ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:I remember when I watched the first Let's Talk Toku and being surprised when it was mentioned that Stan Lee (partially) came up with Sentai,
I haven't seen the video you're talking about but as far as I know that's not true in any way.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Terasawa wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:I remember when I watched the first Let's Talk Toku and being surprised when it was mentioned that Stan Lee (partially) came up with Sentai,
I haven't seen the video you're talking about but as far as I know that's not true in any way.
Oh. Either I'm remembering things wrong or they lied about that. Considering they've said Ultraman is "xenophobic" quite a lot, I'm guessing the latter.

I do know he had some involvement, though.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Saban is a cultural crook and it’s good he never got too much done with Ultraman.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Angilasman wrote:^ I think an International co-production of some sort is the next step. I won't be surprised when it happens, but it will be cool to see!

I think the CW would be a good fit for an American tokusatsu show. Their soapy genre shows are no more ridiculous than your average children's superhero show from Japan, so I think not a lot would have to be changed!
Well they did kinda gave us a scene of a giant superhero already.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ray243 wrote:
Angilasman wrote:^ I think an International co-production of some sort is the next step. I won't be surprised when it happens, but it will be cool to see!

I think the CW would be a good fit for an American tokusatsu show. Their soapy genre shows are no more ridiculous than your average children's superhero show from Japan, so I think not a lot would have to be changed!
Well they did kinda gave us a scene of a giant superhero already.

I did not know Arrowverse CGI could get that bad but considering there was an unironic usage of Leeroy Jenkins in Supergirl very recently, I'm not surprised.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Oh. Either I'm remembering things wrong or they lied about that. Considering they've said Ultraman is "xenophobic" quite a lot, I'm guessing the latter.

I do know he had some involvement, though.
To be fair, neither Marvel nor Toei's tokusatsu are my areas of expertise, but I'm pretty sure Lee had nothing to do with the development of Battle Fever J (the first "Super Sentai" and the first with a Marvel involvement). The inclusion of Spider-Man's transforming robot in the Toei series seems to have been a Japanese creation, too.

Lee did, however, try to produce an Americanization of at least one of the Super Sentai shows (Sun Vulcan).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

While we didn't get Jirass (now Jirahs I guess...) physically appearing in Z, I think we can all agree that his snazzy frill gave Telesdon some cool new tricks.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Dracosaurian wrote:While we didn't get Jirass (now Jirahs I guess...) physically appearing in Z, I think we can all agree that his snazzy frill gave Telesdon some cool new tricks.

I love the effect when Erimaki blocks the Zestium beam.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I guess Telesdon is kind of growing on me. I do like the spin attack and I'm pretty sure the X series gave him that. So the frill is growing on me too.
I'm annoyed that the Ace set always translates Choju as 'terrible monster.' It's just annoying to read it every time and I prefer if most of the time they kept it at Choju.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

daveblackeye15 wrote: I'm annoyed that the Ace set always translates Choju as 'terrible monster.' It's just annoying to read it every time and I prefer if most of the time they kept it at Choju.
It makes sense when Yapool called them that, since they were his kaiju, but everyone else? Why do they do that?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I mean I'm assuming this is a case of 'do we translate this or keep it the same?' I think I'd prefer it if they said 'Choju' and there would be an extra subtitle of NOTE: Choju means Terrible Monster m'kay?

It's like when I see some of the translations for Kabuto Kouji from Mazinger Z I hear the bad guy goings 'Die Kabuto Kouji!' but I read the sub-title, even though I KNOW that stock phrase I still read 'die Kouji Kabuto' and I'm like 'no don't switch the names around! Keep it surname first!' I just can't stop myself from reading it.

I'm only on episode but damn does Akiji Kobayashi have a very distinct head and face. I see him in Kamen Rider and I'm like 'oh crap he's the captain from Ultraman!'

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Question: I've started Ultraman Nexus before and only got a few episodes in. I am interested in going back to it, but can I watch Ultraman The Next first? I don't know the relation between the two series.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Question: I've started Ultraman Nexus before and only got a few episodes in. I am interested in going back to it, but can I watch Ultraman The Next first? I don't know the relation between the two series.
Watch The Next first, it's a movie that serves as a prequel to Nexus. Stuff in the show will make more sense afterwards.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh that's good to know.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Does anyone have ideas for names of potential modes for Zett in the future? For a form that combines the power of X, Orb and Geed, Epsilon fusion. What do you think a form utilizing the powers of Nexus, Max and Mebius would be called? I think it should have delta in the name.

Saturndusk
Monarch Researcher

Post by Saturndusk »

LegendZilla wrote:Does anyone have ideas for names of potential modes for Zett in the future? For a form that combines the power of X, Orb and Geed, Epsilon fusion. What do you think a form utilizing the powers of Nexus, Max and Mebius would be called? I think it should have delta in the name.
Don’t know how that will work with Riku getting the Ginga, X and Orb medals for his new form.

I imagine Zett’s next two forms would be Omega —— and Delta ——-
There’s no point in being grownup if you can’t be childish sometimes.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

The odds are that a ton of you are probably getting tired of the trend of modern Ultras utilizing the powers of their predesessors. If they were to continue it however, I’d say let the original Ultraman himself join in on the fun one day. I mean, they did give Ultraman Zero a new form in Geed and it seems that Geed himself is getting a new mode in Zett. I know he is the first, but that does not mean he can’t acquire a new transformation harnessing the powers of Ultras who came after him.

I’d say he’d do something similar to Zero’s Beyond mode and utilize capsules that embody the powers of his brothers-at-arms, that being Zoffy, Seven, Jack, Ace and Taro. What do you think such a mode would be called? I imagine Brotherhood Charge. Also, what kinds of new abilities do you think he’d acquire?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:43 am, edited 6 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Just rewatched Episode 4 of Z. Does anyone know what that armored seijin that appears during the next-time is? Is it a newbie or something familiar?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Are you talking about Juggler?
This guy right? https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/ult ... 1226145557
He's from Ultraman Orb.
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.