General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
G-Matt
Futurian
Posts: 3183
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby G-Matt » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:31 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.

They released it in Japan too? Wow, wasn't aware of that.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:13 am

G-Matt wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.

They released it in Japan too? Wow, wasn't aware of that.
Now, if they'd only release it as a trade paperback in this country and in color, that'd be excellent!

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:16 am

G-Matt wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.

They released it in Japan too? Wow, wasn't aware of that.

I think it's a recent reprint/release. There's an advert on the back for the IDW Godzilla Japanese edition as well. Strangely, at the end, included is a comic by Matt Frank about the downfall of the Atlantian Civilization. I don't view any of it as cannon to the films, but it's certainly interesting.

Wait, the original isn't in color as well?
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
G-Matt
Futurian
Posts: 3183
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:10 am
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby G-Matt » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:22 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wait, the original isn't in color as well?

I'm positive the original comics were in color.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby mikelcho » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:55 am

G-Matt wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Wait, the original isn't in color as well?

I'm positive the original comics were in color.
They are.

I meant release the trade paperback in its original color version (Godzilla: Age of Monsters and Godzilla: Past Present Future were both originally released in black-and-white).

Sorry if I wasn't too clear on what I was trying to say (that seems to be a problem with me sometimes).

goji1986
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 789
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:19 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby goji1986 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:09 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Strangely, at the end, included is a comic by Matt Frank about the downfall of the Atlantian Civilization. I don't view any of it as cannon to the films, but it's certainly interesting.


IIRC Matt Frank did it purely as a fan/non-officially sanctioned comic and then was surprised to learn that either Kadokawa or whoever was publishing the comic actually wanted to print it.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction in progress!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 am

Here’s some pictures I took:
Image

Image

Image

Matt Franks Section:
Image
Image

Well, here it is, Godzilla being mentioned by name in a Gamera product:
Image
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4155
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:56 pm

Japanese television special from July 4, 1994, celebrating Gamera's legacy with Noriaki Yuasa, Nisan Takahashi, and Akira Inoue. The first hour is mostly a retrospective of the series, while the second hour seems to be more about Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe. There's a lot of great behind the scenes footage of that film.

Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
heiseigodzilla425
Samurai
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:12 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby heiseigodzilla425 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am

Confirmation that the Arrow set is coming to the US and Canada: https://twitter.com/ArrowHelp/status/1227644234993487872

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby mikelcho » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:05 pm

heiseigodzilla425 wrote:Confirmation that the Arrow set is coming to the US and Canada: https://twitter.com/ArrowHelp/status/1227644234993487872
I've seen the Twitter post. Now what I - and, for that matter, all of us here - want to know is: when is it coming, what will it have on it and most importantly (at least to me, that is) how much will it cost in American money?

User avatar
Destorogoji
G-Grasper
Posts: 1222
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 pm
Location: Toluca, Mexico

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Destorogoji » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Terasawa wrote:Japanese television special from July 4, 1994, celebrating Gamera's legacy with Noriaki Yuasa, Nisan Takahashi, and Akira Inoue. The first hour is mostly a retrospective of the series, while the second hour seems to be more about Gamera: The Guardian of the Universe. There's a lot of great behind the scenes footage of that film.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv10-QatW9o[/]

That was awesome.
Damn, those miniatures were incredible.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby mikelcho » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:15 am

New subject and a question.

I think I saw somewhere that Gamera vs. Barugon was released in Japan as a double feature with Daimajin (the date of release for both is the same (April 17, 1966)). Is this true and if so, which one was the top half of the double feature and which was the bottom half?
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
LSD Jellyfish
Keizer
Posts: 8255
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:57 pm
Location: 富士山

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:06 pm

mikelcho wrote:New subject and a question.

I think I saw somewhere that Gamera vs. Barugon was released in Japan as a double feature with Daimajin (the date of release for both is the same (April 17, 1966)). Is this true and if so, which one was the top half of the double feature and which was the bottom half?

Image
Image

I did some digging and found these. The date is the same on both. We can at least confirm they were heavily advertised alongside one another.

I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4155
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:53 pm

I'm surprised there's actually any doubt that they were released together.

Trailer:


They're noted as having screened together on the Japanese Wikipedia entries for both films. It's also mentioned by August Ragone or Jason Varney in their audio commentary on the Shout! disc. As I recall, there are also photos of the (combined, naturally) theater program on the same release. If you desire further confirmation, Wikipedia cites the 2005 publication Yomigaere! Yōkai eiga dai shūgō!! (ISBN 4-8124-2265-5).

During this period, Daiei's Tokyo and Kyoto studios coordinated the production of SFX films that would go on to screen together during holiday seasons:

  • One Hundred Monsters & Gamera vs. Viras (3/20/1968)
  • Great Yokai War & The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (12/14/1968)
  • Along with Ghosts & Gamera vs. Guiron (3/21/1969)

Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.


I just plug a Japanese title or name into Google and pull up the Japanese Wikipedia entry. There are usually relevant links there if I need more information.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
Tamura
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Tamura » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:11 pm

Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4155
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Tamura wrote:Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?


Wikipedia says it screened with Small Fugitive, a Japanese-Soviet co-production.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
Tamura
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2466
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Tamura » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:56 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Tamura wrote:Anyone know what Gamera vs. Gaos was paired with?


Wikipedia says it screened with Small Fugitive, a Japanese-Soviet co-production.

That Masaichi Nagata sure was all about pushing the envelope.
Image

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1088
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby mikelcho » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:11 pm

Terasawa wrote:I'm surprised there's actually any doubt that they were released together.

Trailer:


They're noted as having screened together on the Japanese Wikipedia entries for both films. It's also mentioned by August Ragone or Jason Varney in their audio commentary on the Shout! disc. As I recall, there are also photos of the (combined, naturally) theater program on the same release. If you desire further confirmation, Wikipedia cites the 2005 publication Yomigaere! Yōkai eiga dai shūgō!! (ISBN 4-8124-2265-5).

During this period, Daiei's Tokyo and Kyoto studios coordinated the production of SFX films that would go on to screen together during holiday seasons:

  • One Hundred Monsters & Gamera vs. Viras (3/20/1968)
  • Great Yokai War & The Snake Girl and the Silver-Haired Witch (12/14/1968)
  • Along with Ghosts & Gamera vs. Guiron (3/21/1969)

Added in 2 minutes 11 seconds:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wonder if there's some Japanese Equivalent to the search engine Tamura and Terasawa like to use.


I just plug a Japanese title or name into Google and pull up the Japanese Wikipedia entry. There are usually relevant links there if I need more information.
So according to the trailer, Daimajin was the top half of the double feature and Gamera vs. Barugon was the bottom half. Then, shortly after that came Return of Daimajin and Daimajin Strikes Again. Thanks, guys, for your help! Now I've got the order of release right for all of these films!

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4155
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:40 pm

mikelcho wrote:So according to the trailer, Daimajin was the top half of the double feature and Gamera vs. Barugon was the bottom half. Then, shortly after that came Return of Daimajin and Daimajin Strikes Again. Thanks, guys, for your help! Now I've got the order of release right for all of these films!


In the audio commentary, Ragone says Majin was "the support feature," which suggests to me that Gamera vs. Barugon was the main feature that followed and closed the show.

Added in 1 day 12 hours 23 minutes 39 seconds:
It looks like Daiei's Kyoto/Tokyo Studios double feature trend continued into 1970 as well, with Gamera vs. Jiger screening alongside Transparent Swordsman.

Posters for the three Gamera double features (I haven't been able to find one pairing Barugon and Majin).
Last edited by Terasawa on Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

User avatar
PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6066
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am
Contact:

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby PopInPicsPresents » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:25 am

I REALLY don't like the cover art for the new Complete Collection
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.


Mama Birdon is bae


Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests