General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:05 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I think the reason western fans are ambivalent towards G3 is because it draws from elements of Far East cultures that we’re simply not familiar with. It’s probably the most Japanese Japanese monster movie.


More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?


Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.


And how have they been interpreted in Japan?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:45 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?


Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.


And how have they been interpreted in Japan?


The films themselves? I don't know. I'm speaking as an American, obviously; it's my opinion that G3 is a much more exotic (Japanese) film than Shin Godzilla for the reasons in my previous comment.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:03 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.


And how have they been interpreted in Japan?


The films themselves? I don't know. I'm speaking as an American, obviously; it's my opinion that G3 is a much more exotic (Japanese) film than Shin Godzilla for the reasons in my previous comment.


Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:15 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.


My bad, man, I get you now. This video really helped me understand what was going on in the film in regards to its use of real world mythology. I highly recommend it to anyone who’s struggled with the more obscure aspects of G3.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:52 pm

Terasawa wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Oh, sorry. I was asking about the four symbols. If their significance and meaning of the four symbols in Japan is easily can be lost on non-Japanese viewers than I'm interested in gaining a bit of insight into it.


My bad, man, I get you now. This video really helped me understand what was going on in the film in regards to its use of real world mythology. I highly recommend it to anyone who’s struggled with the more obscure aspects of G3.


Thanks!

(Good lord, all my grammar/word mistakes up there. I hate using a phone to post.)
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




daveblackeye15
G-Grasper
Posts: 1293
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:45 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby daveblackeye15 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:48 pm

I copied and pasted this from the Guardian of the Universe topic. Anyone got opinions on possible monster team up with Gamera?
Yeah I remember really liking Baragon as a kid and finding Guiron fun. Then in middle school I found some more Gamera movies, I think Zigra and Gyaos and didn't like them as much. Then I saw Guardian of the Universe and was like 'whoa damn!'

That said I do appreciate Showa Gamera for being not as tough as Godzilla and using his head. Y'know someone asked a web master long ago if they could have one enemy of Gamera's, Showa or Heisei, become an ally down the line which monster? They picked Guiron and I saw a fan work about a year ago where Gamera was swinging Guiron like a sword and I loved it. Can't find it at the moment but I found this and it seems a little less of a team up but still pretty cool.

https://www.deviantart.com/tohdraws/art ... -535712126

As for me...well call me crazy...but maybe Iris. I dunno but compared to Legion, a foreign creature that could never co-exist with Gamera, Iris is his enemy and yet at least they are both Earth creatures. Iris is considerably ambiguous compared to Legion or Baragon or evil bad guy Viras and Zigra. Perhaps Iris could set aside their hatred of Gamera briefly to team up with him. Y'know the classic rival team up situation. Oh goes imagine if a whole bunch of Legion arrived with Viras and Zigra ushering them on as their blind attack dogs to help turn the tide in a massive battle Iris can make the Hyper Gyaos join in the attack and we have a giant melee with Gamera and Iris leading the charge. Of course once the threat was over Gamera and Iris would have to rest and prepare for that final battle.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11831
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby miguelnuva » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:42 am

I thought Iris was suppose to team up with Gamera before Anyana taught him hate. Anyway I'd say Barugon could be an ally.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:05 pm

So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

An DreamWorks animated film on Gamera.

Would that work?

User avatar
Stump Feet
Futurian
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Stump Feet » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:06 pm

Please no
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

User avatar
Godzillian
Kwaidan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:36 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Godzillian » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:49 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

An DreamWorks animated film on Gamera.

Would that work?

No, that sounds like garbage
Image

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:23 pm

Idk, Gamera vs. The Boss Baby...
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
Pkmatrix
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3080
Joined: Fri May 06, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Pkmatrix » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:42 am

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So someone already shared this idea and thought I'd post the idea here.

Picture this.

An DreamWorks animated film on Gamera.

Would that work?


I think it would! :D I enjoy Dreamworks movies, get the right writers and you could pull it off. :)

User avatar
Stump Feet
Futurian
Posts: 1831
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Stump Feet » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:19 am

Don't encourage him :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10594
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby goji89 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:57 am

Holy shiit......... I actually kinda wouldn't mind seeing a Dreamworks Gamera film. I mean it's freaking Dreamworks.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
shadowgigan
Samurai
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby shadowgigan » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:59 am

My initial reaction was one of disgust.
Image
Actual signature from TK/Gojistomp, Circa 2005

User avatar
MM Raids Again
Futurian
Posts: 1669
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby MM Raids Again » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 am

While I don't really agree/see the point of a Dreamworks animated movie, it did get me thinking that Gamera would be a prime candidate for a 1980's-set period piece with Stranger Things-like vibes. But instead of horror focus, it'd be kaiju. So Gamera: The Brave with 1980's flare and pop.
Did you miss me?

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Maritonic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:20 am

Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10594
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby goji89 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:23 am

Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.


This is true.....
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
tyrantgoji
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2177
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Halley's Comet.

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby tyrantgoji » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:24 am

A Dreamworks Gamera film would be nice, unlikely as it is. However i feel we need a more live action Gamera series from Kadokawa before they extend rights over to the states.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 8076
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Godzilla21 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:31 am

Maritonic wrote:Honestly, I don't care if it's animated, Hollywood, or Japan; I just want to see something new come out of the Gamera camp. It's been too long.


You stole my comment jerkoff
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest