General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:18 am

goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.


On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.


I'm completely serious. I'd argue it's definitely a better film than Gamera 2, critically speaking (in spite of that being my favorite Gamera movie).

The Brave may be ultimately a movie for kids, but I don't think that invalidates it.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1174
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby cloverfan98 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:36 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.


On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.


I'm completely serious. I'd argue it's definitely a better film than Gamera 2, critically speaking (in spite of that being my favorite Gamera movie).

The Brave may be ultimately a movie for kids, but I don't think that invalidates it.


It makes it unappealing to me personally but I agree that it isn't invalidated by that. I haven't seen it in a long time so I can't say which is better for sure but I will say that Gamera 2 is my least favorite of the 90's trilogy and The Brave is better than any of the Showa films.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:38 am

I admit I need to watch it again but I thought the "Toru and his father have a disconnect because of mom's death" felt pretty cliched and maybe even a touch too mawkish, but otherwise it's definitely a good movie.

As a monster movie I love that it remained faithful to the spirit and character of Yuasa's Gamera while giving a necessary update to the tropes in those films. The problem with Takahashi and Yuasa's movies wasn't that they made the central characters children, it was that they did so through very juvenile plotting. That problem was pretty much completely avoided in this movie.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11158
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby eabaker » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:42 am

Terasawa wrote:I admit I need to watch it again but I thought the "Toru and his father have a disconnect because of mom's death" felt pretty cliched and maybe even a touch too mawkish, but otherwise it's definitely a good movie.

As a monster movie I love that it remained faithful to the spirit and character of Yuasa's Gamera while giving a necessary update to the tropes in those films.


It was definitely cliched, but I'm pretty forgiving of that with kids' movies, because I feel like part of their purpose is to familiarize kids with classic narrative dynamics and tropes before they move on to more complex and varied forms of storytelling.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:03 am

I've heard so many good things about Gamera The Brave that I'm genuinely more interested in seeing it then the last two films of the Heisei trilogy I haven't seen
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 941
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Celery
Contact:

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby MikeSTZillak » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:07 am

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I've heard so many good things about Gamera The Brave that I'm genuinely more interested in seeing it then the last two films of the Heisei trilogy I haven't seen

You haven't seen Gamera: Revenge Of Iris yet? For shame. :facepalm:
Image


Resized Image


#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10595
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby goji89 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:14 am

Maritonic wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.


On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.


I enjoy it far more than the Heisei films.


Look at your sig...........

Now imagine me looking at you exactly like that after this bullshit statement.
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

User avatar
Maritonic
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 6056
Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:26 am
Location: UberRichNewYork

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:16 am

goji89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
goji89 wrote:
On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.


I enjoy it far more than the Heisei films.


Look at your sig...........

Now imagine me looking at you exactly like that after this bullshit statement.


I mean, no, because enjoyment is subjective, I'm not making a statement about the objective quality of the film. I'm just saying I enjoy it more.
Resized Image

Everything Will Proceed Cyclically

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10595
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby goji89 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:19 am

Maritonic wrote:
goji89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
I enjoy it far more than the Heisei films.


Look at your sig...........

Now imagine me looking at you exactly like that after this bullshit statement.


I mean, no, because enjoyment is subjective, I'm not making a statement about the objective quality of the film. I'm just saying I enjoy it more.


Awww your no fun.

*walks away kicking rocks, hands in pocket*
Image
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

phantomsdaydreams
Yojimbo
Posts: 86
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:21 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby phantomsdaydreams » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:11 pm

I don't like The Brave more than the Hesei trilogy as a whole, but I'd definitely say it's a top 5 Gamera movie and really underappreciated. I might also be convinced of its superiority to Legion someday, as I did really enjoy the movie quite a lot, but would put it at #4 overall, personally.

Man...who do I have to kill to get another Gamera movie made? Seriously, why has there been no revival yet with the Kaiju boom in full swing? Depressing...
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Vakanai
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Vakanai » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:12 pm

goji89 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I thought Gamera The Brave started out well, but totally fell apart at the end.


Really? I think if anything it truly comes together for me at the end. The sequence with the kids passing the stone along to get it to Toto was the high point of the movie on my last viewing.


You got that right. The scene of kids passing the stone was the highlight and It felt like the entire movie in which I too passed a stone.......a kidney stone.

Ugh. I actually really like this movie a lot, it's my third favorite Gamera movie, but this was the only scene I legitimately didn't like. I rolled my eyes when I was watching it for the first time. And I'm not doing that thing were I'm just saying I rolled my eyes to illustrate my feelings, I mean I actually did really roll my eyes during that scene, I think more than once even. I might have even groaned. It was just too cliché, even for my admittedly high tolerance and low standards.

I mean it wasn't a breaking point or anything, and overall still a wonderful film. Just feel like the movie could have been better if that scene had been written out.

MikeSTZillak wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I've heard so many good things about Gamera The Brave that I'm genuinely more interested in seeing it then the last two films of the Heisei trilogy I haven't seen

You haven't seen Gamera: Revenge Of Iris yet? For shame. :facepalm:


Meh, they're not missing out on much. It's my least favorite Gamera movie of the trilogy. When I rank the 4 "modern" Gamera movies this is the one I place below Brave. I mean, I get a lot of the appeal for it, and I personally love a lot of stuff from it - the special effects, kaiju suits, and action is some of the best in the genre, even to this day I think. But certain plot points and characters just bug me so damn much it drags a lot of my enjoyment way down. I'm not going to waste time going into the details unless someone really wants to know, but point is I don't think it's the best, must see Gamera movie a lot of the fanbase makes it out to be.

phantomsdaydreams wrote:Man...who do I have to kill to get another Gamera movie made? Seriously, why has there been no revival yet with the Kaiju boom in full swing? Depressing...

Right? I remember getting so pumped up for a new Gamera film in the near future back when they made that awesome (personal opinion) short film/proof of concept trailer. I mean that thing was so good, and it seemed like a new era of kaiju films would be perfect for Gamera to relaunch and maybe catch some more recognition than he's ever had...but then we got nothing and that was over 4 years ago back in 2015 I think. I mean, despite KOTM underperforming, with the success of the Monsterverse overall (including hopefully Godzilla vs Kong, fingers crossed), Shin Godzilla (especially being such a domestic hit in Japan), Rampage, the Meg, and the first Pacific Rim (second had faults you can't place on it being a kaiju film), and even Mechagodzilla appearing in Ready Player One, I still have faith that the next decade will be just as good if not better for giant monster movies, so we might still get a Gamera film in the 2020s. Maybe. I hope so, especially if it ends up looking as cool as the bulk of that short film.

If nothing else, maybe we'll get a sequel to that short film. I'll take as many of those as I can get. Sometimes I watch it back to back with that CGI Ultraman short that also didn't lead anywhere. Hell of a fun way to kill a handful of minutes.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:08 am

I think the reason western fans are ambivalent towards G3 is because it draws from elements of Far East cultures that we’re simply not familiar with. It’s probably the most Japanese Japanese monster movie.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:13 am

G3 & The Brave work great side by side as the different sides of Gamera if that makes sense. One's a pretty neat finale to an updated monster with bizarre scenes and heavier themes, and the other is a masterfully done, heart-gripping take on Showa elements.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan
Posts: 5768
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:34 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:10 am

Terasawa wrote:I think the reason western fans are ambivalent towards G3 is because it draws from elements of Far East cultures that we’re simply not familiar with. It’s probably the most Japanese Japanese monster movie.


More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened


ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.


Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:




Online
User avatar
Cookson
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2726
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Cookson » Thu Jul 04, 2019 7:54 am

Well now that Ultraman and Pacific Rim have a anime series, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gamera goes that route as either a one or two season show like those two, or a trilogy like Godzilla.

Unfortunately they’re all going with that CGI anime stuff. I know it’s apparently extremely cheap to use but they gotta get out of that.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Zarm » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:21 am

Cookson wrote:Unfortunately they’re all going with that CGI anime stuff. I know it’s apparently extremely cheap to use but they gotta get out of that.


Heck yes- the sooner, the better!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Titanoterror98 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:51 am

Zarm wrote:
Cookson wrote:Unfortunately they’re all going with that CGI anime stuff. I know it’s apparently extremely cheap to use but they gotta get out of that.


Heck yes- the sooner, the better!


Yes please! Although, I would prefer something either traditionally-animated or a combination of 2D and CG animation for this, seeing as CG anime and kaiju don't have the best track record. (*Glares at Polygon and Godzilla Earth*)
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10204
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Living Corpse » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:29 am

Gamera 2 Advent of Legion is the most fun Gamera film to me.

Also Gamera needs a new video game, one where we actually play as him, not summon him as an assist and not some Pachinko machine or Smart Phone game. God.
Last edited by Living Corpse on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 am
Location: A hole somewhere in Canada

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Titanoterror98 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:06 am

Living Corpse wrote:Gamera 2 Advent of Legion is the most fun Gamera film to me.

Also Gamera needs a new video game, one where we actually play as him, not summon him as an assist and not some Pachinko machine or Smart Phone game. God.


^Yes, to this also.^
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2075
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: General Gamera Thread

Postby Terasawa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:53 am

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I think the reason western fans are ambivalent towards G3 is because it draws from elements of Far East cultures that we’re simply not familiar with. It’s probably the most Japanese Japanese monster movie.


More Japanese than Shin Godzilla?


Yes, I think so, although they're Japanese for different reasons. Shin is a modern Japanese look at the country's political systems and G3 is a film steeped in myths and legends obscure outside China, Japan, etc. While some of the Japanese attitudes, feelings, and political statements expressed in Shin are lost on western viewers, I think that because it does so much to spoof and criticize bureaucratic functions in the face of immediate disaster, a lot of its non-Japanese audience got the gist of it. G3 ambiguously uses real world legends to build its world and give meaning to its characters. The significance of that is lost on viewers who aren't familiar with the Four Chinese Symbols and especially the way they've been interpreted in Japan.
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube
Save All Dubs

Image


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests