Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: The Power Rangers/Sentai Thread

Post by Dr. Professor »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Turbo was adapted from a show that was a parody of the Sentai genre. It was hard for Saban to make a serious show from a parody show, but Turbo is still shit nevertheless.
Why exactly would they even bother doing that? :eh:
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Turbo was adapted from a show that was a parody of the Sentai genre. It was hard for Saban to make a serious show from a parody show, but Turbo is still shit nevertheless.
Why exactly would they even bother doing that? :eh:
Keep in mind they wanted the power ranger money train to keep going but at the time they didn't have much footage to use unless they wanted to use the REALLY OLD and outdated ones which they didn't. Plus I think the series that was eventually Power Rangers in Space was filming at the time.
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

That's because Power Rangers In Space was the shit!
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Truth be told, I haven't touched the DVDs since I quit Fareway (I watched them on my lunch hour). I tried to watch them again but find myself loosing my nerve every time because I remember how much the Turbo season is a slog. I also got involved with my MST3K marathon and now into my Halloween viewing. I may watch some in November since I only have a few Thanksgiving shows I watch. I would like to get through the rest of Turbo, along with "In Space" and Lost Galaxy" because I asked for the next five seasons for Christmas/Birthday.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

Dr. Professor wrote:That's because Power Rangers In Space was the shit!
On this we agree.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

The only thing I liked about Turbo was the movie. And the last time I saw it, I was really little.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wish Saban would have gone with there Zyu3 plans before switching to dairanger. That would have been one more great season.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

And here's the next set.

SPD, Power Rangers Mystic Force, Power Rangers Operation Overdrive, Power Rangers Jungle Fury, and Power Rangers RPM. Guess they're not including Samurai and Megaforce because of Lionsgate.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

Wow, that's quick considering they just released 8-12, but then again, it is Shout Factory! Any word on the release date?
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Not yet. Bonus features can be found here; http://blog.samuraicast.com/power-range ... s-p-d-rpm/

Just because I'm not a huge PR follower, are Megaforce or Samurai available in their entirety in any form? (Well, I guess Megaforce is still current). I'm hoping Lionsgate will release the discs in the 20 Years set separately.

I'm still interested in getting the box sets, I just don't know when. The 20 Years set will probably be gone by then though.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JDF posted on his official Facebook that he and Bat in the Sun(creators of Super power beat down) are filming a Green Ranger trailer to show Saban. They might make a fan film if Saban doesn't pick the movie up but I believe the hope is if Saban sees the trailer and likes it they will fund the Green Ranger film.

JDF just did a guest appearance on Super Power beat down as the white ranger and he's still got it.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

SciFi Japan has a preview of the 2014 Super Sentai movie KYORYUGER VS GO-BUSTERS, with photos and images from Toei.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2013 ... s-preview/

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Lionsgate will release the third POWER RANGERS MEGAFORCE collection, POWER RANGERS MEGAFORCE: THE GREAT DRAGON SPIRIT, on DVD and Digital HD April 8th. Info and high-res cover art are now on SciFi Japan.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... april-8th/

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

I took some thought about something. Is it true the reason we haven't gotten a big-budget Power Rangers movie yet is because Saban doesn't want them to? Because I read somewhere Saban doesn't want to move outside it's kid audience. Is this true?
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Saban has announced that the KYORYUGER-based POWER RANGERS DINO CHARGE will debut in 2015. SciFi Japan has the press release and high-res artwork for the new series.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2014 ... -for-2015/

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

gzilla46 wrote:I took some thought about something. Is it true the reason we haven't gotten a big-budget Power Rangers movie yet is because Saban doesn't want them to? Because I read somewhere Saban doesn't want to move outside it's kid audience. Is this true?
Saban has only had it for three years, and they are likely looking for a date that doesn't compete with any of Paramount's other offerings. Plus , they'll have to have the entire film be SAG/WG-based, which means Saban Brands would only be lending the rights out rather than be working on it. If they were going to do a film, they'd likely have no-name actors, probably a lower budget, lack of access to writers or even producers to make it even a bankable hit.

What happened with Saban on MMPR's production might put many film execs wary of another attempt to make a film ,unless such notions are dashed. If it is done by Paramount and produced by another company , it would work out without effort. Perhaps it is Toei that is holding back on a reboot because of what happened with the 1995 film? Considering Nonaka had shown pieces of artwork done at PLEX considering revamps of the Mighty Morphin concept, while technically "fan art" ,it could mean that they are seriously considering a film franchise. All that needs to happen is to attract interest and get the right people at the table to prevent the 1995 film from happening again. Sure the 1995 film was OK, but it was released a decade too early and the story/plot doesn't last over time.

Considering 90's nostalgia is in full swing, I can see a high budget Power Rangers film coming out in the next 3-7 years. I'm honestly not sure Saban Brands , or Haim Saban ,would be adverse to a remake of the original series on the silver screen, because the nostalgia alone [regardless of its overall final quality] would draw much attention and money to the series. Second, Pacific Rim was a box office success globally, so tapping the Chinese market would be a must. And if Godzilla does well in the box office and that Gaiking film comes out with a splash, all bets are off that a film will be approached. Because if Gaiking is getting a movie, I bet there will be a Power Rangers film heading to American shores.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Hellspawn28 wrote:A big budget Power Rangers movie could work and I think we haven't seen a PR movie in a long time given how Turbo bombed at the box office. I think a big budget movie will likely be a re-telling of MMPR and the zords will look like something from Bayformers.
I heard that Time Force was going to get a movie, but because of the strikes, it didn't happen.

I feel that the main reason was that the series hasn't been in the public eye for some years, but I can see one coming up. If they bring the Transformers designer to Power Rangers and had PLEX watch over the design so they aren't completely wrecked, it could be cool.

My favorite seasons aside from most of the Disney era and MMPR-Turbo, are In Space through Lightspeed.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If a power ranger movie comes out based on MMPR I hope it's either the solo green ranger movie JDF wants or they include all 7 rangers in it.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Can somebody fill me in on what's going on with the Power Rangers/Sentai?
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a

EdGojira
E.S.P.Spy

Post by EdGojira »

Draglord wrote:
EdGojra wrote:Can somebody fill me in on what's going on with the Power Rangers/Sentai?
Kinda stopped watching Super Megaforce because it's just blah. A wooden plank is a better actor than Troy is and I just can't find myself to give a damn about most of these characters. Jake and Prince Vekar are like the only remotely interesting characters so far. At least Vekar is kinda entertaining as a villain (incompetent just like his counterpart, but still fun). I hate to sound like a Sentai Purist, but Gokaiger is more entertaining than Super Megaforce (God, what a horrible title) has been so far. The ADR really sucks in this show. :/ Let's hope that Dino Charge will be fun (hopefully as fun as Kyoryuger).

As for ToQger, it's ok but it's still early in the show so things are a bit slow. The enemies have great designs. We had a ToQger/Kamen Rider Gaim crossover like week and that was fairly fun. Plus, we got the Rape Train. XD
Nick's Power Rangers series I have noticed are absolutely terrible in many ways. I'm still pissed off that I braved through Samurai and Super Samurai only for the lead villain to go down in a few seconds.
I would like to see some of these interesting villain designs.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtes ... fa40b3496a