »

This is some wonderful news, maybe we can actually see the first 6 ultra series on dvds now.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Birdman wrote:Could this also mean we could finally get an American Ultraman movie?
Please no.
I figured so. Ultraman I'd imagine while not as popular as Godzilla outside of Japan, however has a bit more exposure then Gamera does.
No. Gamera got exposed multiple times on Comedy Central with MST3K.
Last edited by LamangoKaijura on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Robogodzilla1995 wrote:This is some wonderful news, maybe we can actually see the first 6 ultra series on dvds now.
Well we did have the first 3.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
I figured so. Ultraman I'd imagine while not as popular as Godzilla outside of Japan, however has a bit more exposure then Gamera does.
I think your overstating the influence of MST3K quite a bit.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
You...You do know that MST3K was huge back in the 90's right? It even had it's own dedicated chat server on AOL. :roll:
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:
You...You do know that MST3K was huge back in the 90's right? It even had it's own dedicated chat server on AOL. :roll:
Yeah, while Ultraman is remembered pretty well by people who were able to watch it when it was first airing in the US, outside of that audience it's mostly only known by Tokusatsu fans here in the US.

MST3K, meanwhile, made a pretty big cross-section of viewers aware of Gamera.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

I know that it is a bit early to give a definite answer, but surely one can gauge Ultraman Geed the show since we are almost at the end of the series. So how would you guys rate this show and place it in order of satisfaction as a percentage starting with Ginga up to now? Here's my grading for the shows since Ginga:

Ginga 50% (It was better than not having a show at all)
Ginga S 65% (Noticable improvement from the previous show)
X 85% (A leap forward, especially with the special effects and the storytellig, plus I enjoyed the new kaiju)
Orb 87% (I would say that it was at least on par with X, but there were some really cool fighting scenes and Thunder Breaster took the cake for me)
Geed 75% ( The premise sounded cool when it was announced even though the design of Geeds face took some getting used to)

How do you guys rate them? I'm curious.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Oh boy!

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Ultraman anime incoming!

http://anime.heros-ultraman.com/

(featuring the manga version)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

GigaBowserG wrote:Ultraman anime incoming!

http://anime.heros-ultraman.com/

(featuring the manga version)

Last edited by GodzillaFreak99 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

mikenes wrote:I know that it is a bit early to give a definite answer, but surely one can gauge Ultraman Geed the show since we are almost at the end of the series. So how would you guys rate this show and place it in order of satisfaction as a percentage starting with Ginga up to now? Here's my grading for the shows since Ginga:

X 85% (A leap forward, especially with the special effects and the storytellig, plus I enjoyed the new kaiju)
Orb 87% (I would say that it was at least on par with X, but there were some really cool fighting scenes and Thunder Breaster took the cake for me)
Geed 75% ( The premise sounded cool when it was announced even though the design of Geeds face took some getting used to)

I stopped watching Geed since Chimeraboros appeared. I'll probably eventually finish it, but with X and Orb I was always excited to see what happened next week.

Have the recent episodes been any sort of step up?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

mikenes wrote:I know that it is a bit early to give a definite answer, but surely one can gauge Ultraman Geed the show since we are almost at the end of the series. So how would you guys rate this show and place it in order of satisfaction as a percentage starting with Ginga up to now? Here's my grading for the shows since Ginga:

If you don’t mind, I’ll go into this with a ‘pyramid system’:

X is at the tippity-top for me. The first 11 episodes were just a flurry of strong storytelling and great effects work. After Exceed X shows up, the show took a very minor dip in quality, but still packed a ton of satisfaction (the Nexus ep was a particular standout). The final two-parter felt dry, but the movie seriously made up for it.

Right underneath that is Orb. It didn’t hit with me as strongly as X; the first two eps. felt a bit flat, but from episode 3 on I was in. After Ginga S1, I wasn’t 100% with breaking away from the defense team model but the SSP, while not memorable, ended up being a comfortable presence, made all the better with Shibukawa (mainly cuz I like his voice).

Also, episode 11. Goddamnit, I love episode 11.

Ginga S and Geed share the spot underneath. Both feel a bit ropey in places, but for the most part, they are just fun. Ginga S has some sins to atone for and did it beautifully with the first episode. The one where they actually introduce Ginga S felt horribly rushed, IMO, but that was a minor speed bump. And let’s not forget that this show introduced us to Kiyotaka Taguchi, who crafted the BEST episodes of this series in my book (episode 12 pretty much made the show for me)

Geed is still ongoing, of course, so I can’t say much. I will say that apart from Geed Primitive, I’m not digging the main designs (Solid Burning especially). Also, I can’t help but feel like this series is the Community Season 4 of this current wave of Ultraman shows. It’s entertaining, no question, but something inexplicable isn’t there a lot of the time.

Ginga S1 is just...no
Last edited by Millenial88 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Millenial88 wrote:Right underneath tht is Orb. It didn’t hit with me as strongly as X; the first two eps. felt a bit flat, but from episode 3 on I was in. After Ginga S1, I wasn’t 100% with breaking away from the defense team model but the SSP, while not memorable, ended up being a comfortable presence, made all the better with Shibukawa (mainly cuz I like his voice).

Episodes 14 and 15 of Orb were (in my opinion) were two of the best episodes in the entire Ultra franchise. Not to mention the fact that they gifted us with my spirit animal:

GALACTRON

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
Millenial88 wrote:Right underneath tht is Orb. It didn’t hit with me as strongly as X; the first two eps. felt a bit flat, but from episode 3 on I was in. After Ginga S1, I wasn’t 100% with breaking away from the defense team model but the SSP, while not memorable, ended up being a comfortable presence, made all the better with Shibukawa (mainly cuz I like his voice).

Episodes 14 and 15 of Orb were (in my opinion) were two of the best episodes in the entire Ultra franchise. Not to mention the fact that they gifted us with my spirit animal:

GALACTRON
Those two hit me hard, especially THAT ending to ep 14

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I'm more excited for the Gridman anime!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 3181864960
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

I found myself incredibly irritated on how Kei got the capsules because it was so convenient and dumb. So, they were willing for the entire planet to be completely doomed just to save one person? That is so --------. Also, the part with that girl dying and Moa crying was pretty cringey.
Long Live The King

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

Hokmuto wrote:I found myself incredibly irritated on how Kei got the capsules because it was so convenient and dumb. So, they were willing for the entire planet to be completely doomed just to save one person? That is so --------. Also, the part with that girl dying and Moa crying was pretty cringey.
Honestly I don't see why Zero didnt just save the girl himself while Riku and gang had Kei distraction, I thought that was going to happen.

I honestly found that girl annoying, Kei should have killed her from the moment he regained his memory, oh well at least she is dead, I didn't care for Moa crying over her either.

King Galactron was cool, I noticed that cybernetic Godzilla roar. ;) I think it's safe to say that King Galactron was the main attraction of this episode.

On a scale of 1 to 5 I give this episode a mid 3.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

mikenes
EDF Instructor

Post by mikenes »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I'm more excited for the Gridman anime!

https://mobile.twitter.com/RagoneAugust ... 3181864960
I too, am looking forward to this eagerly. From the looks of it, the Godzilla anime movie wasn't as huge hit as they wanted it to be, so I'm hoping that this revamped Gridman anime as well as the Ultraman anime shows that have been announced open up new possibilities in the anime realm for kaiju genre shows.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Considering the Ultraman anime is based on the manga, I'd call it anything but "kaiju".