Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Stump Feet wrote:I thought Flabber was supposed to be Elvis :lol:
I always saw him as Ronald McDonald.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:I thought Flabber was supposed to be Elvis :lol:
I always saw him as Ronald McDonald.
u must became da betle burgers
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Was it the movie that had the Elvis Flabber bit or am I just remembering things wrong?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Hope they start up soon, really wanted that Abaranger set

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Stump Feet wrote:Was it the movie that had the Elvis Flabber bit or am I just remembering things wrong?
Elvis Flabber was in both seasons of Beetle Borgs.
And it was the fucking worst and best thing.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Godzillian wrote:Hope they start up soon, really wanted that Abaranger set
I'd say we shouldn't expect any more releases until mid-2020. I will be surprised if Hasbro manages to finish reading every contract, every piece of paperwork ever written, going through every asset they now own before the beginning of next year.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Sad news. Robert Axelrod, voice actor for Lord Zedd, Finster, and several monsters of the week, has passed away. The man was a great vocal talent and he will be dearly missed. He was a huge part of my childhood and brought to life one of the greatest television villains of all time.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

RIP Lord Zedd!

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Goodbye Mr. Axelrod :'(

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Jason David Frank is trying to make his own Power Rangers film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptJ6HQ70z8

Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:Jason David Frank is trying to make his own Power Rangers film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LptJ6HQ70z8

It's not power rangers but at the same time it is. It's a darker spin off that BITS was trying to do.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

miguelnuva wrote: It's not power rangers but at the same time it is. It's a darker spin off that BITS was trying to do.
I hope they try getting it off the ground again, it looks pretty promising.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Allegedly, our 2020 season will be demon-themed :

https://news.tokunation.com/2019/09/30/ ... iger-63274

This honestly intrigues me, since demon-themed superheroes usually mean things will be darker and edgier.

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

"Rip and tear, Rangers, until it is done."

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Unsure if this is the place to go for this.....but I've been putting the original MMPR on Netflix as background noise while I do other work. It got me thinking about the 1995 film and I started doing some research into it.

I found out that Steve Wang, the director of the totally-under-rated guilty-pleasure of "Guyver 2 : Dark Hero" was the original director and left during pre-production.

Not to degrade the final director, but something just tells me that if the film had moved forward with Wang as the director...our finished product has a strong chance of ending up as a better movie.

Then I got to thinking about 3 key things that might have helped that first movie
-Steve Wang as the director - Having seeing Guyver 2, I just feel like Power Rangers would have been right up his alley, and if anything, I bet he MIGHT have pushed the tone ever-so-slightly into the more serious realm, which probably would only have helped.

-I certainly think that the money/resources put into going all CGI for the zords would have been better spent doing practical man-in-suit effects. It could have come across as a cool Godzilla-esque thing, like a REALLY high-grade and cinematic version of what kids saw on the show every week. Heck....that might have even reduced the budget of the film a little bit, who knows.

-I know this is an issue separate from the movie, but it REALLY sucks that the Red, Black, and Yellow rangers were changed before the movie, and that the new characters only had about 20-25-ish episodes under their belts before appearing in the film. I strongly feel that if it had been the OG team that many kid and fans had watched from the very beginning.....that the 'event' status of the movie would have been a LITTLE bit bigger.

-Keeping the evil lackeys from the show consistent into the film instead of replacing them with that pig thing. Just that little bit of extra continuity might have been a good thing.

I think with those 4 little differences would have resulted in a movie that was just a few notches better, and a few notches more of a bigger deal than it was.

If that initial film had managed to be better and had a stronger reception at the Box Office, it likely could have launched a series of films that occurred in an alternate continuity to the show. Could have put the franchise overall on a completely different path.
Last edited by Chrispy_G on Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Chrispy_G wrote:Unsure if this is the place to go for this.....but I've been putting the original MMPR on Netflix as background noise while I do other work. It got me thinking about the 1995 film and I started doing some research into it.

I found out that Steve Wang, the director of the totally-under-rated guilty-pleasure of "Guyver 2 : Dark Hero" was the original director and left during pre-production.

Not to degrade the final director, but something just tells me that if the film had moved forward with Wang as the director...our finished product has a strong chance of ending up as a better movie.

Then I got to thinking about 3 key things that might have helped that first movie
-Steve Wang as the director - Having seeing Guyver 2, I just feel like Power Rangers would have been right up his alley, and if anything, I bet he MIGHT have pushed the tone ever-so-slightly into the more serious realm, which probably would only have helped.

-I certainly think that the money/resources put into going all CGI for the zords would have been better spent doing practical man-in-suit effects. It could have come across as a cool Godzilla-esque thing, like a REALLY high-grade and cinematic version of what kids saw on the show every week. Heck....that might have even reduced the budget of the film a little bit, who knows.

-I know this is an issue separate from the movie, but it REALLY sucks that the Red, Black, and Yellow rangers were changed before the movie, and that the new characters only had about 20-25-ish episodes under their belts before appearing in the film. I strongly feel that if it had been the OG team that many kid and fans had watched from the very beginning.....that the 'event' status of the movie would have been a LITTLE bit bigger.

-Keeping the evil lackeys from the show consistent into the film instead of replacing them with that pig thing. Just that little bit of extra continuity might have been a good thing.

I think with those 4 little differences would have resulted in a movie that was just a few notches better, and a few notches more of a bigger deal than it was.

If that initial film had managed to be better and had a stronger reception at the Box Office, it likely could have launched a series of films that occurred in an alternate continuity to the show. Could have put the franchise overall on a completely different path.
Guyver 2 is very underrated and I wish we would have got Guyver 3. Saying that though Mnpr the movie was already as big as it was going to get due to a number of factors. The movienshouldnhave dropped during season 2 as the show simply cooled off after that point but the movie was an event when it launched.

Saban also making everything cheaper as the showa made more money didn't help either and he is the reason more movies didn't happen. That and more rangers wanting out as they lost both Amy Jo Johnson and Jason David Frank by the time a sequel would have been made.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

When I learned Shout! has put out like 12 of these series I jumped right on in to get some nostalgia.

Zyuranger
The good: Monsters are pretty neat. Prehistoric creatures is a good theme. Just about any storyline with the Green Ranger is good. Villains are fun. There's two times in the show where Megazord is soundly defeated and I haven't quite seen such stakes in Dairanger yet. The best thing about this show is that it's rather bat-**** insane. Oh and Pink Ranger is a god damn trap master in some episodes. Lastly I do like the sense of epic that Power Rangers didn't have. Stuff like Red Ranger's adopted father fighting with Green Ranger's father over who would be king.

The bad: Seriously the rangers don't get much focus and they're really there to help save the child main characters for a lot of the show. That's a pretty big detriment. About what saves it is the kids get some really crazy stuff. The other is after watching much of Dairanger I kind of feel like, well, there's a little too much of the giant battles. It started to get boring after a while. Stuff to mix it up like Dragonzord coming in was good. There were points I got pretty bored.

Dairanger I haven't finished this yet, got about 15 episodes left.
The good: I love that each ranger has their own power: fire/wind/time/gravity/sound/illusion. Myth creatures and martial arts cliches are a great addition to the formula. This feels like the Dairanger's show and not 'Kid of the week oh and the Zyrurangers are here to save them.' Really...so many of the characters are just fun or really slimy. I got really into Ryu's evil rival, the Three Stooges are god damn amazing, Kou started off annoying but he's gotten character development. I much prefer they have one of the Dairangers as the lead character of an episode. As for the big battles at the end...they're a lot shorter but I dunno after getting bored with Zyuranger's battles near the end. It's a mixed bag in this regard since it keeps 'Megazord' relevant and needed without constantly needing upgrades and new weapons. Plus love that sword sheathe scene.

The bad: The villains take a lot longer to get going. So sort of the reverse of of Bandora and gang. They just show up for some twenty episodes as the bad guys for the Dairangers to fight. About the time we met the Emperor and get some court stuff do they get interesting. I think it's better this way for a tv show. Have the heroes be interesting and take a bit for the villains to get rolling. Kaku is kinda wasted so far. I had forgotten he had gone out to fight Ryu's father and showed he was quite strong. On the lesser side of the 'Megazord' is that we haven't really seen it beaten yet and geez I remember getting shocked as a kid with the Power Rangers' Megazord once lost an arm. So if you want big battles with gaints Dairanger isn't for you.

So Dairanger is easily the better quality show and very entertaining. So far at least.
Zyuranger...is bat-**** insane and very entertaining as long as you're okay with the minimum character development and kids.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

miguelnuva wrote:
Chrispy_G wrote:Unsure if this is the place to go for this.....but I've been putting the original MMPR on Netflix as background noise while I do other work. It got me thinking about the 1995 film and I started doing some research into it.

Guyver 2 is very underrated and I wish we would have got Guyver 3. Saying that though Mnpr the movie was already as big as it was going to get due to a number of factors. The movienshouldnhave dropped during season 2 as the show simply cooled off after that point but the movie was an event when it launched.

Saban also making everything cheaper as the showa made more money didn't help either and he is the reason more movies didn't happen. That and more rangers wanting out as they lost both Amy Jo Johnson and Jason David Frank by the time a sequel would have been made.
Yeah, wasn't trying to pretend like the movie would have been twice as big or anything...but high-end suitmation, a director who seemed like a better fit for the job, and having the original team just seems like it would have driven it up a few extra notches.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Alright so I heard that the three dinosaur teams are crossing over? I've wanted a Dino Thunder/MMPR crossover since I was a child, count me in!
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I saw the Power Rangers movie in theaters as a kid. I had fun but looking back on it years later I found it weaker. Perhaps if Steve Wang had gotten to direct it maybe it could have held up better. The pig guy wasn't a big deal. As a kid I was like 'uh he's kinda like Squat and Baboon stuck together so...whatever.'