General Gamera Thread

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: General Gamera Thread (New Movie Announced!)

Post by eabaker »

I find the first three Gamera flicks all pretty dull. I'm mostly fine with skipping them and starting with Viras, which I find to be goofy fun.

I consider Zigra and Super Monster - hmmm, unwatchable is too harsh, but they can both be a bit of a struggle to get through.

That run of Viras-Guiron-Jiger has just the tone I like in Showa-era Gamera.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

My rankings of the Showa films-

1. Guiron
2. Jiger
3. Barugon
4. Gyaos
5. Gamera
6. Viras
7. Zigra
8. Super Monster
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I personally enjoyed vs. Zigra the best- most definitely in a 'laughing at, not with' sense, but still... :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

For me Gyaos balances the best aspects of the first two films so it's my favorite Showa film and I see why it inspired the basic premise of GOTU. How do you make Gamera stand out from Godzilla? Showcase his flying abilities and have him fight another flying monster!

However, the little stock footage montage that ends Gyaos basically heralds in the more overbearingly kiddy tone the remaining films would have, with Jiger being my favorite of that bunch.

The 90s trilogy deserves all the praise it gets, and Gamera the Brave is supremely underrated.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I need to give Gamera the Brave another chance didn't really care for it when I first saw it. Also I love the 90's trilogy but I always forget about Gamera 2. It's not bad it just feels disconnected from 1 and 3. I think its because Legion doesn't have any ties to earth or the ancient society that created Gyaos, Gamera, and Iris.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I forget about Gamera 2, and I love that movie, but it’s disconnected from the other two.

Also, is Gamera the Brave worth buying on DVD for $25? I notice it’s not available for streaming on Amazon Prime or YouTube rentals.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's pretty hard to find these days so I'd say go for it. Probably my favorite Gamera movie.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

It's been a short while since I last watched a Gamera movie. So tonight I decided to give Gamera Vs Viras another spin.

I might get called out on this, but those three girl scouts are cute, so cute!

Anyhow, Viras is a pretty unique monster within all of kaiju cinema. Good stuff. I particularly enjoy the opening of this movie, where Gamera just breaks his face through a spaceship wall.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Anyhow, Viras is a pretty unique monster within all of kaiju cinema. Good stuff. I particularly enjoy the opening of this movie, where Gamera just breaks his face through a spaceship wall.
That is a moment of transcendent cinematic glory and it makes my heart leap every time I see it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Barugon is the best Showa one. Outside of that I really like Jiger since it is nicely put together and Guiron is just kinda crazy. Hm seems like I really like the four legged Showa Gamera monsters.

Jeff-Goldblum1
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum1 »

Just watched Gamera: Super Monster

This is definitely a movie that exists. In many ways it captures exactly what a kaiju film should be, a reel of monster fights. For better or worse it's the movie equivalent of a greatest hits album.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

We're never getting a new movie!

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:Just watched Gamera: Super Monster

This is definitely a movie that exists.
You don't say?!
Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:In many ways it captures exactly what a kaiju film should be, a reel of monster fights. For better or worse it's the movie equivalent of a greatest hits album.
Snark aside, I do agree with you. I actually enjoy this movie, even though it's terrible.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

ROMG4 wrote:We're never getting a new movie!
Stranger things have happened.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

This is definitely a movie that exists. In many ways it captures exactly what a kaiju film should be, a reel of monster fights. For better or worse it's the movie equivalent of a greatest hits album.
Movie's awful, but captures exactly what average Showa tokusatsu is about.

Added in 1 minute 28 seconds:
ROMG4 wrote:We're never getting a new movie!
We are... Just not right now. Give the turtle some time and you'll see we will get something as good as the Heisei trilogy.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

While nothing major is happening now, Gamera has a great chance of returning in the future especially with the Godzillaverse in the planning stages at Toho. Hopefully they do a better job than DC though haha

Dawsbfiremind
EDF Instructor

Post by Dawsbfiremind »

This is definitely a movie that exists.
:shock: I had no idea.
goji89 wrote:
Dawsbfiremind wrote:People have asked me how I can want to be a writer
With skills like this......I wonder too.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Holy mother of Bagan we actually are stuck in limbo.
TK drinking game official rules.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... 0#p1564587

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Destorogoji wrote:

What, in your mind, constitutes the "average Showa tokusatsu"? Average by what metric?

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

eabaker wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:

What, in your mind, constitutes the "average Showa tokusatsu"? Average by what metric?
I wasn't meaning "average" in quality, but "average" in what was common to see on TV.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Anguirus wrote:I forget about Gamera 2, and I love that movie, but it’s disconnected from the other two.

Also, is Gamera the Brave worth buying on DVD for $25? I notice it’s not available for streaming on Amazon Prime or YouTube rentals.
In my opinion yes. Among the better giant monster movies of that time.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren