General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
gilamonster
Samurai

Re: Gamera the Brave

Post by gilamonster »

alienhulk2099 wrote:I always wondered why this movie couldn't be called "Son of Gamera" or something since Gamera only appears for two minutes and the rest of the movie is for Toto. I also don't know why they made Gamera and Toto mystical creatures. Zedus was also disappointing, he did very little.
Gamera was a "mystical creature" in the Heisei trilogy too.

I've got this movie on order at my local HMV. After seeing the Shout releases and re-watching the first two Heisei films via the blu-ray I've been craving more Gamera.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I thought the movie was pretty meh. Torrented it when it was first released even though I had no idea what was going on because my copy didn't have subs.

Then I rented the film off of Netflix a few years back and on a second viewing it's not that great. Zedus is an interesting kaiju though.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Hedorah
Xilien Halfling

Post by Hedorah »

Chris55 wrote:I thought that this movie was a little much for what I thought was aimed at little kids. What bugged me was the scene on the bridge where that little kid was stuck with all those other people. The bad guy monster (forgot his name) bends down and eats everyone but the kid. The kid is then shown splattered with the blood of those people. Kinda bugged me. I shut the film off right there.
I saw this scene on youtube and also lost interest, but then again I'm not a Gamera fan at all so I most likely wasn't going to see the movie, I just wanted to see what Zedus could do and what not.
#1 DEXTER FAN ON TK!

Godzilla 2000 wrote:tl;dr is just l33tsp34k for "you talk too damn much."
I wrote: Fuck the Dave the isn't footings happen

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Inferno Rodan wrote:The movie would've been 3x better if both Gameras actually had their trademark roar. The generic roar just ruins the whole experience.
HayesAJones wrote:It would have been nice to have the classic Gamera roar in this...
NSZ wrote:And seriously, was there any explanation given as to why the makers of this movie changed Gamera's roar? He's supposed to be the friend of children/protecter of the Earth and yet your giving him a roar that's more suitable for something like Zedus. What, was there only one folder containing the Gamera sound effects that some hacker attached a virus to thinking it was full of pr0n or something?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... NowItSucks
Guys, it's not like the Gamera roar is all super iconic or something. It's not even that cool, it sounds like a modified elephant sound. While it would have been the obvious choice to keep the roar, I don't see it as such a big deal. My only problem with it is that it was already used in King Kong (1976), a fairly well-known, high-profile movie.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

omgitsgodzilla wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:The movie would've been 3x better if both Gameras actually had their trademark roar. The generic roar just ruins the whole experience.
HayesAJones wrote:It would have been nice to have the classic Gamera roar in this...
NSZ wrote:And seriously, was there any explanation given as to why the makers of this movie changed Gamera's roar? He's supposed to be the friend of children/protecter of the Earth and yet your giving him a roar that's more suitable for something like Zedus. What, was there only one folder containing the Gamera sound effects that some hacker attached a virus to thinking it was full of pr0n or something?
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... NowItSucks
Guys, it's not like the Gamera roar is all super iconic or something. It's not even that cool, it sounds like a modified elephant sound. While it would have been the obvious choice to keep the roar, I don't see it as such a big deal. My only problem with it is that it was already used in King Kong (1976), a fairly well-known, high-profile movie.
its not a BIG deal?... but its the same principle if they used a generic roar for a new Godzilla movie
Last edited by Zilla103192 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Starfishman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Starfishman »

I guess the reason why the filmmakers replaced Gamera's trademark roar with Kong '76's roar is to change the character up a little bit

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

^^Despite sounding like shit and being less unique. I don't get you guys, I mean, the way I see it, Gamera is fun, but second-rate stuff and not worth getting all pissed about they changed the roar. Godzilla's roar is easily recognizable. Show Gamera's to a non-kaiju fan and they'd probably say it's an elephant.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

if anyone could give me a link to an English torrent, it'd be much appreciated.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

I also didn't care for the snapping turtles to tortoise transition. They obviously did this to cut back on the menacing look of the Heisei Gamera design but Toto (and adult Gamer) looked like a real pussy.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

NSZ wrote:
omgitsgodzilla wrote:^^Despite sounding like shit and being less unique. I don't get you guys, I mean, the way I see it, Gamera is fun, but second-rate stuff and not worth getting all pissed about they changed the roar. Godzilla's roar is easily recognizable. Show Gamera's to a non-kaiju fan and they'd probably say it's an elephant.
Well then, best be off changing every roar that isn't Godzilla's into some generic ass-sh*t that you hear in every SyFy movie ever made then, eh? I mean, after all if a non-kaiju fan can't recognize it, it's not worth keeping amiright? :roll:
Okay, you've got a point there. I'm just saying even the "classic" Gamera roar is pretty generic in and of itself, and so I don't see the huge amounts of harm done by changing it to something just a little bit more menacing and monster-ish.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

wataru wrote:
zilla103192 wrote:if anyone could give me a link to an English torrent, it'd be much appreciated.
You cant link torrents here. But we torrent users love ThePirateBay.org
i meant like a pm dummeh :P

and im a big torrent user... and piratebay is my #1 torrent shop. but they only have the japanese version. which isnt bad... i just prefer not reading my movies if i dont have too.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

damn... ill dl it tonight

kpa
G-Grasper

Sneak Peek at Shout’s GAMERA VS ZIGRA/GAMERA: THE SUPER MONS

Post by kpa »

SciFi Japan has updated with screenshots from Shout! Factory's upcoming GAMERA VS ZIGRA/GAMERA: THE SUPER MONSTER Double Feature Collector’s Edition DVD set:

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2011 ... ature-dvd/

gilamonster
Samurai

Re: Sneak Peek at Shout’s GAMERA VS ZIGRA/GAMERA: THE SUPER

Post by gilamonster »

I can't wait! The photos look great. I should start lining up in front of all my DVD retail stores to make sure I get the first copy. All of them.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Hellspawn28 wrote:Which Dubs to the DVD set come with?
Hellspawn, maybe you should try reading the article since the info you're asking about can be found there.

vaporchu
Monarch Researcher

Post by vaporchu »

Uh Legion, this is Monster Master you're talking to. He really doesn't give a damn about much, from what I can tell. :?

My knowledge of Gamera films is sadly limited, although I have watched a few of the dubbed films that we got with this massive collection of old monster movies once. I believe Zigra was among them, but not Super Monster. The latter one is what I want to see....this is the one that's supposed to have used stock footage to an even greater extent than Godzilla vs Gigan did, right?

EDIT: Oh no! It wasn't Zigra that I saw, it was Viras. Silly me...

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

These last two movies look awful. I'm pumped to get my hands on them.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I don't understand why GvZ got so much shit. I have only seen the Japanese version, but if it's the English dub that kills the fun, that's not Daiei's fault.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

wataru wrote:Did Sandy Frank do a dub of GvsZ? I have an R0 boot of the R2 so I dont know, but if they did, Id track down a VHS dub of it so hard....
Yup, in fact, Sandy Frank is the only US company that dubbed Gamera Vs. Zigra. AIP-TV never licensed it, so it took until the mid-1980s for GvZ to get a US VHS release.

And yeah...it's probably their worst/funniest dub.