Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:29 am




Color me cautiously optimistic
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:11 am

Did not do anything for me. Like I mentioned in the GvK thread, it just reminds me of Paranormal Activity mixed with a Lifetime special.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2503
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Titan

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby tyrantgoji » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:18 am

I'm not gonna lie,i never though of the Inivisible Man as a horror movie. So making it one is just off for me.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby eabaker » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:23 am

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm not gonna lie,i never though of the Inivisible Man as a horror movie. So making it one is just off for me.


I feel like this version moves so far away from the original story that calling it "The Invisible Man" is disingenuous.

But saying that the original is not a horror movie I find downright baffling. The combination of the genuine danger the character represents with the uncanny imagery generated by his invisibility - and, on top of that, the implicit existential horror of finding oneself no longer visible - strikes me as quite definitively horror.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
kingkevzilla88
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 763
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:15 am
Location: scotland
Contact:

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:51 pm

I hope it's good, but it does look like a ghost movie that was slightly charged into an Invisible Man story. The invisible man needs to talk, openly mock her. That would help the movie stand out from the vast majority of ghost movies that have today.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby KManX89 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

I'm curious about their latest take on The Wolf Man, whenever that may be.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2392
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:07 am

KManX89 wrote:Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

I'm curious about their latest take on The Wolf Man, whenever that may be.


It is dead. They've scrapped it and are letting Blumhouse have a shot at the property. (Why they didnt let their horror branch work on their horror franchise is beyond me....)

Though I would not be shocked if this does well, they suddenly say "ACTUALLY IT WAS A DARK UNIVERSE ALL ALONG YOU GUYS, OK, MAN WHO LAUGHS VS SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (FEATURING A DEADLY MANTIS CAMEO) IN 2025"
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
KManX89
G-Grasper
Posts: 1240
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby KManX89 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:29 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
KManX89 wrote:Trailer didn't do much for me, but whatever, I'm just glad the Dark Universe is back in business; didn't they say it was dead after The Mummy 2017 was a gigantic flop?

I'm curious about their latest take on The Wolf Man, whenever that may be.


It is dead. They've scrapped it and are letting Blumhouse have a shot at the property. (Why they didnt let their horror branch work on their horror franchise is beyond me....)

Though I would not be shocked if this does well, they suddenly say "ACTUALLY IT WAS A DARK UNIVERSE ALL ALONG YOU GUYS, OK, MAN WHO LAUGHS VS SHE-WOLF OF LONDON (FEATURING A DEADLY MANTIS CAMEO) IN 2025"


I was under the impression from what I read on the Dark Universe Wikipedia pages and other articles that it was being rebooted.

But I'm interested in their rumored remake/reboot of Wolf Man because it's been a while since we got a (major release) werewolf move and an even longer time since we got one that was actually decent. Underworld 3 was the last good/decent one IMO if you don't count Cabin in the Woods or Annabelle Comes Home, since they had a very minor role in those movies.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:54 am

Elizabeth Bank will be directing an Invisible Woman movie.

Her Charlie's Angles movie bombed hard, she pulled a Paul Feig and blamed men/sexism for it bombing, and yet Universal does this...

Considering how Paul Feig will also be involved and how Amy Pascal, who caused GB2016, is at Universal, this is also destined to bomb.

Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:56 am

Rhedosaurus wrote:Elizabeth Bank will be directing an Invisible Woman movie.

Her Charlie's Angles movie bombed hard, she pulled a Paul Feig and blamed men/sexism for it bombing, and yet Universal does this...

Considering how Paul Feig will also be involved and how Amy Pascal, who caused GB2016, is at Universal, this is also destined to bomb.

Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

No thanks lmao.

As someone once said, these days filmmakers only fail upwards. How she got another job right after releasing a tanker, I have no idea. But Universal seems to be focusing on politics rather than quality filmmaking, and I'm sure we'll see it in that new 'Invisible Man' in name only film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14200
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:46 am

Invislble Woman was already an Invisible Man in name only film anyway cause the original is a screwball comedy about a fired department store model who uses her invisibility to get revenge on her old boss. Only way this might work out is to take a similar route but I doubt this is something Universal will want.
Image

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby Fish Cakes » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:15 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby Vakanai » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm

If you want a female Dracula, just bring back Carmilla.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Vakanai wrote:If you want a female Dracula, just bring back Carmilla.


No, they should bring back Mircalla instead.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:15 pm

How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:25 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.


The character has already managed to make his way into one genuinely great remake. Why tempt fate any further?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5694
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:34 pm

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.


The character has already managed to make his way into one genuinely great remake. Why tempt fate any further?

He had a remake?

I think it was a television show, right? N0S4A2? I haven't watched it yet.

But the guy behind "The Lighthouse" has had Nosferatu on his radar for a while now, so it'd be cool to see what he'd be able to put together. Wonder if he'd keep it black and white?
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:55 am

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby Rhedosaurus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Fish Cakes wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.



Esh...Just joking around.

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11263
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby eabaker » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:54 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:How about we just get Nosferatu. I'd love to see a modern horror with him as the main monster.


The character has already managed to make his way into one genuinely great remake. Why tempt fate any further?

He had a remake?

I think it was a television show, right? N0S4A2? I haven't watched it yet.

But the guy behind "The Lighthouse" has had Nosferatu on his radar for a while now, so it'd be cool to see what he'd be able to put together. Wonder if he'd keep it black and white?


Werner Herzog remade Nosferatu in 1979, with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani. It's well worth checking out.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
Fish Cakes
Interpol Agent
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:28 am
Location: Vague SF Bay Area

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Postby Fish Cakes » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Fish Cakes wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.

skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.



Esh...Just joking around.

So was I, was it not obvious from my colorful language?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest