Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The One and Only
Futurian

Re: Universal Monsters Cinematic Universe

Post by The One and Only »

eabaker wrote:A Bill Condon take on The Bride of Frankenstein is pretty much the only aspect of the UMCU that has interested me at any point. I do hope that happens.
Honestly ,despite the issues many had with the new MUMMY, I still figured that the BRIDE remake wouldn't have been shelved, even for the short bit it ended being halted. On top of his biopic on the director of the original FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN he did, GODS & MONSTERS , which put him on the map. Bill Condon also has been behind some pretty big hits over the last few years. TWILIGHT:BREAKING DAWN, THE HUNGER GAMES. And just last year , BEAUTY & THE BEAST. One thing I'm hoping that'll happen with BRIDE is Condon mentioned last year when the flick was up in the air at the time was his preferred casting choice for the title character. Gal Gadot. :huge:

Two other things I'd like throw in here that I've been meaning to post here. The first being a cool fan trailer for THE DARK UNIVERSE.

The other, Golden Globe winning director, Gillermo Del Toro had mentioned that he had been offered a chance to craft the Dark Universe, but turned it down. One fan offers a look a what it might look like if the Maestro had taken the reigns.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/263040 ... oked-like/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I know it will never happen in a million years, but I'd like them to get Will Smith to play the part of Frankenstein's Monster, he's got the perfect cheek bones and eyes to give off that haunted yet still human vibe the Boris Karloff version had.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

So is this cinematic universe Dead on Arrival, or is their still a glimmer of hope it might still be a thing?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

H-Man wrote:So is this cinematic universe Dead on Arrival, or is their still a glimmer of hope it might still be a thing?
I doubt the Bride of Frankenstein remake will attempt to tie into any of this Dark Universe nonsense, so the former.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

UltramanGoji wrote:I doubt the Bride of Frankenstein remake will attempt to tie into any of this Dark Universe nonsense, so the former.
Especially considering how The Mummy was a box office bomb which honestly doesn't even make sense considering it made three times its budget 409 million against 125-195 million. How does that even work? :?

I thought for a movie to bomb that said movie has to make less, as much or slightly more (50 million or nearly 100 million) then its budget...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

So, we might just get Universal making the occasional movie using these characters, when a filmmaker actually has a story to tell with them, rather than concocting some elaborate interconnected universe?

Thank fucking God.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I doubt the Bride of Frankenstein remake will attempt to tie into any of this Dark Universe nonsense, so the former.
Especially considering how The Mummy was a box office bomb which honestly doesn't even make sense considering it made twice its budget 409 million against 125-195 million. How does that even work? :?
Same reason Godzilla (1998) was considered a bomb. It may have been a low budgeted film, but it didn't perform to expectations of the studio both critically and financially. There's no chance of a bigger success should they continue.
eabaker wrote:So, we might just get Universal making the occasional movie using these characters, when a filmmaker actually has a story to tell with them, rather than concocting some elaborate interconnected universe?

Thank fucking God.
With luck, we will. I'll even settle for that Johnny Depp Invisible Man movie if it's spiritually similar to the original Whale film.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

UltramanGoji wrote:Same reason Godzilla (1998) was considered a bomb. It may have been a low budgeted film, but it didn't perform to expectations of the studio both critically and financially. There's no chance of a bigger success should they continue.
Makes sense then.

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

I feel the largest failure here was attempting to make action films, which these films originally WERE NOT. They were horror thrillers.

Less action, more suspense. Make them HORROR films.
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

ShinGi
Interpol Agent

Post by ShinGi »

TheRedKing1979 wrote:I feel the largest failure here was attempting to make action films, which these films originally WERE NOT. They were horror thrillers.

The Conjuring movies have been doing this (making lower budgeted horror movies) and they succeeded in making a succesful Cinematic universe . The Dark universe should have done the same

TheRedKing1979
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRedKing1979 »

ShinGi wrote:
TheRedKing1979 wrote:I feel the largest failure here was attempting to make action films, which these films originally WERE NOT. They were horror thrillers.

The Conjuring movies have been doing this (making lower budgeted horror movies) and they succeeded in making a succesful Cinematic universe . The Dark universe should have done the same
They couldve done larger budgets but try to stay away from making heroes, and "with a twist" plots and characters. The Mummy's ending with a super powered character really ruined it for me. I watched it, I enjoyed it for the most part, but it went to far with the hi-tech crap to keep her contained, and forcing Jekyll/Hyde on us. All we needed was a name drop.
Member formerly known as wataru.
Proud American. Southerner. Centrist.
Godzilla vs Biollante (1989) is easily the best Godzilla movie, ever.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I really enjoyed last year’s Mummy, so it’s a shame to me we see the universe expanded.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Anyone even bringing up the IDEA that Russell Crowe as Jekyll And Hyde was not the most amazing thing seen in the history of Horror since Color needs to be smacked IN THE FACE!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I'm just hoping for a Wolfman reboot soon. I need my werewolf fix. Hopefully Dracula meets Wolfman gets a reboot too. I need that.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

So I know next to nothing about this universe, except that it's rebooting the old universal movies.

If they get to Frankenstein soon, I think it would be a beneficial move to take some pages from Frankenstein Conques the World and the unmade King Kong vs. Prometheus.

Because I am a sucker for giant monsters, it would be neat to have Frankenstein be a 25 - 50 foot monster. I didn't care for The Mummy trailers on TV, but a trailer for Frankenstein, showing him as a large beast, might intrigue me.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

As some may know, in the 1990's, there were a couple of attempts by Universal to get a Mummy remake off the ground. Such horror luminaries such as the late George Romero, Joe Dante, Mick Garris, John Sayles, and Clive Barker made pitches for a new Mummy before Stephen Sommers came along.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/272134 ... y-project/
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3441 ... makes-90s/
Some, like Dante's ,and Romero's were shot down because the directors proposals were deemed too expensive. Others, I'm guessing Barker and Mick Garris' pitch, literally gave the studio execs some nightmares. A look at what could've been check out these pics of what Clive Barker's Mummy would've looked like. Who looks like a distant cousin to Barker's Pinhead and the Cenobites.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

See That's a Mummy! It looks creepy and something you'd actually run from.

Sofia Boutella Mummy was just way to beautiful to be a Mummy, I wouldn't run from it.. I'd run right toward's it in a heart beat.

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I really just want a Wolfman film. Are werewolves just not cool anymore? Did I miss a wave?

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

ernesth100 wrote:I really just want a Wolfman film. Are werewolves just not cool anymore? Did I miss a wave?
why did i have to be the chosen one?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

KillCrites wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:I really just want a Wolfman film. Are werewolves just not cool anymore? Did I miss a wave?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQSWV1psH2c
Oh god no. Why? :cry:
Last edited by GodzillavsJason on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.