Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:I thought Kat and Adam were far superior to Kim, Jason, Zack, and Trini. Though, Trini is my favorite of the original five, but honestly, nobody really started to be developed as characters until PRiS. Hell, even then, LG and PRiS left a lot of their characters underdeveloped. Like I didn't give a shit about Kendrix "dying" in LG because they barely did anything with her.
Honestly, considering the lack of development or even detailed definition, one's opinion on early characters is probably subjective beyond most concrete attempts at justification, just because there's so little to them. The most specific thing I can point to in the original team is their being a balanced group of contrasting and clearly defined, if broad, personalities that interact with each other in interesting ways. Adam's being kind of quiet and insecure earlier on was at least something, but it kind of disappears and eventually his personality becomes as nondescript as the other replacements. They all kind of just seem like generic wholesome kids. It seems like the narrative hoops the writers had to jump through when writing out Jason, Zack and Trini kind of led to them forgetting to clearly define their replacements' personalities, and by season 3 it seemed like they were preoccupied with figuring out how to work Kakuranger into the already somewhat messy adaptation scheme while also coming up with a game plan for continuing the series, leaving Kat's Australian origin as her most prominent character trait.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:Matt Frank once described PR as "warmed-up Sentai leftovers", and with the real deal finally getting released on this side of the world, I'm not sure if I can go back what feels like the increasingly watered-down version of an awesome show.
Yeah, I do plan to keep watching Power Rangers, but I'm dubious about future seasons. Rocky, Adam, Aisha and Kat were all pretty bland in Mighty Morphin, and although there's been some improvement as of about halfway through Zeo, they still don't really hold a candle to the original team, which doesn't exactly give me high hopes for the mid-Turbo switch. Also, having gotten a ways into Gokaiger, the clips I've seen of Super Megaforce don't inspire a lot of confidence either. Super Sentai, on the other hand, has been pretty consistently entertaining to me, and while looking closely for the seams in PR episodes is interesting, I don't know if it's gonna carry me through another 20 or so seasons.
Good on you, man! I've been thinking about revisiting the Zordon-era stuff myself. But as for Megaforce, you're better off without it. I've sat through some pretty dumb shows as a kid, but this one? This one almost broke me. I managed to get through most of it with my folks but I swear that by time it was all over, I never wanted to watch Power Rangers ever again. Not even my old favourites! There was just something about its total disregard for everything from Ranger lore to basic writing rules that just insulted me on a personal level. The closest thing I can compare it to is sucking on cough candies while watching an old friend getting lobotimized. I mean Netflix, Dino Charge, the reboot, and the comics helped me get over it. However, it's always going to haunt me... Plus, as Ninja Steel proves, Saban didn't learn a damn thing from this.
So, yeah. I don't wanna tell you what to do, but you might wanna skip that one.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:I thought Kat and Adam were far superior to Kim, Jason, Zack, and Trini. Though, Trini is my favorite of the original five, but honestly, nobody really started to be developed as characters until PRiS. Hell, even then, LG and PRiS left a lot of their characters underdeveloped. Like I didn't give a poop about Kendrix "dying" in LG because they barely did anything with her.
Honestly, considering the lack of development or even detailed definition, one's opinion on early characters is probably subjective beyond most concrete attempts at justification, just because there's so little to them. The most specific thing I can point to in the original team is their being a balanced group of contrasting and clearly defined, if broad, personalities that interact with each other in interesting ways. Adam's being kind of quiet and insecure earlier on was at least something, but it kind of disappears and eventually his personality becomes as nondescript as the other replacements. They all kind of just seem like generic wholesome kids. It seems like the narrative hoops the writers had to jump through when writing out Jason, Zack and Trini kind of led to them forgetting to clearly define their replacements' personalities, and by season 3 it seemed like they were preoccupied with figuring out how to work Kakuranger into the already somewhat messy adaptation scheme while also coming up with a game plan for continuing the series, leaving Kat's Australian origin as her most prominent character trait.
At least the show got a little more story driven for Season 3. That string of 3 parters in the middle of it was so damn good. Watching Kim lose her coin, having Zedd get teleported to the command center, Tommy's fight with Zedd, the Shogunzords, Kat taking Kim's place, Master Vile's arrival, all of it was so well done at the time.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:I thought Kat and Adam were far superior to Kim, Jason, Zack, and Trini. Though, Trini is my favorite of the original five, but honestly, nobody really started to be developed as characters until PRiS. Hell, even then, LG and PRiS left a lot of their characters underdeveloped. Like I didn't give a poop about Kendrix "dying" in LG because they barely did anything with her.
At least the show got a little more story driven for Season 3. That string of 3 parters in the middle of it was so damn good. Watching Kim lose her coin, having Zedd get teleported to the command center, Tommy's fight with Zedd, the Shogunzords, Kat taking Kim's place, Master Vile's arrival, all of it was so well done at the time.
Season 3 of mmpr pales to season 1 and season 3. Green with evil and Doomsday were extremely strong story arcs just off the top of my head.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Season 3 has a lot less filler, which is good, but seasons 2 and 3 both suffer greatly for the lack of human-scale Sentai fight footage. The American fight scenes aren't shot or choreographed nearly as well. I kind of didn't mind in season 1 when it was mostly just the unmorphed fights that were shot by Saban, because it made sense for their fighting ability to get better when they morphed, but the show just feels so much shoddier once the Zyu2 footage runs out.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

There's no deying how great Green WIth Evil was, but let's be real, how much continuity was there really in Season 1? Very little. It was just an adventure of the week while fighting a monster of the week show. It was like Goranger for Super Sentai. There wasn't much in the way of character development either. Season 2 was worse due to how they poorly implemented the Zyuranger and Dairanger footage together. The rangers barely even fought the monster of the week because of it until they grew. It was mostly the rangers fighting putties, a ranger punches the TV screen, the monster flies back, and then Zedd makes him grow.

Season 3 started having every monster costume used in the American footage and as I said, it was quite story driven. The entire season was one big story arc.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Hey guys, it's me again.
First of all, I just want to apologize for showing up here in a crappy mood and getting all negative about Power Rangers. I just want to clarify that I still like the show and it will always have a place in my heart, no matter which side of the Pacific it comes from.
So with that said I have two questions for you guys:
1) I want to start Boom! Comics series but I don't know where to start. Anyone got any recommendations?
2) Anyone want to hear my silly animated series ideas?
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Best way to go with Boom is to get the Year One and Year Two hardcover collections. They cover everything you need.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Best way to go with Boom is to get the Year One and Year Two hardcover collections. They cover everything you need.
Thanks, I'll check them out as soon as I can!

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Don't know if you guys say, but next year's Sentai is another dinosaur themed show. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Don't know if you guys say, but next year's Sentai is another dinosaur themed show. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Yeah, I saw that too. Between yet another dinosaur theme and the tacked-on Lego stud gimmick, not to mention this is coming right after the wildly imaginative Lupin vs. Pato, this might be the first time I've been disappointed by a Sentai. Before it's adapted even!
I wish they could have done a fantasy theme for this one.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Devil’s advocate though... what’s left? I mean, they did pirates. PIRATES!

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Devil’s advocate though... what’s left? I mean, they did pirates. PIRATES!
A knights of the Round table theme? Also, they could do more single types of themes. Examples: if doing a creature theme, say the rangers are Spider themed or Snake themed, ect... Or if they are doing a military them, maybe do a tank theme with the various types of tanks out there. I don't know. They are running out of themes at this point.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Would a cryptid theme be interesting?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Devil’s advocate though... what’s left? I mean, they did pirates. PIRATES!
They could do a water theme with the mechs being submarines and have the monsters be fire demons or something.

There are insects (yeah, I know Kamen Rider, but still).

Reptiles. Hell, they could call their assisstants the Gator Aids. :mrgreen:

When was the last time they did a series with ancient cultures?

Or if they need to repeat themes, do another martial arts one. Gekiranger was in 2007, so that would make it 12 years since the last martial arts themed series.

One of the problems is that the rumors are circling that this show needs to do amazingly well in order for Toei to keep Sentai going. The whole reason Sentai is even in this situation is because Toei has been playing it safe ever since Go-Busters failed. Naturally though, Ryusoujer is the very definition of playing it safe, which isn't going to solve anything. Toei needs to have top notch writers for this show that can not only make it superior to what has already been done before, but also develop every character good and bad alike. No more wallpaper villains. No more making a villain have a relationship with the heroes and then not have him do anything for 39 episodes. No more doing an episode of plot or two in the first 10 episodes and then not doing another one for another 30+ episodes. This show needs to cut the filler down immensely, it needs to develop its villains as much as its ranger cast, it needs to have outstanding fight choreography, and it needs to be interesting.

It basically needs to be this generation's Jetman or Dairanger.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Can’t believe we’re getting a carbon copy of Kyoryuger.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Post by TyrantGojira »

LegendZilla wrote:Can’t believe we’re getting a carbon copy of Kyoryuger.
Hell, they even have the exact same color scheme. Granted it’s cool to see a smilodon zord again after all these years
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^The only way I can see justifying the exact same colour scheme is if they made it a direct sequel.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

I dunno, I was looking forward to the dragon theme the title suggested, but I'm personally not gonna judge it until I see it. A Sentai show sinks or swims on more than its theme IMO
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

To hell with this new show. Watch Goranger instead, which was easily one of the most entertaining times I've had watching a Toku show, and is by and large my favorite Sentai series I've seen. I just published reviews for it for those interested...
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.co ... -goranger/
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....