The Cloverfield Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: The Cloverfield Thread

Post by Godzillian »

midquel since it happens during the other movie

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

Ryguy wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:But I wasn't expecting the cloud level to show that this Cloverfield monster was excessively/overly as big as nearly the height of the entire troposphere (...while the Cloverfield monster in the first film was a newborn baby)!
Well for one, not only was the city already covered in thick fog as seen earlier in the movie, but the "baby" in the first film wasn't naturally that huge: it was mutated by the Slusho stuff, as I believe has been confirmed elsewhere. There is no adult in this context: the "baby" was the only individual of its species to reach such a size
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:I was thinking what it would be like if Cloverfield monster as an adult tries to gobble up any kaiju alive.
The one in the first film was never a baby, it just acted like a lost infant animal. I wish people would stop spreading this.
I think it MIGHT'VE been a juvenile, as per the director's words, but it was an abomination and as such was a lot larger than natural. Abrams made no mention of an adult or anything.
But (it seems that) Neville Page did mentioned anything of "adults" once & what i meant is that (I believe) Cloverfield monster's appearance in the film Paradox should be how it would look like when it has grown up since the ita slightly different from that of the 1st film by its facial appearance.
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:51 am, edited 5 times in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Tyrannoraptor wrote:
Ryguy wrote:
Tyrannoraptor wrote:But I wasn't expecting the cloud level to show that this Cloverfield monster was excessively/overly as big as nearly the height of the entire troposphere (...while the Cloverfield monster in the first film was a newborn baby)!
Well for one, not only was the city already covered in thick fog as seen earlier in the movie, but the "baby" in the first film wasn't naturally that huge: it was mutated by the Slusho stuff, as I believe has been confirmed elsewhere. There is no adult in this context: the "baby" was the only individual of its species to reach such a size
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: The one in the first film was never a baby, it just acted like a lost infant animal. I wish people would stop spreading this.
I think it MIGHT'VE been a juvenile, as per the director's words, but it was an abomination and as such was a lot larger than natural. Abrams made no mention of an adult or anything.
But (it seems that) Neville Page did mentioned anything of "adults" once & what i meant is that (I believe) Cloverfield monster's appearance in the film Paradox should be how it would look like when it has grown up since the ita slightly different from that of the 1st film by its facial appearance.
It looked pretty much the same to me, only difference being lighting/angle it was shot/and the fact that there is a 10 year difference in CGI technology. Only difference to me could be height but even then it's debatable because we're not given a *real* shot establishing it's size, only it's head through the clouds.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

"Happens during the events of the others"
No mentions of a giant fuckoff space ship or the attack on New York.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Did you miss all the discussion of other dimensions and how the "paradox" could unleash monsters/demons all over different times?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

I actually enjoyed the semi-creepy Paradox, but I feel it's the weakest of the franchise. The ending was expected but I wouldve obscured Clovers head instead of a full on rouring facial. Maybe just a tentacle and a shadow? Like how 10 Cloverfield Lane ended with the spaceship lightning lighting the cloud silhouette
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The Cloverfield movie franchise is the most annoying in all of cinema. I just want some kind of actual follow up to the first film.... You can keep making your "sorta" sequels/prequels Abrams if you just do that!
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Cookson wrote:The Cloverfield movie franchise is the most annoying in all of cinema. I just want some kind of actual follow up to the first film.... You can keep making your "sorta" sequels/prequels Abrams if you just do that!
What's to follow up, though? All the characters are dead, and the movie was never about the monsters in any meaningful way.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

eabaker wrote:
Cookson wrote:The Cloverfield movie franchise is the most annoying in all of cinema. I just want some kind of actual follow up to the first film.... You can keep making your "sorta" sequels/prequels Abrams if you just do that!
What's to follow up, though? All the characters are dead, and the movie was never about the monsters in any meaningful way.
I think he just means he wants another film about the monster attack in NYC

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
Matt Revees originally wanted to do the same attack from a different group of people. They could have done a trilogy like this and it would have been original for cinema at the time.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Matt Revees originally wanted to do the same attack from a different group of people. They could have done a trilogy like this and it would have been original for cinema at the time.
Pretty solid idea, it has lots of potential

LegendaryMonster
GPN Volunteer

Post by LegendaryMonster »

I like getting these new stories for each movie not that I wouldn’t love more monster action. I’m happy with how it’s going though eagerly awaiting Overlord!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I don’t really know what having other perspectives could really add to the original film. Things would be switched up, but otherwise it’ll be the same plot.

What I liked about 10CL was that it was a good movie on its own that had some tie ins, and was released in the same mystery box format that added some unusual elements to normal genres.
Those two films opened the possibility of a nice anthology, that remixed tired genres, with a sense of mystery and wonder.

Paradox was space horror which has been done to death.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Tyrannoraptor
Monsterland Worker

Post by Tyrannoraptor »

LamangoKaijura wrote:No, they mention 'It's LIKE a baby looking for its mother so Clover was 'LIKE A BABY IN A NEW WORLD' it's not to be taken literally.
So did you mean it's that the creature was not a baby but just (stated to be) acting as if it's looking for its mother while other people tend to misinterpret this?
Last edited by Tyrannoraptor on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:14 am, edited 4 times in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Remeber the bridge scene in Cloverfield where our cameraman sees another man with camera and they make eye/lens contact for a moment? They toyed around with the idea doing another film in that same night but from that guys point of view.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:Remeber the bridge scene in Cloverfield where our cameraman sees another man with camera and they make eye/lens contact for a moment? They toyed around with the idea doing another film in that same night but from that guys point of view.
Ahhh yeah, I remember when that was the hype for a sequel. Always loved that idea.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

"Alternate Ending" to 10 CLOVERFIELD LANE

On the subject of Clover in CLOVERFIELD being actually in fact an infant, or newborn to be specific. According to those involved in the production of the original flick, from creature designer Neville Page, director Matt Reeves. The man himself J.J. Abrams, and co-producer Bryan Burke. It was always intended for Clover to be an infant form of his species. Burke stated that part of what made Clover scary to him, was the fact the daikaiju was reacting to its surroundings like a panicked animal. Which he, Burke, pointed out makes an animal quite frightening to deal with. And as someone whose dealt with cows, especially when your trying to contain them. And they feel penned in, they can get quite dangerous. I know most of the info was shared about Clover's life cycle in the DVD/Blu-Ray behind the scenes extras, and not on the film proper. But I had always been under the impression that with Abrams and company intending CLOVERFIELD to be the ground floor to a new franchise. I had figured a lot of the stuff regarding Clover's development from newborn to adulthood had been plotted out during production so down the line it could be used as framework for sequels. Rather liked the fact that they had spent some time fleshing this stuff out beforehand. Gave the project a little more gravitas once you think about it.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

That alternate ending makes an already amazing movie that much better.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark