Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
Futurian

Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by The One and Only »

As some may know, Universal Pictures is looking to relaunch their collection of Monsters to the big screen in the form of an interconnected universe of films in the manner of Marvel Comics has done with their Cinematic Universe. Leading the effort to build this new world with old favorites is screenwriter/producer, Alex Kurtzman, and Fast & Furious screenwriter Chris Morgan. http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=54159
As some speculated, this year's DRACULA UNTOLD was to be the first horse out of the gate, that's looking not to be the case. But the new MUMMY reboot, coming April 22, 2016.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by Pkmatrix »

Why isn't it the case for Dracula Untold? Last I checked, it's still coming out this year (in October) unless you think it's going to get pushed again (or, if it's not going to be apart of the the Universal Monsters reboot).

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Yeah, I thought Dracula untold would of been the first in the series as well but I guess not. OR... It is apart of the universe, just not the in the right time era just yet.

Like maybe around the end of the Mummy reboot, we'll see a Dracula cameo asking more about these other forms of life and death magic.
R.I.P My Old Sig. 2011 to 2016

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Hopefully we'll get a new Creature from the Black Lagoon film out of this.

Poor guy deserves some love.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Creature reboot/remake has been in the works for years but they couldn't get it off the ground. Gullerimo Del Toro was even attached to the project at one pont back in 2004ish I think. His idea had the creature fighting sharks and squids in the Black Lagoon.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Posters are already in theaters for "Dracula Untold". Maybe it's a 'stand-alone', & not part of this 'new cinematic universe'?

I HOPE we finally get a "Creature from the Black Lagoon" out of this...

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Some of Universal's monsters are certainly among the few horror franchises that can probably support larger budgets and still be successful. The first two Mummy movies are proof for that franchise.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

Pretty much but don't forget all those other crossovers.

I just hope we eventually see the wolfman take on Dracula and Dracula fight Frankenstein's Monster.

The One and Only
Futurian

Noah Hawley, one of the writers on FARGO:The Series, mentioned that along with a non-horror script. Is also penning a script as part of the shared Universal Monster Cinematic Universe.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/69316/ ... z3DofjlRd3
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

So the Wolfman reboot from a few years ago isn't going to be tied into this? I mean it did the job, even with its flaws. All we need is the character.
I suppose there's no reason to expect Skull Island to be tied in since Kong was never part of the Universal classic monsters. And yet people are more inclined to believe it'll be tied in with Godzilla.

But I do look forward to see how all of this folds out.

GinsengKing
Ronin

Post by GinsengKing »

These new Universal "horror classics" are going to suck hard. Doesn't anyone remember the Werewolf remake?
If Universal is going to redo Universal classic correctly, they will need to go back to basics ad film them like its 1942.
No CGI effects, shot them on Analog film with make-ups effects simalar to the masters Pierce and Company. And most
importantly, shoot them all in Black and White with real film. Of course, they wont bother doing that way, will they?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GinsengKing wrote:These new Universal "horror classics" are going to suck hard. Doesn't anyone remember the Werewolf remake?
If Universal is going to redo Universal classic correctly, they will need to go back to basics ad film them like its 1942.
No CGI effects, shot them on Analog film with make-ups effects simalar to the masters Pierce and Company. And most
importantly, shoot them all in Black and White with real film. Of course, they wont bother doing that way, will they?
Take off the Nostalgia Goggles.

It'd be much worse if they did what you are saying than going with what they plan on doing.

GinsengKing
Ronin

Post by GinsengKing »

I know, Right. God forbid Universal uses Black and white again.
Probably the last black and white film to come out of Hollywood
was Young Frankenstein. You remember how that movie turned out,
dont you?
(It was only a classic)!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

GinsengKing wrote:Probably the last black and white film to come out of Hollywood
was Young Frankenstein.
Actually it was The Artist, but I'll let it slide. :D
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

This has so much potential but the fact that Dracula Untold isn't a part of it is something i dont understand

Also why are they starting with the Mummy? I want to see a proper Wolf Man franchise!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

bczilla91 wrote: Also why are they starting with the Mummy? I want to see a proper Wolf Man franchise!
Chronologically, it's the oldest movie in the Universal Monsters franchise.

I imagine there will be some sort of MacGuffin or event that happens during the Mummy that will affect the entire cinematic universe.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
bczilla91 wrote: Also why are they starting with the Mummy? I want to see a proper Wolf Man franchise!
Chronologically, it's the oldest movie in the Universal Monsters franchise.

I imagine there will be some sort of MacGuffin or event that happens during the Mummy that will affect the entire cinematic universe.
Or characters that will crossover. Like a Van Helsing character (unless it is actually him) who begins his quest to become a monster hunter after his encounter with the Mummy? Just throwing ideas out.

The One and Only
Futurian

bczilla91 wrote:This has so much potential but the fact that Dracula Untold isn't a part of it is something i dont understand

Also why are they starting with the Mummy? I want to see a proper Wolf Man franchise!
I'm thinking that maybe Dracula Untold was put together a bit before all this Cinematic Universe deal was finalized. Although, I could see the Dracula realized in Untold being grandfathered into the deal if its a hit. I'm taking a stab on guessing the reason The Mummy is going to the first in this effort is probably due to the success of the 1999 flick, and The Mummy Returns, a move pushed by the bean counters at Universal most likely.

mecha-gino
Futurian

Post by mecha-gino »

If I remembered right, I read the mummy reboot is taking place in the present day.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

mecha-gino wrote:If I remembered right, I read the mummy reboot is taking place in the present day.
That's interesting! I' love to see these films set in the modern world, but filmed with the sensibilities of the original films.