Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by morgoth »

BooLugosi wrote:They better not skreeonk up Dracula. I'm still very skeptical about how good this will be. These trailers don't feel atmospheric enough and that's one of the things that was so unique about the old Universal horror films is the distinct atmosphere they created.
^Agree 100%
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

The Mummy feels like it's starting these movies off with too high of stakes. Instead of easing us into it with something small and/or local for the first movie, it just throws us into this with "the world's going to freaking end if this Mummy isn't stopped." Which, given how we know it's going to be a franchise, kinda takes out all of the suspense. Apocalyptic movies don't even have much suspense to begin with anymore, at least when they come from Hollywood.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Eh, I mean The First Avenger was probably somewhat similar (before an actual Avengers movie) or Man of Steel.

Was there something similar with that 1999 remake? I don't really remember.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

BooLugosi wrote:They better not skreeonk up Dracula. I'm still very skeptical about how good this will be. These trailers don't feel atmospheric enough and that's one of the things that was so unique about the old Universal horror films is the distinct atmosphere they created.
Shame they excluded Dracula Untold from this Cinematic Universe due to not performing well.
Mr. Xeno wrote:I'm expecting it to bomb, but it could very well pull a Skull Island and do pretty well from brand recognition.
Watch as it does and they then exclude The Mummy being the first in this Cinematic Universe like they did with Dracula Untold going on to make Bride of Frankenstein the first and so on. :P

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

[*]
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Shame they excluded Dracula Untold from this Cinematic Universe due to not performing well.
Mr. Xeno wrote:I'm expecting it to bomb, but it could very well pull a Skull Island and do pretty well from brand recognition.
Watch as it does and they then exclude The Mummy being the first in this Cinematic Universe like they did with Dracula Untold going on to make Bride of Frankenstein the first and so on. :P
The Mummy is goingto be th3 first entry regardless. Dracula Untold wasn't made as part of the universe but was given a new ending in case it was successful.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Crap another movie that might be heavy competition which The Mummy might not be able to compete with.

Cars 3.

So we have that, Wonder Woman and Transformers: The Last Knight. I don't like The Mummy's odds here...

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

GoodBadFlicks exploring the 1999 take on THE MUMMY.

Also Universal could be including the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and the Phantom of the Opera to the Dark Universe.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/232846 ... otre-dame/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Cars 3 isn't going to compete for the same audiences. This movie's real completion is WW, then The Last Knight the weekend after.

This should debut to $44-54 million - at least that's my guess.
고질라

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tohosaurus wrote:Cars 3 isn't going to compete for the same audiences. This movie's real completion is WW, then The Last Knight the weekend after.

This should debut to $44-54 million - at least that's my guess.
Didn't stop BatB from hitting a billion dollars on the same month as Kong despite different audiences no? :|
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Didn't stop BatB from hitting a billion dollars on the same month as Kong despite different audiences no? :|
And I didn't say both couldn't do well? Multiple movies in theaters can be successful at the same time.
고질라

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tohosaurus wrote:And I didn't say both couldn't do well? Multiple movies in theaters can be successful at the same time.
Well my point was if it wasn't for BatB (BatB may of targeted an different audience which were girls but it was definitely a movie perfect for a date night for guys) and Logan, Kong could've made more but that's a discussion for another thread.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Well my point was if it wasn't for BatB (BatB may of targeted an different audience but it'd definitely be a perfect movie for a date night for guys) and Logan, Kong could've made more but that's a discussion for another thread.
BatB is a very universal movie. Cars 3 should do well enough, but neither Cars movie before it has been exceptionally successful. That's what makes the other movies I mentioned more competitive with this movie.
고질라

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tohosaurus wrote:BatB is a very universal movie. Cars 3 should do well enough, but neither Cars movie before it has been exceptionally successful. That's what makes the other movies I mentioned more competitive with this movie.
Good point.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
I think they made a good decision tbh if that movie was supposed to be a part of the Dark Universe. That movie was trash.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

BooLugosi wrote:I think they made a good decision tbh if that movie was supposed to be a part of the Dark Universe. That movie was trash.
Opinion respected, I on the other hand actually liked it for what it was. Kind of curious where it would've left off based on the ending.

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

The Phantom and the Hunchback will be joining the Dark Universe and Alex Kurtzman talks about some actors and actresses he'd like to see in the films: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/monsters ... me-a151615.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Hunchback of Notre Dame? When had that been considered part of the Universal Monsters? I know like all other classic novels it is public domain but I never recalled it being among the bunch like Dracula, Gill-Man, Wolf-Man, Mummy, Frankenstein's Monster, Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde and Phantom of the Opera...

I suppose its something new they decided to throw into the mix I guess.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Lon Chaney Hunchback is considered the first of the classic monster films.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Yeah, I don't know. I am unsure of the public's interest in a lot of these classics. They've been adapted so much already. Sure there's 30+ Godzilla movies but they're generally not remakes.
고질라

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Tohosaurus wrote:Yeah, I don't know. I am unsure of the public's interest in a lot of these classics.
With how they reacted to the Mummy trailer (by thinking it's a remake of the Brendan Fraser film), I'm willing to agree.