PROJECT NEMESIS

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Living Corpse
Kwaidan

Re: PROJECT NEMESIS

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:22 pm

My feelings on the book put aside, that is a BADASS cinematic moment right there.

Komenja
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Komenja » Mon May 22, 2017 12:28 pm

Sooooo, anyone know what's up with remaining issues of the Island 731 comic? I haven't been able to find anything on 4, 5 or 6 aside from pre-publication covers.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image
ToxicLove wrote: How will we ever sell Godzilla Unit 731 playsets?

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Mon May 22, 2017 6:55 pm

Komenja wrote:Sooooo, anyone know what's up with remaining issues of the Island 731 comic? I haven't been able to find anything on 4, 5 or 6 aside from pre-publication covers.

I haven't got the issues as of yet either. I wonder if it has something to do with Robinson's own personal problems ?
"A wraith man ! A ghost ! A evil spirit-and it ain't cool !"

Komenja
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Komenja » Tue May 23, 2017 5:04 pm

Oh snap, I had no idea! It's good to hear the brain tumor was fake, but the rest of that's still rough.
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

American Godzilla
Samurai

Postby American Godzilla » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:51 pm

I have a general question(s) about the kaiju Nemesis. I have long heard, but haven't gotten around to reading her tales till just now (just started reading 'Project Nemesis'). From hearing about Nemesis from online, she sounds to be a dangerous and powerful Kaiju.

Question 1: How dangerous/hot is Nemesis 'Self-Immolation' and her "Divine Judgment" vs (say) 2014 Godzilla's Atomic Breath? Could this hurt Godzilla?

Question 2: I've heard that Nemesis is fast considering she's 350' tall. Is she faster than 2014 Godzilla? I've also heard that she grows bigger the more she east. In theory, could she outgrow Godzilla (meaning does she NOT have an upperlimit to her growth?)

Question 3: What did you think of "Project Nemesis"?
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 pm

So I went ahead and read Project Nemesis since y'all are going on and on about it. I wish I hadn't.

To put it bluntly, Nemesis was a terrible book. From the narrator to the style to the action it was a worthy opponent to Kingdom of Monsters in how bad it was. Nemesis was just a walking plot device,
Spoiler:
her father
was an "I Win" button since the author wrote themselves into a corner concerning how to beat the beastie. Endo and Gordon just happen. Sheriff lady is there for the narrator to gawk at. I really feel like tearing into it any further would just be cruelty at this point.

I know there are more books in the series but I'm not sure if I will read them. The first book left such a bad impression that I really feel avoiding anything that explicitly calls itself a "Kaiju thriller" is a good way to avoid wasting time. It bums me out that it wasn't any better.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:03 pm

American Godzilla wrote:I have a general question(s) about the kaiju Nemesis. I have long heard, but haven't gotten around to reading her tales till just now (just started reading 'Project Nemesis'). From hearing about Nemesis from online, she sounds to be a dangerous and powerful Kaiju.

Question 1: How dangerous/hot is Nemesis 'Self-Immolation' and her "Divine Judgment" vs (say) 2014 Godzilla's Atomic Breath? Could this hurt Godzilla?

Question 2: I've heard that Nemesis is fast considering she's 350' tall. Is she faster than 2014 Godzilla? I've also heard that she grows bigger the more she eats. In theory, could she outgrow Godzilla (meaning does she NOT have an upperlimit to her growth?)

Good book, good kaiju tale with a good dose of the proper daikaiju action, with the proper dash of horror. Nemesis' growth ,height tops out at 350 feet. Her feeding frenzy was driven to mainly by her growth process in the course of the first novel. Now mainly the Queen of the Monsters eats just when she's hungry like most creatures. Also looking at her slimmer build, and her stance, I wouldn't be too surprised Nemesis would be more swift ,agile than the 2014 incarnation of the King of Monsters. Her "Self-Immolation", I'd actually consider more dangerous, deadly , than the Big-G's atomic ray. When she pierces one of her glowing orange membranes, or it ends up getting punctured. The blast that occurs when the fluid hits the open air, from how its described, has the explosive power equal to a fuel air bomb. And has been shown to take out a couple of city blocks in its wake. Godzilla's oral beam, while quite powerful, and effective in dispensing destruction upon whatever it hits. Is less destructive, a bit less dangerous. It could at least stagger the King of the Monsters. Whatever Godzilla is aiming for, wanting to destroy with it, will four out of five times will nail what Godzilla wants to nail. Nemesis' "Devine Judgement" ,
focusing sunlight, ambient light through the crystals that adorn her unfurled wings, I'd have to say the blast they fire are at least as powerful as Godzilla's Spiral Death Ray. But the more I think about it the Devine Judgement might be on the same level as Gamera's Mana Beam.I think Godzilla could survive it, but won't be happy afterwards.

American Godzilla
Samurai

Postby American Godzilla » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:38 am

The One and Only wrote:
American Godzilla wrote:I have a general question(s) about the kaiju Nemesis. I have long heard, but haven't gotten around to reading her tales till just now (just started reading 'Project Nemesis'). From hearing about Nemesis from online, she sounds to be a dangerous and powerful Kaiju.

Question 2: I've heard that Nemesis is fast considering she's 350' tall. Is she faster than 2014 Godzilla? I've also heard that she grows bigger the more she eats. In theory, could she outgrow Godzilla (meaning does she NOT have an upperlimit to her growth?)

Good book, good kaiju tale with a good dose of the proper daikaiju action, with the proper dash of horror. Nemesis' growth ,height tops out at 350 feet. Her feeding frenzy was driven to mainly by her growth process in the course of the first novel. Now mainly the Queen of the Monsters eats just when she's hungry like most creatures. Also looking at her slimmer build, and her stance, I wouldn't be too surprised Nemesis would be more swift ,agile than the 2014 incarnation of the King of Monsters. Her "Self-Immolation", I'd actually consider more dangerous, deadly , than the Big-G's atomic ray. When she pierces one of her glowing orange membranes, or it ends up getting punctured. The blast that occurs when the fluid hits the open air, from how its described, has the explosive power equal to a fuel air bomb. And has been shown to take out a couple of city blocks in its wake. Godzilla's oral beam, while quite powerful, and effective in dispensing destruction upon whatever it hits. Is less destructive, a bit less dangerous. It could at least stagger the King of the Monsters. Whatever Godzilla is aiming for, wanting to destroy with it, will four out of five times will nail what Godzilla wants to nail. Nemesis' "Devine Judgement" ,
focusing sunlight, ambient light through the crystals that adorn her unfurled wings, I'd have to say the blast they fire are at least as powerful as Godzilla's Spiral Death Ray. But the more I think about it the Devine Judgement might be on the same level as Gamera's Mana Beam.I think Godzilla could survive it, but won't be happy afterwards.

Wow, thanks for the info! I really appreciate it :) You've made me eager to read the book even more now. I wonder if (or when) they will make Project Nemesis as a movie.
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Postby Showa Gyaos » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:25 pm

Saansilt wrote:So I went ahead and read Project Nemesis since y'all are going on and on about it. I wish I hadn't.

To put it bluntly, Nemesis was a terrible book. From the narrator to the style to the action it was a worthy opponent to Kingdom of Monsters in how bad it was. Nemesis was just a walking plot device,
Spoiler:
her father
was an "I Win" button since the author wrote themselves into a corner concerning how to beat the beastie. Endo and Gordon just happen. Sheriff lady is there for the narrator to gawk at. I really feel like tearing into it any further would just be cruelty at this point.

I know there are more books in the series but I'm not sure if I will read them. The first book left such a bad impression that I really feel avoiding anything that explicitly calls itself a "Kaiju thriller" is a good way to avoid wasting time. It bums me out that it wasn't any better.

For these reasons, I can't say that I found the book "terrible," but it certainly was overrated. And your point about Robinson writing himself into a corner feels extremely accurate and is a good way to describe how the story concludes.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Saansilt
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Saansilt » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 pm

The problem here is that there aren't many giant monster books out there and as such folks tend to elevate stuff like this with far more praise than it deserves. Heads up folks, rare junk is still junk in the end.

And yes the ending
Spoiler:
where they somehow find the dad and just give him to the beastie
is a large factor in my disdain for this low end class project.

But no, folks here go gaga over the fact that it has a giant beastie as a plot device that they forget how to see a good story versus a bad one.

It exists. That is the nicest thing I have to say here. Robinson got it published, it sold, and has a cult. A blind one, but a cult. So there is that.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.

Chris55 wrote:Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?

My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Gothicserpent
G-Grasper

Postby Gothicserpent » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Currently listening to in on audiobook. It's alright. The main character is a jackass though.
"HAY ANGUIRUS"
"WHADDA WANT?"
"SUMPTIN FUNNEH GOIN ON, YOU BETTAH CHECK!"
"OKAY"

GTU wrote:There are so many concept versions of Bagan they could give him his own toyline. That's why I'm banking on a Monsterarts sub-line called SH Baganarts.

Komenja
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Komenja » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:03 am

I don't agree that the ending was Robinson "writing himself into a corner."
Spoiler:
Tully being Nemesis' penultimate victim was set up in the beginning of the book when he murdered Maigo and her mother, and it's alluded to when we get the occasional POV from Nemesis. Maigo and Nemesis have become one being with two minds that counter act each other. Nemesis wants to feed so she can grow large and strong enough to properly "judge" humanity without reprisal. Maigo is opposed to this and is constantly trying to reign in Nemesis with minimal success. But the one area their goals align is Alexander Tully. Maigo wants him dead for revenge, Nemesis wants him dead because it's in her job description to punish the guilty and it's the only thing Maigo won't fight against her to accomplish.

Gordon gradually learns all of this from his connection to the Maigo/Nemesis entity, the heart transplant he got. After capturing Tully, he uses this connection to guide her to them. His goal is to offer up Tully to Nemesis to gain her favor, so he can assist her in her mission. The heart transplant is overtaking Gordon. He's losing his humanity and becoming an extension of the same destructive impulse driving Nemesis. (This is explored more in the sequel Project Maigo where he is the primary antagonist, and in Project 731 where Nemesis' true origins are revealed)

Hudson doesn't know any of this, beyond that Nemesis wants to brutally punish people, but he has a hunch Gordon does know, being involved in the monster's rebirth. So when Gordon is spotted on the roof of a building, in a city that Nemesis is heading towards, with a hostage, Hudson plans on going there to get answers. Together with Collins and Endo, he knocks Gordon out of the equation and is faced with the morally unsound decision of sacrificing another human being to appease a giant monster. In doing so, he inadvertently forms the bond with Nemesis that Gordon had wanted to make. Maigo's emotions overtake Nemesis and unleashes their ultimate attack, which sheds Nemesis' armor plating and renders her very vulnerable to military attacks. Nemesis has to retreat to the ocean to heal, solving the immediate issue of a giant monster wiping out humanity.

This action would end up being the major cataclyst for much of Hudson's, Maigo's, and Nemesis' future character development in later entries. Much of the book was built up for this moment and the future events of the series couldn't have happened the way they did without it.
Resized Image

Jacob Kaiju X
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Jacob Kaiju X » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:21 am

Saansilt wrote:So I went ahead and read Project Nemesis since y'all are going on and on about it. I wish I hadn't.

Spoiler:
her father

Yeah, because liking something that you don't makes your opinion matter. What we like is subjective. Now, I haven't completely read Nemesis, but I do remember what I did read, I end up liking it.

Spydrmanjr
Samurai

Postby Spydrmanjr » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:07 pm

I don't see how enjoying some easy reading means that the book has a blind cult following. I still reread Cerasini's books probably once a year like the first three Nemesis books, not because they're great writing but because I enjoy kaiju books. They're fun and remind me of my childhood. It's like rewatching any of the campiest Godzilla films.
Holy crap, I haven't been here in so long they purged my username! I doubt anyone remembers me and I likely don't remember you. Anyone remember when Godzilla: DAMM was announced and its the GameFAQs board, ARena, Gojistomp? Been around since then.

daveblackeye15
Interpol Agent

Postby daveblackeye15 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:22 pm

I've been reading other kaiju books and I think Nemesis best catches what is fun about monsters and keeps them a bit mysterious. The books and characters have their flaws to be sure. I've tried reading Kaiju Winter and Kaiju Epoch and...hoo they are tough to move through I'm afraid.

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 pm

Matt Frank print of Team FC-P, a.k.a Jeremy Robinson's answer to the Coon and Friends featured in PROJECT LEGION.
https://kaijusamurai.deviantart.com/art/Project-Legion-print-708807996

Return to “Monster Manor”