Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:I thought this movie was good. Not really sure why people don't like it
Then you've obviously read absolutely nothing from this thread, go back a page and check out Bigdogs post, he paints a pretty good picture

Im not really sure how people can like it, so far the best argument I've heard is "Its not the worst Power Rangers movie!!1!" :lol:
I mean, maybe someone just relaxes and enjoys the movie. I know that there are probably a lot of objectively bad films that i like. Sometimes you just gotta let yourself not be analytical.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:I thought this movie was good. Not really sure why people don't like it
Then you've obviously read absolutely nothing from this thread, go back a page and check out Bigdogs post, he paints a pretty good picture

Im not really sure how people can like it, so far the best argument I've heard is "Its not the worst Power Rangers movie!!1!" :lol:
I mean, maybe someone just relaxes and enjoys the movie. I know that there are probably a lot of objectively bad films that i like. Sometimes you just gotta let yourself not be analytical.
Like about 3/4 of the entire Godzilla franchise. :lol:

Annnyway, just got hold of Flashman and Dairanger. Debating which to watch first.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

Pretty hard to do when the pacing is utter shit, and the grand fight the entire film leads up to is insanely lackluster...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote: Then you've obviously read absolutely nothing from this thread, go back a page and check out Bigdogs post, he paints a pretty good picture

Pretty hard to do when the pacing is utter shit, and the grand fight the entire film leads up to is insanely lackluster...
For you, yeah. Bu ti'm sure a lot of people don't find it to be that bad. It's all preference.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:

That's a terrible margin to judge a Power Rangers movie or anything to be honest. It would be like saying Transformers:Dark of the Moon was a great movie only because most of the other movies in the series by comparison are worse by comparison.
SenseiTeriyakiV wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:

I have to side with Lain on this one. If the film had far tonal consistency , better pacing and had far more impressive and longer in-suit fights and mecha fights, it would be a far better film than we got.
SpaceG92 wrote:Woah god, titanic wall of text appeared and wants to battle.

This'll take a minute -
Bigdog wrote:
I'll admit I like a few bad films but I also understand what makes them bad, Power Rangers was not a bad film it was Mediocore at worse and to have this film on the level of TLA and G98 is just hating on it to hate but then again Bigdog you hated this film sense the first real trailer didn't you.
I liked the movie until the mediocre zord ,Goldar and Megazord designs came out. When more of the movie came out, it looked less and less appealing. but sure, moron.
Ah, that's what I was looking for.

Calm down - Drop the name calling, I don't want to see it again.
Apologize for that, though. Just got more than annoyed, but you won't see that here again.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I enjoyed the movie well enough. I don't even really know what my ideal Power Rangers movie is - something super over-the-top and cheesy? Something that tries to take the concept seriously?... so I just liked that there was a Power Rangers movie at all honestly. It did seem more intelligent than the average blockbuster. The only thing I didn't like that much was the aesthetic. Too much Iron Man/Transformers, not enough, well, Power Rangers.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

http://screenrant.com/power-rangers-rating-success/

Yeah...No...I'm calling BS. What really harmed its success was the month it got released on stacked with competition. Logan, Kong: Skull Island and Beauty and the Beast, then their final nail in the coffin is the fact that Liongates were dumb enough to release it in China on the same month as Guardians 2.

If this had been an August release where it would've had no competition, it probably could of been a hit.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

No, what really harmed its success was how shitty it was. It could have been released any other month, any other year, and it would have still flopped

This whole release date thing is just denial, but major lawl at the director trying to blame it on the rating... No if you could have made a competent movie, it wouldn't have flopped
The same goes for the "muh release date" argument, if the movie was actually competent, it wouldn't have had to worry about the other movies released that month ;)

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

No one cared about the rating. What actually hurt the movie was that it didn't attract the attention of non-fans.

The movie actually did a bit better than the 1995 film when adjusted for inflation, and has better user and critic ratings on both IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes. This indicates that the fanbase showed up and, for the most part, liked what they saw, but the movie just simply didn't bring in a new audience. It was ultimately a movie for fans only, and that's a perfect way to spell doom for your reboot.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mr. Xeno wrote:No one cared about the rating. What actually hurt the movie was that it didn't attract the attention of non-fans.
I just don't think there was ever going to be a significant non-fan market for a Power Rangers movie (at least Stateside). Its general reputation as cheesy, low-grade kiddie entertainment far outweighs similar attitudes about other nerd/geek properties like Marvel superheroes or even Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

The directors comments were non-sense.

Kid's were scared of Rita? Rita Repulsa was one of my favorite things in this film, as a matter of a fact remove her and you basically don't have a Power Rangers movie. She was more brutal which was a huge plus but did channel some of her Originals cheesiness and had fun with the role. Which is more then i can say for the overly serious cast. Billy also had the strongest character development out of the cast.

He's just making excuses on why the film under-performed. The sequel if one is even made needs to stay PG-13, not go extremely kid friendly PG. The rating had nothing to do with this films box office.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Well, get ready for that sequel you guys were begging for :lol:
I hope it's Godzilla's Revenge-level kiddy

They could even make a little boy a Power Ranger, like they did in that one movie :lol:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Has anyone read the Boom! comics run? It's actually really good.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

eabaker wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:No one cared about the rating. What actually hurt the movie was that it didn't attract the attention of non-fans.
I just don't think there was ever going to be a significant non-fan market for a Power Rangers movie (at least Stateside). Its general reputation as cheesy, low-grade kiddie entertainment far outweighs similar attitudes about other nerd/geek properties like Marvel superheroes or even Godzilla.
And here on the Kong: Skull Island box office thread I was called a liar when I mentioned this or the fact that Power Rangers is one of the most mocked franchises out there (at least in the US) :roll: (eyeroll is not meant for you eabaker). This movie mostly attracted the hardcore fans and some of the people who grew up in the 90s watching the MMPR seasons. Older generations than the 90s did not care to see it no matter what unless they had kids that wanted to see it (Voltron fans were hoping this flopped so that a live action Voltron could get made without being called a PR rip off to the younger crowd).

And I will defend the movie a bit why I think it is not a GINO of Power Rangers (the friends I have that love power rangers loved this movie).
A. Rita and Alpha 5 were big improvements over their original selves. I always liked MMPR growing up but even as a kid I hated Alpha 5, Rita, and Bulk and Skull.
B. So far no Bulk and Skull which is a massively great improvement (And no, their roles in helping In Space or the third season with the mind wiping monster is not near enough for me to like them).
C. Most of the rangers were pretty spot on if updated. While Kim, Jason, and Billy have tragic backgrounds their personalities are mostly intact.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

^ Wow, solid points, you're right, maybe it wasn't as shitty as I previously thought /s/

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Sorry, I had to leave earlier and could not finish my thoughts. Also, Lain, just because someone has some different opinions on a subject does not give you the morale right to belittle that person's opinion or get angry.

To continue my thoughts, what's important to getting Jason's character is that he is a courageous athletic leader. His martial arts backround is not that important as a trait to his character at the start when adapting him. At the end of the movie, he developed into the courageous leader with martial arts skills and he was athletic beforehand. What's important to Billy's character is that he is a nerd who tinkers with machines and computers. His race is not important. Adding the autism gives him a little bit more (not much) depth (not that any of the rangers had depth in the original show and yes I am reading the boom comic and they still don't have much depth, no, giving Tommy PTSD is not any more adding depth to him as giving Billy autism). Kim is still your typical high school cheerleader girl even if she is a failed one. Movie Zack they just combined MMPR Zack with Adam as one character (he's an outgoing party guy like Zack with the race and prankster trait of Adam from the later part of Zeo/Turbo added in). Trini is the one who got changed the most but even still the original MMPR pilot version of Trini was a latino so the movie is a very loose interpretation of that Trini.

As for the megazord, what's important is that it's a humanoid robot made of a robot T-rex, pterodactyl, Triceratops, Mastodon, and sabertooth tiger. It is not important what parts of the megazord each zord is. The T-rex does not need to be the main body, the pterodactyl does not need to be the chest, the mastodon does not need to be the shield, and the Triceratops and Sabertooth tiger do not need to be the legs. They can be mixed and matched on the Megazord and it would still be the essence of the megazord. Also, the Megazord does not need to have bull horns or be blocky. Mixing and matching, and removing the blockyness and horns does not turn the Megazord into a MINO nor is a slap to the fan base.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

So I watched it because my little brother really wanted to, and I thought it was eh. It took them an hour and a half to finally morph. Of course im more of a casual fan with Power Rangers. I thought the final battle was lackluster. The humans were actaully not that annoying. Overall a 5/10.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:So I watched it because my little brother really wanted to, and I thought it was eh. It took them an hour and a half to finally morph. Of course im more of a casual fan with Power Rangers. I thought the final battle was lackluster. The humans were actaully not that annoying. Overall a 5/10.
Pretty much this

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:No, what really harmed its success was how shitty it was. It could have been released any other month, any other year, and it would have still flopped

This whole release date thing is just denial, but major lawl at the director trying to blame it on the rating... No if you could have made a competent movie, it wouldn't have flopped
The same goes for the "muh release date" argument, if the movie was actually competent, it wouldn't have had to worry about the other movies released that month ;)
Of course. Blame it on everything but the fact the movie didn't have enough of what made the show iconic. They should've led with that.

As for people's points here about Bulk and Skull, Goldar, Alpha and Rita?

1. Remember the pilot episode with the Latina Trini? Make Bulk and Skull thugs and bullies with their own gang that get checked around when they get their powers. Before? Have them give Jason a roughing up, make them tougher. In fact, mirror their protrayal after the Ultimate Comic's version of Flash, who idolizes the Rangers while mocking them.

Or rather, the Rangers can't use their powers outside their suits or against civilians due to how they were designed. Now that would make for a far more interesting dynamic that we seen in the show. I imagine Zordon in this interpretation would've programmed this in originally because of what Rita did.

2. Get Goldar played by Ron Perlman. He's one of the best character actors out there and he'd be perfect as this villain. I know they might actually need to give him a personality, but hey? Someone who'd give Eizabeth Banks to bounce off of. Have Goldar terrorize the Rangers in their Ranger forms while Rita does it when she feels that the team's getting more united and trained. With these two getting these inexeprienced Rangers down, they'dt

3. Really like his rebooted version, though I'd ditch the eyes.

4. They needed to cut a bit more of her early footage while adding in more of her destructive side in order to honestly pull her off as a more terrifying villain. The reason why I said that Rita comes in until much later is because think of her like any good villain. They don't throw their weight around and kill to comedic music like Dark Shadows. Once you've suspended all disbelief, they can be utterly scary to behold.

Rita wasn't that scary at all because she appeared way too much. It's not that Elizabeth Banks was a bad actress or that the rest of the cast was bad. They were given a terrible script and direction.
darthzilla99 wrote:Sorry, I had to leave earlier and could not finish my thoughts. Also, Lain, just because someone has some different opinions on a subject does not give you the morale right to belittle that person's opinion or get angry.
I've been called a hater for the fact I've had strong criticism of a movie that I tried to like, but ultimately didn't just like The Last Airbender. I believe that falls under that. I'm annoyed that I'm told that I should just like it because all these other desperate fools want another shot, even if they ruin Tommy , the Dragonzord, and the entire Green with Evil story.

I've seen the deleted scenes on YouTube and they barely improve it. If only they lengthened the action scenes by 7-14 minutes, with them being in their suits in their first fight with Rita, gave the Rangers distinctive powers , got new designs for the zords and megazord, and had the fight with Goldar be more climactic with a little less Krispy Kreme memes, then it would've been a stronger movie because of it.
As for the megazord, what's important is that it's a humanoid robot made of a robot T-rex, pterodactyl, Triceratops, Mastodon, and sabertooth tiger.
Optimus Prime and the Transformers in most of the Bay movies are more accurate to their source material than Power Rangers is with their's. Or they simply look better, with exceptions to the Dinobots. They passed up great looking concept art zords for these things and a combined mess that looks like it stepped out of Pacific Rim. Even worse is that the overpriced toys don't transform and have terrible paint application, so you're pretty much ripped off.

I doubt any kid's going to put their hands towards the stove again.

It is not important what parts of the megazord each zord is.

Mixing and matching, and removing the blockyness and horns does not turn the Megazord into a MINO nor is a slap to the fan base.
[/quote]
If this megazord looked halfway decent and not an anorexic generic American robot, then I'd agree. I've done a few designs that integrated the classic look with the new layout. There have been DeviantArt artists who've done far better than the hacks at Weta who were paid thousands to design the suits and zords. Yet somehow, they ended up creating molten plastic garbage that's unappealing to the eye.

The changes would be far better if the megazord actually made up for the poor suit designs. It's as if they forgot this movie is also marketed as a toy-line, which is the mass appeal. Between Transformers and molten generic garbage, who'd you think the kids are going to choose? The MCU kept most of the design work from the source material [given it merged Ultimate, a bit of 616 and a few others] and the heart so it would be marketable to non-fans as well as fans themselves. The sole reason why Marvel and DC is popular is because of their animated presence, not because of the comics so much, is because they abandoned their audience instead of balancing the two. However, Power Rangers is acting like current Marvel is with their comics, where they try to appeal to radical SJWs who don't buy their comics, and try to make it palatable for them.

The movie bombed because it failed to attract people that it needed to succeed. Not because of ratings or because of the time of the year.

They didn't remove the blockiness. They just made it as generic as everything else in theaters. It would be like when Patrick Tatopoulos designed a semi-decent Godzilla, but the filmmakers had the genius mind of making it a generic iguana. If you believe that GINO is bad , then by the same logic, PRINO should be bad as well.

It is a slap in the face that their artists are that terrible at their job that they have no eye on design. And the director himself probably pushed that crap through. It's definitely a MINO. And it's a slap in the face to the fanbase. Now if the delusional elements of the fanbase can learn to get their heads into reality, then we'd have something of a dialogue.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GINO is not GINO because he doesn't look like Godzilla its because he doesn't act like Godzilla nor does he have any of Godzillas powers which is why this is not a MINO or PRINO.

When Godzilla the series came out and the 98 look had its powers and attitude rrstored a lot of people got pased the new look and enjoyed Zilla Jr.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image