General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Re: General Gamera Thread (New Movie Announced!)

Post by ernesth100 »

Godzillian wrote:
ernesth100 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Is anyone ever going to change the title of this thread?
Misleading don't ya think?
Wonderful signature gif bro
He's banned, no reason to quote him
I didn't even notice. Guess I can steal it. :lol:
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

So I don't even remember when I bought the Gamera 11 movie set Gamera Legacy DvD, but so far i've only watched the original Gamera and Jiger, I'll probably watch the Gyaos or Virus one next.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

LegendZilla wrote:If there in a new Gamera film in the foreseeable future, should composer Kou Otani return, Kaneko or no Kaneko?
Kaneko said he took the Gamera Trilogy as far as it could go and anything else would be a retread. I respect his creative integrity. So he would have to reinvent Gamera if he were to return to the series. I'd like for Hirokazu Kore-eda to write and direct a daikaiju eiga film at some point. He would bring a unique vision and likely more gripping human narrative than the genre normally gets.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Anno made his take on Godzilla, I'm interested what he'd do with Gamera.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Mothra would be a better choice, she’d be right up his ally
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Mothra would be a better choice, she’d be right up his ally
Why Mothra over Gamera?

And did you get my PM?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

You’d have to watch Mothra (1961) to understand.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:You’d have to watch Mothra (1961) to understand.
It's on my to watch list.
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Mothra has these weird Christian-imagery moments towards the end with a glowing cross and church bells ringing, and as anyone a fan of Evangelion knows, the series was chalk full of crazy Christian overtones and imagery, so the two would blend well IMO.

We’d really see the full extent of Mothras mysticism if Anno ever got his grubby hands on her.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed May 09, 2018 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Mothra has these weird Christian-imagery moments towards the end with a glowing cross and church bells ringing, and as anyone a fan of Evangelion knows, the series was chalk full of crazy Christian overtones and imagery, so the two would blend well IMO.

We’d really see the full extent of Mothras mysticism if Anno ever got his grubby hands on her.
Definitely got to watch it. It released on a good DVD anywhere?

I got the 90s trilogy, it was interesting with the mysticism.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

I picked Mothra up on a DvD Columbia Pictures four pack not too long ago for less than $10 bucks. The DvD also included…
The Giant Claw
20,000,000 Miles To Earth
It Came From Beneath the Sea

I’m sure you could find it online for extremely cheap if you have an extra $10 you’re willing to blow. It’s well worth it, fantastic film.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed May 09, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Vakanai wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Mothra has these weird Christian-imagery moments towards the end with a glowing cross and church bells ringing, and as anyone a fan of Evangelion knows, the series was chalk full of crazy Christian overtones and imagery, so the two would blend well IMO.

Definitely got to watch it. It released on a good DVD anywhere?

I got the 90s trilogy, it was interesting with the mysticism.
This DVD set is relatively cheap and comes with 2 other cool ass movies.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Vakanai wrote:Anno made his take on Godzilla, I'm interested what he'd do with Gamera.
Anno is a big fan of the Heisei trilogy and even did a making of doc on Gamera 3. Don't quote me on this but I remember reading he felt they were better/cooler than Evangelion.

Shin shares a lot of the 'kaiju in the real world' DNA of the Gamera trilogy. There's Higuchi's influence of course, as FX director on Gamera, and Mahiro Maeda's concept work.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I have yet to see Gamera VS Jiger and Gamera the Brave. I’ve never seen any Showa Gamera, but I hear VS Jiger is the best. And The Brave is super hard to find on Blue Ray sadly I hope they re release it.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Anguirus wrote:but I hear VS Jiger is the best.
Ehhh where did you hear that lol vs. Barugon is definitively the best out of the Showa films. Gyaos is a close second. Jiger is pretty good though.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

Anguirus wrote:I have yet to see Gamera VS Jiger and Gamera the Brave. I’ve never seen any Showa Gamera, but I hear VS Jiger is the best. And The Brave is super hard to find on Blue Ray sadly I hope they re release it.
The only Showa Gamera movie you should watch is Gamera: Super Monster. Absolutely amazing Oscar-worthy film. Way better than all the Godzilla movies combined.
Long Live The King

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Jiger has some interesting and unconventional scenes and ideas, certainly. I've only seen it once, though, and very little of it has stuck with me. I still need to watch Viras and Super Monster at some point, here. I've owned both for a few years now, but just haven't made it to them yet.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I like Jiger a lot. It's s fun movie. And you can skip Super Monster. Pointless film
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I enjoy Super Monster a LOT. Which is interesting because I really despise Godzilla's Revenge. I know Super Monster is absolutely trash, but I have a lot of fun with it. It's a great drunk movie.

Gamera vs. Gyaos will forever be my favorite. Viras I find really overrated, personally. And Vs. Barugon is definitely better than Vs. Jiger, in my opinion.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Viras is pretty forgettable but watch the Japanese cut so you won't sit through 20 min of stock footage from the previous 3 Gamera films