Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Saansilt
Futurian

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by Saansilt »

I loved it. I'll post a full write up why later if folks are interested in my take, suffice to say I am looking forward to this verse expanding.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SteveIrwinFan96 wrote:Looks like the Dark Universe's future may be in trouble: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/horror/u ... ng-a151778.
Well looks like its made twice its budget at 295.5 million now, honestly don't get how that's flopping or is in trouble, domestically I could understand but not globally.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Mostly because it's performing so poorly in its domestic market, both financially and critically. Another (less China-centric Warcraft).

At this point they should make sequels less clearly integrated with the rest of the universe, more MonsterVerse like. They should keep this in their universe or drop entire universe plans. We're at a trio of the main monsters this decade (Wolfman, Dracula, this) without particular success. There's only so many reboots they can do, so in a way I almost think they could have some better sequels that still have this and Dracula (bringing it back in, only making that obvious later though) in the Dark Universe. I also REALLY think they need to rethink including characters like the Phantom of the Opera or Hunchback. They'd be better adapting fresher monsters into this universe or at least something different.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tohosaurus wrote:They'd be better adapting fresher monsters into this universe or at least something different.
The whole point of this is to capitalize on the iconic value of the monsters they've used in the past, though.

Although, of course, none of the classic versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were Universal productions, unless you want to count Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as a "classic." Or the 26 minute version they made in 1913...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

eabaker wrote: The whole point of this is to capitalize on the iconic value of the monsters they've used in the past, though.

Although, of course, none of the classic versions of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde were Universal productions, unless you want to count Abbot & Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde as a "classic." Or the 26 minute version they made in 1913...
Which is my point in them needing a blend of classic and new. Only so many of those classics have remotely the amount of interest equity that would make them successful. Even the major monsters have often performed meagerly at best.
고질라

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tohosaurus wrote:
eabaker wrote: The whole point of this is to capitalize on the iconic value of the monsters they've used in the past, though.

Which is my point in them needing a blend of classic and new. Only so many of those classics have remotely the amount of interest equity that would make them successful. Even the major monsters have often performed meagerly at best.
But what "interest equity" would they be drawing on with completely new monsters?

What they need, in my opinion, is to approach the properties story-first, rather than marketing/release-date/shared-universe-value-first.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tohosaurus wrote:Mostly because it's performing so poorly in its domestic market, both financially and critically. Another (less China-centric Warcraft).
I stand corrected, domestically it might be failing yes but otherwise its honestly on a good track globally having made twice its budget. I thought all that mattered was how much money a movie makes that continues a franchise not critics and all that...

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

eabaker wrote: But what "interest equity" would they be drawing on with completely new monsters?

What they need, in my opinion, is to approach the properties story-first, rather than marketing/release-date/shared-universe-value-first.
Something newer, eerier, as Fox did with Alien or Preds. That could still include something existing though, like Gill-Man. By not being adapted much (certainly not recently), it's much less stale than ANOTHER Frankenstein book adaptation. I agree with you second point as well.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: I stand corrected, domestically it might be failing yes but otherwise its honestly on a good track globally having made twice its budget. I thought all that mattered was how much money a movie makes that continues a franchise not critics and all that...
That's it though. This movie could do well enough but if it isn't liked then hype for sequels and universes could decline (think of a certain 1998 Sony movie). Or maybe it'll be the next Transformers.
고질라

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Tohosaurus wrote:That's it though. This movie could do well enough but if it isn't liked then hype for sequels and universes could decline (think of a certain 1998 Sony movie)
Hmmm that's true, never thought of that honestly.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

I think we should redirect efforts towards making a better film adaptation of the Phantom of the Opera musical. Hopefully with some better singers. The 2004 version was awful.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

GalacticPetey wrote:I think we should redirect efforts towards making a better film adaptation of the Phantom of the Opera musical. Hopefully with some better singers. The 2004 version was awful.
And made by someone that understands that "Scare off the ghosts of the past with a little illumination" should be a ramp-up line, not a calm-before-the-storm half-whisper.

Sorry, that's always been a pet peeve. :) (As if that is somehow the film's biggest flaw...)

(...Which is clearly the bizarre choice to render the 'think of it, a secret engagement' exchange as dialogue even though it still rhymes...)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Zarm wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:I think we should redirect efforts towards making a better film adaptation of the Phantom of the Opera musical. Hopefully with some better singers. The 2004 version was awful.
And made by someone that understands that "Scare off the ghosts of the past with a little illumination" should be a ramp-up line, not a calm-before-the-storm half-whisper.

Sorry, that's always been a pet peeve. :) (As if that is somehow the film's biggest flaw...)

(...Which is clearly the bizarre choice to render the 'think of it, a secret engagement' exchange as dialogue even though it still rhymes...)
You know what, just release the filmed version of the 25th Anniversary version in theaters. Ramin and Sierra are my personal favorite Phantom and Christine anyway.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Also you can def see Dracula is being set up as the big bad, but also saw props from Creature from the Black Lagoon and The Wolfman.
Really? Thought it'd be Set that's being built up as the Ultimate Big Bad...Would honestly make more sense considering how powerful he is in the Mythology...If that's not the case then though...

Marvel Cinematic Universe: Thanos

DC Extended Universe: Darkseid

MonsterVerse: King Ghidorah

Dark Universe: Dracula

Seems legit. :P
That seems legit. A lot to look forward too.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Shouldn't this be re-named the Dark Universe thread? That's what Universal is calling it... :eh:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MandaSaurus wrote:Shouldn't this be re-named the Dark Universe thread? That's what Universal is calling it... :eh:
Yeah, but that's not really very descriptive, and I highly doubt the general public is ever going to adopt it.

And it's pretentious and dumb.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:And it's pretentious and dumb.
Or we could just rename the thread to that, then lock it. It's pretty much the last word on this franchise anyway... ;)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SteveIrwinFan96
G-Force Personnel

Post by SteveIrwinFan96 »

Channing Tatum is reportedly wanted by Universal for Van Helsing and Jolie is still wanted for the Bride of Frankenstein: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/monsters ... in-a152670.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

God stop putting Tatum in stuff! I like the guy fine as a person but he'll stick out worse than Tom Cruise.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LegendaryGoji
Monarch Researcher

Post by LegendaryGoji »

The Mummy was a horrible start to this. Universal should have gone the full horror route instead of copying Marvel in tone and taking absolutely nothing else of what makes their movies successful.

Also hiring a writer with no directorial theatrical feature credits? Not the brightest of ideas.
THE DEVIL HAS THREE HEADS

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

SteveIrwinFan96 wrote:Channing Tatum is reportedly wanted by Universal for Van Helsing and Jolie is still wanted for the Bride of Frankenstein: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/monsters ... in-a152670.
Top of my list to play Abraham Van Helsing, who I picture as that cool college professor type. Old enough to look like he's been around the block a few times. Seen some things. But no so old he can't kick butt. Peter Capaldi would be perfect for role.
Last edited by The One and Only on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.