General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by Vakanai »

LegendZilla wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:This is why I say the Monsterverse would help him, it would help him become more mainstream like Godzilla is.
To be honest, I am beginning to warm up to the idea of Gamera joining the Monsterverse. That is, so long as Toho would be okay with it.
Problem is I doubt Toho would approve it. And even if Toho did, would Legendary consider Gamera woth the money to include?
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Tis too bad a giant turtle flying is not "realistic" or "natural"... :roll:
I think we can all say that argument by a certain segment of the fandom was thrown out with a hollow earth in Kong.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vakanai wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Tis too bad a giant turtle flying is not "realistic" or "natural"... :roll:
I think we can all say that argument by a certain segment of the fandom was thrown out with a hollow earth in Kong.
Or a biosphere that evolved completely in molten rock.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote: Also, the soundtrack just oozes 90's anime vibes! Observe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe4kw3XxnT4
Funny considering Otani composed for several 90s anime. Most notably Toonami staples Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing.

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Or a biosphere that evolved completely in molten rock.
Touché...

However, I think that Vakanai is also right in that Toho probably wouldn't be interested in letting Gamera in anytime soon. Chances are that, once Kadokawa bought the rights, he was dead to them.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Titanoterror98 wrote:
Touché...
?????
However, I think that Vakanai is also right in that Toho probably wouldn't be interested in letting Gamera in anytime soon. Chances are that, once Kadokawa bought the rights, he was dead to them.
Didn't stop them from being cool with the two being in a video game together. I think people are forgetting the people running Toho today are not the same people who were running it 60 years ago. Hell when they approached with the idea of a Godzilla vs Gamera film in the 2000s, they didn't turn it down because they were against the idea, they turned it down cause Godzilla films weren't doing well in the box office at the time and they didn't want to take the risk.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Living Corpse wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
Touché...
?????
Sorry for the vague response. That was supposed to be more of a, "it could happen," answer than... whatever I sounded like.
Titanoterror98 wrote:
LivingCorpse wrote:However, I think that Vakanai is also right in that Toho probably wouldn't be interested in letting Gamera in anytime soon. Chances are that, once Kadokawa bought the rights, he was dead to them.
Didn't stop them from being cool with the two being in a video game together. I think people are forgetting the people running Toho today are not the same people who were running it 60 years ago. Hell when they approached with the idea of a Godzilla vs Gamera film in the 2000s, they didn't turn it down because they were against the idea, they turned it down cause Godzilla films weren't doing well in the box office at the time and they didn't want to take the risk.
This is a good point. However, it just brings us back to the argument of whether or not producers (be they WB, Toho, or Kadokawa) believe Gamera is still profitable.
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The recent live action situation has told me if Legendary signs Godzilla again then Toho couldn't stop Gamera from coming in until the next time the rights were up.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hey y'all I thought I'd bring it all to your attention that today marks 20 years since the Heisei Gamera Trilogy had been made!!!! :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Image

Hey y'all I thought I'd bring it all to your attention that today marks 20 years since the Heisei Gamera Trilogy had been made!!!! :huge:
That's awesome! They still hold up to this day :huge:

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

In my mind the Heisei Gamera origin was the best way to explain it. No need to get all in a tizzy about how a giant flying intelligent fire-breathing turtle who protects humans evolved naturally or anything like that; he’s a genetically engineered bioweapon from an ancient race, and all of the “weird” things about him are design features.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Image

Oh, wasn't expecting this when i logged in today. well Happy Anniversary to it!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

The Blu-Ray for Gamera The Brave is now $59.99 on Amazon. (I know, still expensive. But at least you can get it for less than $500!)
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

You know, it was really ballsy to make a kaiju movie where the star is a baby kaiju (Toto from Gamera: The Brave).

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Living Corpse wrote:You know, it was really ballsy to make a kaiju movie where the star is a baby kaiju (Toto from Gamera: The Brave).
I actually enjoy Gamera: The Brave more than the Heisei Trilogy. Wouldn't say it's objectively better, but I just find more enjoyment in it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Living Corpse wrote:You know, it was really ballsy to make a kaiju movie where the star is a baby kaiju (Toto from Gamera: The Brave).
And it ended up being one of the best kaiju films ever made so risk pays off

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

I thought Gamera The Brave started out well, but totally fell apart at the end.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MikeSTZillak wrote:I thought Gamera The Brave started out well, but totally fell apart at the end.
Really? I think if anything it truly comes together for me at the end. The sequence with the kids passing the stone along to get it to Toto was the high point of the movie on my last viewing.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

eabaker wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I thought Gamera The Brave started out well, but totally fell apart at the end.
Really? I think if anything it truly comes together for me at the end. The sequence with the kids passing the stone along to get it to Toto was the high point of the movie on my last viewing.
You got that right. The scene of kids passing the stone was the highlight and It felt like the entire movie in which I too passed a stone.......a kidney stone.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.
On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gamera the Brave easily is the best "targeted at kids" kaiju movie. I'd say it's even on the level if the Heisei trilogy. It's a shame it's never brought up when discussing the best kaiju films in the past few decades.
On the same level of the Heisei Gameta? Surely you must be joking. If it isn't mentioned its because no one cared enough for this movie aside from a few here.
I enjoy it far more than the Heisei films.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.