General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by miguelnuva »

It might be because the film was already made but looking at Gyaos's role in the film it wasn't too far of a change from his showa role.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Chrispy_G wrote:In fact, having Gamera fight any monster that can't fly(or overcome his flight in a pivotal way) gives Gamera a VERY distinct advantage.
Yes, Gamera clearly had such a huge advantage over Barugon, Guiron, Zigra, and Legion thanks to his power of flight. :P Hell, even Viras managed to skewer him.
Chrispy_G wrote:Perhaps Gyaos was seen as easier to modernize. Barugon's freezing tongue could probably be done in a 'gritty and cool' way easily enough....but the whole 'shooting a rainbow out of its back' concept would be a hard one NOT make silly....no matter how you do it.
Who says Barugon would even have his rainbow in GGOTU? It's not like Gyaos kept his extinguisher spray. Even without his rainbow, Barugon would provide a nice opposites/fire-vs-ice type match up.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Of all the Showa kaiju, Barugon and Guiron are the ones I'd want to see return the most. Barugon would be fairly easy to update, already has a great design and roar and is one of the few ice related kaiju I can think of off the top of my head.

Guiron would probably be more difficult but I still want to see him come back. Entertaining villain and genuinely pretty badass considering how effortlessly he (literally) butchers Gyaos. Hell he was the first opponent to crack Gamera's shell.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Found this, Gamera and a very snaky Guiron both being being depicted as Genbu the black warrior of the north.

https://www.pixiv.net/en/artworks/81684935

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Whoa! Haven't seen that one before! Love the shape of Gamera's wing-arms and the blue light! Shocked they didn't do Garasharp.
And hey we got Guiron in a modern film! Or his grandson Knifehead from Pacific Rim.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Living Corpse wrote:Found this, Gamera and a very snaky Guiron both being being depicted as Genbu the black warrior of the north.

It's probably just a coincidence, but that Guiron redesign reminds me of a Rhino Ratsnake.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

_JNavs_ wrote:It's probably just a coincidence, but that Guiron redesign reminds me of a Rhino Ratsnake.

That's adorable!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Living Corpse wrote:Found this, Gamera and a very snaky Guiron both being being depicted as Genbu the black warrior of the north.

Never would have thought of Guiron. Great artistic execution of the idea. Though not sure how I feel about a heroic Guiron. :lol:
Resized Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I forgot how easy it would be to adapt both Jiger and Guiron into the Heisei mythos. Both look and have odd elements of mechanization. Wouldn't be hard to justify them as other Atlantan creations.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Some of them make cameos in the Heisei continuity Gamera vs Barugon manga.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ivo-goji wrote:Some of them make cameos in the Heisei continuity Gamera vs Barugon manga.
Top Left:
しかしそれは我々の生存を脅(this is blurry, but I'm assuming it's this kanji)かす存在なった。
However, became apparent that this (most likely in reference to the monsters) became a threat to our existence.

Bottom right:
民族間の紛争にそれは使われ憎しみか

Our people's conflicts/troubles
We used them/it to solve our people's problems

Ehhh, sorta got other things to do right now but may return to this.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Ivo-goji wrote:Some of them make cameos in the Heisei continuity Gamera vs Barugon manga.
Shame that the manga isn't included among Arrow's Gamera collection. Not saying they haven't gone above and beyond, but still, would be a nice inclusion too.
Resized Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

There's a fan theory that Zanon is from the same species as Viras cause one of the Space Woman in Super Monster calls Viras Zanon, maybe mistaking it for him.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Living Corpse wrote:There's a fan theory that Zanon is from the same species as Viras cause one of the Space Woman in Super Monster calls Viras Zanon, maybe mistaking it for him.
I've read some accounts claiming that in the very (and I mean very early) planning stages Gamera 2 that Viras was planned to be the lead of the film. Though I've never read this from any reliable source but if someone could confirm whether or not that's true it'd be appreciated.

Oh hell I remember when the 2015 trailer/short dropped people speculated the squid monster that showed up towards the end of it was Viras.
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If Guiron was brought back, then that snake design would be what I want. It could swing that blade head like a whip.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

edgaguirus wrote:If Guiron was brought back, then that snake design would be what I want. It could swing that blade head like a whip.
I'm not against any of them coming back (good god I love Barguon's manga redesign) but I would want the snake to be a new monster instead of cutting off Guiron's legs. Unless it was a transformation?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Shinji Higuchi Interview by David Milner and Guy Tucker. Translation by Yoshihiko Shibata. (Conducted in March 1995)
DM: Is Daiei planning to produce any other Gamera movies?

SH: Daiei's executives are discussing the idea of producing a sequel, but they have not yet made a final decision about it. I've heard a rumor that if a sequel is made, Viras will be in it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

That's interesting.

Legion has the 'being an alien' angle(then again, plenty of Gamera's foes were aliens), then Iris had a little bit of the tentacle action you would expect a Viras re-imagining would have.

So some descendant DNA of Viras trickled into those films indirectly, one way or another.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

This makes me angry Gamera never got a fighting game.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

With the Bandai Gamera '95 this year, the Arrow Video set, a Gamera High Grade set next year, and the Nezura mockumentary/spoof feature I'm hopeful that there are some stirrings within Kadokawa about doing... something with Gamera soonish.