General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by BlankAccount »

So some random thoughts.

- I like that Mana is given as an explanation for why Japan seems to be the center of the universe in these films. Gamera feeds off of it and other monsters sense this, wanting to take it for themselves or just outright destroy him. In G3 they even think that's why Legion landed in Japan. I do believe Mana can replenish and it helps nature recover from pollution and normally Gamera isn't absorbing too much so he isn't harmful but he had used so much for his Mana Cannon it slowed this healing down and as we know from G1, they think a polluted environment is ideal for Gyaos.

-I do think the series ended where it should have, it's prefect but had a G4 been made I would have liked it if Gamera stayed an amputee for the whole film. He's resurrected so many times from near death and I think it'd help show that he can actually die, and even if they find evidence he can grow it back it would show that recovering from a limb loss is way different then skin being burned. Maybe Gamera was right handed so now he has to learn to be left handed, and when he flies he has to constant adjust so he doesn't veer to the side in Jet Mode or dip in Saucer Mode due to the wings and jets in his right stump missing large chunks.

-I like that we see Gyaos is smart. Gamera is too but I love that when Super Gyoas is perusing Gamera it gains enough speed to fold it's wings to it's side, keep it's neck and back straight, and aerodynamic head facing forward to get that final speed boost and becomes a living missile.

-I also like Gamera either wanted it to do that or was fast thinking enough to take advantage of that so once it was in front of him he could bite on her leg and never let go. Gyaos are cunning but Gamera is more so, he has to be, there's only one of him against all of them. He wouldn't be the last survivor of Atlantis if he didn't think.

- I like that because Gamera is made to kill the Gyaos, Gamera is out of his league fighting the Legion. It's not an enemy he is made to fight, and his creators probably never imagined he'd have to fight space aliens. It's an out of context threat and at his wits end Gamera tries the last resort weapon he normally wouldn't out of desperation when everything else failed.

- It's also a great example that Gamera doesn't just mindlessly follow his "programing" and can think for himself. He was made to protect the Earth from the Gyaos. Legion are not Gyaos but are a threat to the Earth and Gamera does recognize this and treats them as such, fighting an enemy he was never "programmed" for nor has any frame of reference for.
Chrispy_G wrote:I'm digging these anatomy photos!

The booklet in the Box Set is supposed to include "X-Ray" images, I hope we get a bunch of them....they are so fun to look at, and just add this extra layer to the fictional reality these movies exist in.
Yeah, it's a shame these books are never localized outside of Japan. I'd buy them. We're usally at the mercy of someone else uploading them online and sometimes we're really lucky they get translated. I've been tracking them down and using Google Translate to ask the posters the names of the books they come from. I can not for the life of me find an Anatomy of G3 Gamera, Iris or Adult Brave Gamera.
Vakanai wrote:I really like the Garasharp/snake ally suggestion, I think that would be a cool visual.
My personal headcanon is he had a snake ally in the Heisei timeline but at some point it gave it's life in the Gyaos-Atlantis war and now Gamera's by himself, hence why if Gamera is supposed to be the Guardian of the North why he is depicted with a snake but always by himself during the events of the Trilogy.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gamera's 2015 design was pretty cool.

Resized Image

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Wish there were better pics of that model -

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:Gamera's 2015 design was pretty cool.

And strangely spiky!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

God, if there's one thing that I absolutely hate about the 2015 short, y'know aside from it being the biggest blue-balling cocktease of the 21st century thus far, it's that they pretty much went out of their way to deprive us of a good look at that model.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

NSZ wrote:God, if there's one thing that I absolutely hate about the 2015 short, y'know aside from it being the biggest blue-balling cocktease of the 21st century thus far, it's that they pretty much went out of their way to deprive us of a good look at that model.
Probably cause they were really confident they were gonna get investors and could tease what Gamera looked like till they had a film.

Anyways...

Something that's been bugging me is Iris is supposed to have four tentacles and it does on land, but I swear to god he has grown extra tentacles when flying cause I'm seeing eight! Was this a mistake or does supplemental say he has an extra set he retracts into his body?

Sekizawa
Samurai

Post by Sekizawa »

The four he has split part of the way down and form a membrane between them for his wings, so the four do look like eight if you’re looking at the tips.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Sekizawa wrote:The four he has split part of the way down and form a membrane between them for his wings, so the four do look like eight if you’re looking at the tips.
They split? Geeze. Thank you for answering.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Somewhat horrifying -

For the longest time I didn't know Showa Gyaos was blue, I thought it was red like Heisei.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

He's more black, really. If he's blue, he's a really, really dark blue, not a bright, vibrant shade. I don't get why he's so often portrayed as being bright blue like that.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno I'd say that dark blue in the picture is close enough. I mean Guiron isn't really that healthy green either.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:Gamera's 2015 design was pretty cool.

Epic. I always thought that design was influenced by the 2014 Godzilla.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno doesn't look all that different from Heisei Gamera. A bit of G1 and G2. I mean I'm fine with that. If there is a Gamera that looks pretty different it's Toto's dad/previous life in The Brave.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:He's more black, really. If he's blue, he's a really, really dark blue, not a bright, vibrant shade. I don't get why he's so often portrayed as being bright blue like that.
Same reason Barugon is brown.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

He's kinda brown/clay in some shots. https://kaiju.wdfiles.com/local--files/ ... 966_01.jpg
Last edited by daveblackeye15 on Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Showa Gyaos alwats looked more gray to me.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Yeah, I always thought Showa Gyaos was more black, or at least dark gray, with the occasional dash of red.

"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I do like the color of Showa Gyaos, plus his vampire cape style wings.
Resized Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:I do like the color of Showa Gyaos, plus his vampire cape style wings.
I wonder if you could still do that style of wings and make it look good for a big budget movie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I color-picked Showa Gyaos for his Monster March drawing and I can confirm that he's grey. No blue here.