General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
UltramanGoji

Re: General Gamera Thread

Post by UltramanGoji »

Considering the "adult entertainment" at the end there, it's entirely possible it could be an exhibition by a local film club or something.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Terasawa wrote:^ That's what the Japanese Wikipedia entry seems to imply, although it notes that a citation is needed.
I got that bit from Ragone. Specifically from the videos he did with Shout Factory TV.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

kamilleblu wrote:
Terasawa wrote:^ That's what the Japanese Wikipedia entry seems to imply, although it notes that a citation is needed.
I got that bit from Ragone. Specifically from the videos he did with Shout Factory TV.
Noted, thanks!
UltramanGoji wrote:Considering the "adult entertainment" at the end there, it's entirely possible it could be an exhibition by a local film club or something.
Oh yeah, I don't think it was a case of the theater getting prints from a notable distributor. Operations like Sinister Cinema and Something Weird Video have shown that English-language prints and trailers from the Japanese studios made it to North America, so I wouldn't be too surprised if the same was true for two of Daiei's most exportable films. I'm just not all that certain how the seedy underworld of film distribution in the '60s worked so I can't make a guess to exactly how they ended up in Calgary, but it could have been a film club (as you said) or some wheeler-dealer that got his hands on the prints or something along those lines.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Random thing, apropos of nothing being discussed, but I found out over the weekend that a former co-worker of mine used to do some dubbing, and he and his wife both provided voices for the U.S. version of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. He just did bit roles (most notably the helicopter pilot in the Dome sequence), but she was the voice of Asagi!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote:Random thing, apropos of nothing being discussed, but I found out over the weekend that a former co-worker of mine used to do some dubbing, and he and his wife both provided voices for the U.S. version of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. He just did bit roles (most notably the helicopter pilot in the Dome sequence), but she was the voice of Asagi!
Do you just happen to bump into movie stars every other day in the week! Seriously i'm just too jealous of you! :evil:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:Random thing, apropos of nothing being discussed, but I found out over the weekend that a former co-worker of mine used to do some dubbing, and he and his wife both provided voices for the U.S. version of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. He just did bit roles (most notably the helicopter pilot in the Dome sequence), but she was the voice of Asagi!
Amanda Winn-Lee (Rei in the classic NGE dub)? Neat!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

kamilleblu wrote:
Thanks for the reply. That's interesting if it's true. I was sort of hoping it was from goodwill instead. :(
Awesome.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Kaneko directed three of the most solid kaiju films to date. Bringing him back twenty five years later, way after his retirement, just to pick up on a trend is silly.
I'd say four of the most solid. Are you leaving out Attack of Legion or GMK? All four Kaneko kaiju films are in my top fifteen, all except maybe Legion are in my top ten.
I've seen LSD praise GMK before, so I would assume he's leaving out Legion.

All four are absolutely in my top ten. Kaneko is my second favorite kaiju director after Honda, bar none.
Kept meaning to respond to this. I meant exclusively the Gamera Trilogy, but yeah, GMK counts, so that's four. For posterity sake I consider GMK higher than GOTU/Legion. But yeah, I would say Kaneko is up there with Honda (at least in comparison to some of the millennium directors). I think he also shows that he's able to capture and execute three different types of films with different tones as well.

When I saw him in person, he was really "tired" and came off as really relaxed and humble. I just don't see him as the type to keep doing things for the sake of doing things. I feel like he'd do something ultraman related (he had an ultraman tie on!)
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Do you just happen to bump into movie stars every other day in the week! Seriously i'm just too jealous of you! :evil:
"Movie stars"? Those I bump into very rarely. TV editors with some background in voice work and stand up comedy? Dime a dozen. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

eabaker wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
"Movie stars"? Those I bump into very rarely. TV editors with some background in voice work and stand up comedy? Dime a dozen. ;)
IDK I'M STILL JEALOUS! :evil:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: When I saw him in person, he was really "tired" and came off as really relaxed and humble. I just don't see him as the type to keep doing things for the sake of doing things. I feel like he'd do something ultraman related (he had an ultraman tie on!)
Kaneko did direct an episode of Ultraman Max (which featured "cameos" by Godzilla 2001 and G3 Gamera, portrayed by two Bandai toys).

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
Amanda Winn-Lee (Rei in the classic NGE dub)? Neat!
That would be her! His name is Jason Lee.

Xenofauna
Yojimbo

Post by Xenofauna »

UltramanGoji wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: When I saw him in person, he was really "tired" and came off as really relaxed and humble. I just don't see him as the type to keep doing things for the sake of doing things. I feel like he'd do something ultraman related (he had an ultraman tie on!)
Kaneko did direct an episode of Ultraman Max (which featured "cameos" by Godzilla 2001 and G3 Gamera, portrayed by two Bandai toys).
He actually directed six episodes of Ultraman Max, the most of any single director who worked on the show, and I think he was actually considered the main director of the show along with Takeshi Yagi, its producer, who directed five episodes himself. Kaneko helms episodes one, two, eleven, twelve, thirty-five, and thirty-six. Episode 36 in particular is incredibly hilarious, showing off Kaneko's knack for slapstick in a way none of his kaiju features ever did.

Also worth noting that the battling Bandai figures scene only turned up in the broadcast version and was edited out for the DVD release. Don't expect to see it when Mill Creek eventually gets around to releasing it stateside.
Last edited by Xenofauna on Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'll be honest: I always thought Kaneko was the only the director who could pull a Godzilla vs. Gamera film. Too bad he's retired now.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Xenofauna wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
He actually directed six episodes of Ultraman Max, the most of any single director who worked on the show, and I think he was actually considered the main director of the show along with Takeshi Yagi, its producer, who directed five episodes himself. Kaneko helms episodes one, two, eleven, twelve, thirty-five, and thirty-six. Episode 36 in particular is incredibly hilarious, showing off Kaneko's knack for slapstick in a way none of his kaiju features ever did.

Also worth noting that the battling Bandai figures scene only turned up in the broadcast version and was edited out for the DVD release. Don't expect to see it when Mill Creek eventually gets around to releasing it stateside.
Oh, cool. I had no idea.

Shame about the Godzilla vs. Gamera scene being cut. Guess that's another alternate version we'll have to hold onto/acquire ourselves.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Somebody tweeted this. Any idea what it is?

https://chizai-watch.com/t/2020006461
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Somebody tweeted this. Any idea what it is?

https://chizai-watch.com/t/2020006461
It might be a sign...

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

It's a Japanese Twitter bot that tweets out trademark registrations. These often clue people in about the titles of upcoming yearly tokusatsu shows, so some people are speculating that Kadokawa is preparing to release something Gamera-related; in this case I think it's more likely they're just renewing the trademark.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Appears to just be a trademark listing. Of what I can make out, it seems to be a general trademark or something listing online videos, animation and some other things. Probably is just a renewal of the character trademark. It’s definitely listed under Kadowoka, which is a good thing because it means they either have plans or don’t want to just drop the IP.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Even a video game would be nice at this point.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well I now have a Japanese copy of the Gamera Gaurdian of the Universe Dark Horse Comic.