Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Old dinosaur related movies/shows

Post by Godzilla21 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Planet of the Dinosaurs is a pretty bad film. The fx work is top notch for the low budget though.
To me that's part of the charm. The cheesy 70s uniforms and dialogue make the film along with the FX.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Planet of the Dinosaurs is a pretty bad film. The fx work is top notch for the low budget though.
To me that's part of the charm. The cheesy 70s uniforms and dialogue make the film along with the FX.
The synth music was irritating, though. They needed someone like Goblin or John Carpenter to do the music.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

HEADS UP: The Blu-ray release of Them!, Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, Son of Kong, and Mighty Joe Young is currently OOP! Pick it up while you can! Amazon still has it, so be quick!
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Awesome! Probably should have released it with People though. Here's hoping Warlords of Atlantis gets the Bray treatment.
Late reply here, but that's out on Blu now also.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Woah, why did they go OOP so fast?

I feel bad about missing out on them, but I've always been fine with my DVD copies and can't really spare enough to upgrade right now.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Starsteam wrote:Woah, why did they go OOP so fast?

I feel bad about missing out on them, but I've always been fine with my DVD copies and can't really spare enough to upgrade right now.
It appears that quite a few Warner titles have recently gone OOP without much explanation, and it appears these titles are among the casualties.
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

schvanzbass
Interpol Agent

Post by schvanzbass »

Glad I snagged the Blu of 'Them!' already. Shame about 'Beast' though, I wanted that on Blu.
I'm gonna start doing horror/sci-fi/kaiju/exploitation film reviews, check it out won't you?

http://www.facebook.com/michaeljayreviews

Dino-Mario
G-Force Personnel

Post by Dino-Mario »

Anyone remember Dinosaucers? You know, it's a pretty standard cartoon for its time, there are two factions of anthro alien dinos, the good guys (led by an Allosaurus) and the bad guys (led by a Tyrannosaurus, of course), both groups come to Earth, the good ones make friendship with a bunch of teenagers and they all fight together against the bad dinos to stop them from taking over Earth. Typical 80's fare. Even if it wasn't top-notch, it did have its charm. Plus, Teryx was hawt.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I do recall that show. It was allright.

Anyone seen The Crater Lake Monster? I have it on a dvd collection of films, and tried it out. The plesiosaur and the blonde paleontologist are the best things about this movie. Thes rest is forgettable or just plain bad. And why did those two red necks not get eatten? Why not spare the audience of their annoyance by having them become dino chow before the end? I'm not watching this one again.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

So I finally got around the watching the Special Effects Collection from WB. Best movie of the bunch was Mighty Joe Young. Can't believe how much they abused those poor lions! That would not go down today at all. I found Beast from 20,000 Fathoms to be very interesting. It actually reminded me a lot of G98. The way they track the beast from the ice to NY and his sudden unannounced appearance in NY. Them! and Son of Long were meh.
SpaceG92 wrote:

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Oh yeah, it appears WB sent out some wrong sheet or something and the Special Effects collection is not going OOP. A few other titles that appeared to be going OOP also were just being restocked.

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Bah, dagnabbit WB. I was worried about scalpers. If any of them did move in right away and buy armfuls of the blu rays though, heh heh heh.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Bump with film release updates.
The Tokyo Shock DVD of Legend of Dinosaurs and Monster Birds is 100% OOP.
The People That Time Forgot Blu-ray was released May 24, and you can read the review for it over at Blu-ray.com.
Kino [the same company that has released Yongary, Land That Time Forgot, and People Time Forgot on Blu-ray) have announced they will be releasing One Million Years B.C. on Blu-ray!

Also, for future reference, I will be updating the OP with film releases on DVD/Blu-ray to help keep everyone up to date.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Old Dinosaur Related Movies/Shows

Post by Godzilla21 »

Just watched Valley of Gwangi for first time in probably 20 years. Still a fun movie. Despite the fact the elephant makes some terrifying sounds.
SpaceG92 wrote:

repticulous
Ronin

Post by repticulous »

H-Man wrote: EDIT: I watched Unknown Island at the end of last year. That had some interesting suitmation monsters, of the sort that makes Eiji Tsuburaya look like high-quality CGI in comparison. Unfortunately, I watched an Italian dub, so some of the apparently solid acting was lost.
Unknown Island is the exact opposite of Planet of Dinosaurs: a well-written and acted movie with a good music score and substandard special effects. I wish my dvd of Planet of Dinosaurs had an option to watch it in Italian to insulate me from the bad dialog delivered badly. But I guess I'd still be stuck with the awful synthesizer "music".

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

edgaguirus wrote:Anyone seen The Crater Lake Monster? I have it on a dvd collection of films, and tried it out. The plesiosaur and the blonde paleontologist are the best things about this movie. Thes rest is forgettable or just plain bad. And why did those two red necks not get eatten? Why not spare the audience of their annoyance by having them become dino chow before the end? I'm not watching this one again.
To be fair, one of the rednecks does get eaten, or at least gnawed to death, by the plesiosaur. It's small comfort after suffering through their antics, but it's something.

Added in 9 minutes 29 seconds:
Godzilla21 wrote:So I finally got around the watching the Special Effects Collection from WB. Best movie of the bunch was Mighty Joe Young. Can't believe how much they abused those poor lions! That would not go down today at all. I found Beast from 20,000 Fathoms to be very interesting. It actually reminded me a lot of G98. The way they track the beast from the ice to NY and his sudden unannounced appearance in NY. Them! and Son of Kong were meh.
Godzilla 1998 is a blatant rip-off of Beast, right down to losing track of it after its first appearance in New York. It doesn't really diverge greatly from the plot until the baby Godzillas are introduced. Hell, you have the whole French secret service subplot and the hero of Beast is French!

And I love Them! so much, I can't conceive of putting it on the same level as the mediocre Son of Kong.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Them is a classic, loaded with suspense and fine acting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

So I picked up the When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth Blu Ray. I haven't seen it in years. The special effects are really good and I noticed they weren't even done by Harryhausen but by an extremely capable Jim Danforth. The Chasmosaurus and Plesiosaur were highlights. I wish there had been a dinosaur fight though. That's always my favorite part of these movies. Victoria Vetri is stunning and since this is the international version they actually show her nude scene. Didnt expect that but a pleasant surprise ;) overall it's a good movie. I like how the ending is different than usual Dino endings. I give One Million Years BC a little higher rating but not by a whole lot.
SpaceG92 wrote:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Don't forget Warner Archive is releasing Valley of Gwangi on Bluray on Tuesday.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I haven't seen Gwangi in awhile. Definately one to get.

TheSecondComing
Futurian

Post by TheSecondComing »

I love that a young Leonard Nimoy is in THEM! and a young Clint Eastwood is in Tarantula.

Anyway I just tracked down another VHS of Planet of the Dinosaurs last week. I had one before but it was ready to die from tracking lines.