Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by The One and Only »

Fish Cakes wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Get ready for a hermaphrodite Dracula...It's really gonna put the trans in Transylvania.
skreeonk, don't drag us trannies into your shitty reboots, this is all your guys' deal. We have nothing to do with this. Stop projecting on us, for real.
Dracula is now already a woman on the Sci-Fi Channel show VAN HELSING played by Tricia Helfer. Actually, I always thought the Dark Universe could've done a new take on She-Wolf Of London.
Anywho, one fan came up with a cool little fan trailer for the DARK UNIVERSE. Had it been made in the Nineties....
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The One and Only wrote: Actually, I always thought the Dark Universe could've done a new take on She-Wolf Of London.
Are you talking about the terrible movie, or the outstanding TV series?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The One and Only
Futurian

eabaker wrote:
The One and Only wrote: Actually, I always thought the Dark Universe could've done a new take on She-Wolf Of London.
Are you talking about the terrible movie, or the outstanding TV series?
Both actually. Was aware of the show, but didn't catch it until the late Nineties when it aired on the Sci-Fi Channel on Thriller Fridays. Fun show, in some ways it seemed to be with Randy and the Professor's student/teacher relationship, was a bit of a fore runner to the Giles/Buffy dynamic on BUFFY:The Vampire Slayer. Have yet to see the 1946 flick as of yet.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I wonder how they would do Jaws, Cat People, and The Thing.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:I wonder how they would do Jaws, Cat People, and The Thing.
Jaws, never happen. It's too iconic for even the grubbiest CEO to touch.

The Thing, I wouldn't WANT them to touch, and I don't think they will, but they might

Cat People would DEF go all in on the sexual subtext.

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

The Thing, I wouldn't WANT them to touch, and I don't think they will, but they might

Eh, they already touched Jaws quite a bit with that string of sequels.
Besides, there's so many shark movies these days I don't think a Jaws remake would really stand out from the crowd all that much. Hell, if Jaws had been released now-a-days it'd probably be quickly forgotten. It was lucky to come out when it did.

They already did a remake of Thing. I mean, we all like to claim it doesn't exist, but it does.

I think there was an 80s remake of Cat People too...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

The Thing prequel was a good film. Bad CG, but it's a solid film.

Really evokes Carpenter's thriller vibe but fails to capture the suspense part.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

_JNavs_ wrote:The Thing prequel was a good film. Bad CG, but it's a solid film.

Was it supposed to be a prequel? I only bothered watching it the one time but I'm pretty sure it was meant as a remake. Least that was the sense I got out of it.

And blasphemy, but my favorite Thing movie was the original black and white The Thing from Another World.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Jaws will never be touched, aside from the fact that it's such an iconic piece of cinema there isn't anything you can really do to improve it. The Shark still looks fine in most shots, atmosphere and score are flawless and the cast and characters play off each other perfectly.

Second Jaws is not franchise material, With all the facts and knowledge we have are sharks now.. You might be to pull a 1 off on a rogue shark that got to large and started preying on humans. After that it basically becomes as ridiculous as the other 3 sequels went. Jaws is one of those films that is a perfect example of lighting in a bottle.... Not it's sequels, Deep Blue Sea, The Reef, The Shallows or The Meg with all there budget and updated technology have come close.

The Thing Prequel was RUINED by the studio, you should check out all the behind the scenes on that film with the puppets and animatronic's which were beautiful and already made for the film. Then the studio demanded they all were to be CGI and you can tell the CGI isn't polished, it was rushed and a lot of it had to be reshot. Had the studio let the filmmakers do the film the way they wanted it would have turned out a much better film.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Vakanai wrote:

Was it supposed to be a prequel? I only bothered watching it the one time but I'm pretty sure it was meant as a remake. Least that was the sense I got out of it.

And blasphemy, but my favorite Thing movie was the original black and white The Thing from Another World.
Yes, it was supposed to be a prequel about the Norwegian crew who found the Thing.

It was also supposed to have gorgeous practical effects that the producers thought looked "unrealistic" and had them CGI over. -_-

Interesting opinion Vakani. Never seen it but it might be good

RIP Evan.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Yes, it was supposed to be a prequel about the Norwegian crew who found the Thing.

It was also supposed to have gorgeous practical effects that the producers thought looked "unrealistic" and had them CGI over. -_-

I like it, but be warned it is every bit a 50's b-movie. I've just never been a fan of Carpenter's The Thing really - can't tell you why, but I've just never connected with that film. Love most of his other work, adore Big Trouble in Little China, Prince of Darkness is great, and Escape from New York is a classic, but The Thing just leaves me kind of...meh. Love the special effects in it, but the rest kind of leaves me a little cold. So for me the 50's b movie is better. If nothing else it's charming.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Jaws will never be touched
I dunno man given the amount of remakes nowadays I feel that's inevitable. Can't wait for the horrid CGI shark they'll use rather then practical effects yay... :roll:

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
XxComablack1937xX wrote:Jaws will never be touched
I dunno man given the amount of remakes nowadays I feel that's inevitable. Can't wait for the horrid CGI shark they'll use rather then practical effects yay... :roll:
If it happens, people are gonna complain about it's existance then just kinda move on. Just like most remakes today (excluding the noteworthy good or noteworthy atrocious)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The One and Only
Futurian

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Excellent look at what happened in the course of THE THING prequel.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Jaws is going to be remade one day and I suggest they go with the Bull shark and stick closer to the book if they do.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:

It comes down to execution.

Edit: I just came back from watching the new Invisible Man reboot/very loose adaptation.

I mwill say this:
It has some interesting ideas and is shot very well. Very dark and suspenseful, sonewhat better than I initially expected.
Last edited by SonOfGorgo on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

The One and Only
Futurian

A new WOLFMAN is on the horizon from Orange Is The New Black writer Rebecca Angelo ,and Lauren Schucker Blum based on a pitch by Ryan Gosling.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/361 ... ched-star/

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The One and Only wrote:A new WOLFMAN is on the horizon from Orange Is The New Black writer Rebecca Angelo ,and Lauren Schucker Blum based on a pitch by Ryan Gosling.
Uh not to be rude, but we know, we were just talking about it. :P

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The One and Only
Futurian

tyrantgoji wrote:
The One and Only wrote:A new WOLFMAN is on the horizon from Orange Is The New Black writer Rebecca Angelo ,and Lauren Schucker Blum based on a pitch by Ryan Gosling.
Yeah, on the Classic Universal thread.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

The One and Only wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Yeah, on the Classic Universal thread.
Wait, there's two?... why do we have two?