Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Christ, they released Jetman? I'm still trying to get through Gingaman...
Yep. Gaoranger comes out in Dec too. Though, at this point, they could stop and I wouldn't care since I now have essentially the best of the franchise.
Well they could start going backwards now. :dizzy:
I doubt we'll see them go backwards right away as they were probably waiting to see how Jetman sold before they negotiated more older shows with Toei, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see at least Fiveman by this time next year.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

The One and Only wrote:POWER RANGERS LEGACY WARS:Street Fighter Showdown short film.
That's Insane.

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

Hi there. Big fan of tokusatsu and kaiju. I've watched several Power Rangers and Sentai shows in the past. I found GoGoFive and Timeranger of Super Sentai and SPD and RPM of Power Rangers to be the best of each respective franchise so far, but I still haven't made my way through ALL the shows.

Happy to be here!
Member of the League of Shadows.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I hope that you will not break us! Welcome!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Allegedly the designs of Ryusouger have been leaked on JEFusion. However, not sure if I should post it here due to the fact it’s well... A leak.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Go ahead. Why would it matter if they're real or not? The designs are not a spoiler one way or the other.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Go ahead. Why would it matter if they're real or not? The designs are not a spoiler one way or the other.
You do realize the "no leaks" policy is due to legal issues and not spoiler ones, right?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Go ahead. Why would it matter if they're real or not? The designs are not a spoiler one way or the other.
You do realize the "no leaks" policy is due to legal issues and not spoiler ones, right?
Okay, but it's nothing more than designs. I fail to see the issue.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I'm likely wrong but I think the no leaks policy is for Godzilla mostly as we are a Godzilla site and are watched by Toho and Legendary.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

miguelnuva wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I'm likely wrong but I think the no leaks policy is for Godzilla mostly as we are a Godzilla site and are watched by Toho and Legendary.
Plus, there's a difference between a leak that is a bootlegged copy and just costumes.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Christ, they released Jetman? I'm still trying to get through Gingaman...
Yep. Gaoranger comes out in Dec too. Though, at this point, they could stop and I wouldn't care since I now have essentially the best of the franchise.
Well they could start going backwards now. :dizzy:
I do hope they release some of the older ones. I realize they're all online, but I like owning physical copies, and I've been curious about Battle Fever J and Dynaman.
Bane wrote:Hi there. Big fan of tokusatsu and kaiju. I've watched several Power Rangers and Sentai shows in the past. I found GoGoFive and Timeranger of Super Sentai and SPD and RPM of Power Rangers to be the best of each respective franchise so far, but I still haven't made my way through ALL the shows.

Happy to be here!
I'm definitely looking forward to checking out Timeranger! I've heard a few things mentioned in various places that make me curious about it.

I'm working my way through Power Rangers in order; I've gotten about 20 episodes into Zeo at this point. I'm not exactly wowed by it, but it's an improvement over MMPR after Jason, Zack and Trini left, and Bulk and Skull are much better utilized.

As for Super Sentai, I'm probably never going to see all of it since there's just so much, but I don't really feel I need to as there isn't really any continuity. So far I've seen Zyuranger and Dairanger, I'm most of the way through Jetman, and I'm a little over 20 episodes into Gokaiger. I've also seen a handful of episodes from Kakuranger (wasn't that into it) and Battle Fever J.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Kakuranger is a strange series. Due to how dark Dairanger was, Noboru Sugimura (the head writer of Zyu-Oh) and Toei decided to make the first 22 episodes of Kaku a tad more light hearted and comedic to ease kids into the show before it took off into being Dairanger 2.0 for the rest of the show.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Is that a fact? I might have to give Kakuranger another shot one of these days.

Also, have any of you guys seen the rumors about Ryuusouger listed in the RangerBoard speculation thread? I'm noticing a female blue ranger, no black or green in the core team, and a Chinese mythology theme a la Dairanger.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Bane
Yojimbo

Post by Bane »

Timeranger is a fascinating series. While the mech work isn't particularly stunning like last year's GoGoFive, the characters and the story make up for it. I felt the first few episodes were rather rushed and uninteresting but as you progress through the series I think you will really enjoy it.
Member of the League of Shadows.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:Is that a fact? I might have to give Kakuranger another shot one of these days.
Yeah. THere's a reason Kakuranger is my second favorite Sentai show while Dai is #1.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Bane wrote:Timeranger is a fascinating series. While the mech work isn't particularly stunning like last year's GoGoFive, the characters and the story make up for it. I felt the first few episodes were rather rushed and uninteresting but as you progress through the series I think you will really enjoy it.
Yeah, my experience is that the first couple episodes of most Sentai series I've seen rush to get everything set up and established for the rest of the show in twenty minutes. Dairanger has excellent characters, but it doesn't come across between setting up the Gorma, the Dairangers, the monster, Chi power, and so on. What grabbed me about it instead was the choreography. The first couple episodes of Zyuranger are all over the place, with a kidnap plot, exposition, and a second monster introduced before the first is defeated, leaving little time to establish the characters' personalities at all. Jetman is better about it, though, taking two episodes to assemble the team and allowing each member a turn in the spotlight to briefly establish who they are.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

A thread for one of my favourite tv shows? On a fansite dedicated to one of my favourite movie companies? SCORE!

Okay, child-like wonder aside, I have a confession to make: I'm not sure how to feel about Power Rangers anymore. I still have my favourite seasons like Dino Thunder and I'm looking forward to Beast Morphers, but after dealing with more than a decade of frustratingly cheap and childish stuff from the new Saban (not including Dino Charge), I'm not sure if I can trust the series to deliver anymore. Matt Frank once described PR as "warmed-up Sentai leftovers", and with the real deal finally getting released on this side of the world, I'm not sure if I can go back what feels like the increasingly watered-down version of an awesome show.

(That said, Boom's comics are knocking it of the park and I look forward to actually reading them someday.)

Added in 40 minutes 9 seconds:
Titanoterror98 wrote:A thread for one of my favourite tv shows? On a fansite dedicated to one of my favourite movie companies? SCORE!

Okay, child-like wonder aside, I have a confession to make: I'm not sure how to feel about Power Rangers anymore. I still have my favourite seasons like Dino Thunder and I'm looking forward to Beast Morphers, but after dealing with more than a decade of frustratingly cheap and childish stuff from the new Saban (not including Dino Charge), I'm not sure if I can trust the series to deliver anymore. Matt Frank once described PR as "warmed-up Sentai leftovers", and with the real deal finally getting released on this side of the world, I'm not sure if I can go back what feels like the increasingly watered-down version of an awesome show.
That said, Boom's comics are knocking it of the park and I look forward to actually reading them someday!
I'm also planning on starting Super Sentai for real soon with Kakuranger; I hear it's pretty good!
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I really do believe that one day an animated Pr series deserves a chance. They could give it the Voltron Legendary Defender treatment.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Titanoterror98 wrote:Matt Frank once described PR as "warmed-up Sentai leftovers", and with the real deal finally getting released on this side of the world, I'm not sure if I can go back what feels like the increasingly watered-down version of an awesome show.
Yeah, I do plan to keep watching Power Rangers, but I'm dubious about future seasons. Rocky, Adam, Aisha and Kat were all pretty bland in Mighty Morphin, and although there's been some improvement as of about halfway through Zeo, they still don't really hold a candle to the original team, which doesn't exactly give me high hopes for the mid-Turbo switch. Also, having gotten a ways into Gokaiger, the clips I've seen of Super Megaforce don't inspire a lot of confidence either. Super Sentai, on the other hand, has been pretty consistently entertaining to me, and while looking closely for the seams in PR episodes is interesting, I don't know if it's gonna carry me through another 20 or so seasons.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I thought Kat and Adam were far superior to Kim, Jason, Zack, and Trini. Though, Trini is my favorite of the original five, but honestly, nobody really started to be developed as characters until PRiS. Hell, even then, LG and PRiS left a lot of their characters underdeveloped. Like I didn't give a shit about Kendrix "dying" in LG because they barely did anything with her.