Giant Monsters in Animated Film & Television

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Darth Calypso
Futurian

Re: Giant Monsters in Animated Film & Television

Postby Darth Calypso » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:27 pm

The Death Saurer from Zoids: Chaotic Century/ Guardian Force
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Can't forget Voltron! There's also an old episode of the classic Superman cartoons where he does battle with a giant dinosaur thawed out from an iceberg. Also there's the Superman TAS where he fights Titano. The there's also the multitude of monsters from the Power Puff Girls. Oh and the giant hatchet head monster Dexter fought.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:25 am

In the first season of Superman:The Animated Series, Supes had to fight it out with a gigantic stone android called the Promethian in an episode of the same name. It was released from its asteroid prison when it prison was destroyed by the U.S. military when the asteroid it was latched to was heading towards the Earth.

Speaking of things that lurked in asteroids. In the classic episode of the original TRANSFORMERS series, The Secret of Omega Supreme. An asteroid that approached the Earth became an item of interest to the Decepticons due to its minerial content could be a bountiful energy resource. However, surprise , surprise said asteroid turned out to an an egg, it hatched, and the winged monstrosity which emerged ,and went on a rampage. Then there is the third season episode, The Dweller In The Depths, which introduced the Quintessons' first creations ,the Trans-Organics.http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Trans-Organic A part-machine, part living organism hybrid creation, that were supposed to be the Quints workforce. Unfortunately they were unable to complete the most simple of tasks, and were meaner than a bag of rats in a burning meth lab. The most powerful of which ended up locked up by the Quintessons, until the buggers tricked Galvatron into releasing them in order for them to take out the Autobots on Cybertron in order to take it back. Image However, the most dangerous of the Trans-Organics, the vampiric Dweller, which had lurked in the bowels of Cybertron unemcumbered, showed up, and ate the just freed Trans-Organics.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:39 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Can't forget Voltron!

Voltron= Super Robots (see my post above)

The One and Only wrote:In the classic episode of the original TRANSFORMERS series, The Secret of Omega Supreme.

My favorite episode from the original series, for obvious reasons ;)

Darth Calypso wrote:The Death Saurer from Zoids: Chaotic Century/ Guardian Force

If we are going to include that, then I guess we can Give Trypticon from Transformers a pass here also (basically the same thing). But I would really try to refrain from using too many Transformers. They are sentient robots NOT Monsters, but even Trypticon was referred to as a "Monster" on a couple of occasions, so this would be a rare exception. But as The One and Only pointed out, Monsters that appeared within the Transformers series are OK ;)

Chaos (from the transformers episode of the same name)
Looking for Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening English credit sequence

ZillaMaster91
G-Grasper

Postby ZillaMaster91 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:44 pm

Can't believe people forgot the Leviathan!

Or this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fPcqu5aMyw

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:06 pm

^ Ah, yes; how DID I forget?

Thanks to everyone for all the contributions thus far (especially Inferno Rodan - I can't believe I forgot Negadon either). Feel free to actually DISCUSS all these beasties too! ;-)

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Another animated series from the series, part of the Marvel/Sunbow glory days of the mid-eighties, was Dungeons & Dragons. Which featured a group of youths transported to the fantastical realm of Dungeons and Dragons. Along with the show's Big Bad Venger, one of the show's other major menaces the kids tried to stay clear of until the episode, The Dragon's Graveyard,and the only other thing in the realm Venger feared, was the fearsome, five headed dragon queen TIAMAT.
Before I even knew King Ghidorah existed, she was the multi-headed menace in my mind that would give Godzilla a run for his money. As someone else thought as well.

Oddly enough, another favorite from the show was another multi-headed monster called Demo-Dragon.
A creation of the show's Big Bad, Venger, as part of a plan to get his hands on what was basically a silver bullet to all dragons in the realm, especially the before mentioned Tiamat. Demo-Dragon, half-dragon, half-demon. Possessed two heads. From the red one it could spew flame. The blue one, feezing cold. Brought to bear in the episode, The Treasure of Tartos, Venger soon lost control of his creation after its release. Forcing him to ally with the show's heroes to defeat the demon/dragon hybrid.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

edgaguirus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby edgaguirus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:38 pm

Add Dai-Guard to the list of anime. The heterodyne were pretty big, and could be just as destructive.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:12 am

Kong: The Animated Series had a giant monster in just about every episode, not including Kong or dinosaurs.

Primevalgodzilla V2
EDF Soldier

Postby Primevalgodzilla V2 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 am

I don't see how all Transformers technically don't count as giant monsters.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

o.supreme
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby o.supreme » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:39 am

mon·ster /ˈmänstər/noun - An imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening.

Transformers- Large (some are like Trypticon, most are not excessively large), ugly (most transformers are not ugly), frightening, most are not frightening by their appearance. Sure Humans may fear Decepticons for their actions the same as they would fear any human criminal, terrorist etc.. but not in he same way you would fear a monster. Again just my opinion though

The One and Only wrote:Another animated series from the series, part of the Marvel/Sunbow glory days of the mid-eighties, was [b][color=#BF0000]Dungeons & Dragons

Yes! I love the D&D animated series despite never having played the game. Also the two episodes you mentioned are my favorites! In fact I bought the budget Mill Creek complete set on DVD just so I could have a clean copy of Dragons Graveyard (The original BCI/Eclipse deluxe box set had a defect causing about 2 minuets of that episode to be skipped). Also I love that Godzilla vs Tiamat picture I have never seen that before. That may be my new wallpaper. Its just too bad there never was a Demo-Dragon vs Tiamat battle even though it was teased at in the episode.
Looking for Gamera Super Monster with Filmways opening English credit sequence

Primevalgodzilla V2
EDF Soldier

Postby Primevalgodzilla V2 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:38 am

Transformers- Large (some are like Trypticon, most are not excessively large), ugly (most transformers are not ugly), frightening, most are not frightening by their appearance. Sure Humans may fear Decepticons for their actions the same as they would fear any human criminal, terrorist etc.. but not in he same way you would fear a monster. Again just my opinion though

True, but then I don't find anything in this thread so far frightening or ugly. And the movie Transformers definitely fit the bill, since they are designed in a manner that makes them look more like beasts.

Also, don't you find the Animated Transformers ugly? :lol:
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Starsteam
Keizer

Postby Starsteam » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 am

I think Transformers can be classified in the Giant Monster category to an extent. Surely Giant Alien Robots fits somewhere on the family tree. Plus not all monsters are necessarily frightening. I don't really want to bring the whole 'what counts as a monster' thing up again, but it really only matters to one's opinion.

Rody
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Rody » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:56 pm

It seems we've lost a few good posts in here...

Well, anyway, I've added a few more titles to the list. It turns out animation pioneer Winsor McCay sort of tried his hand with giant monsters in his short, Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend: The Pet, in which a man dreams that his wife adopts a strange little animal with a frightening metabolism.

Kaijunator
Kwaidan

Postby Kaijunator » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:27 pm

What about the Bewilderbeast from How to train your Dragon 2?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)

Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.

TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!
Resized Image

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:02 pm

The creatures in Knights of Sidonia
The creature in King of Thorn
The creatures in Chrome Shelled Regios
The giant ape version of Goku in DBZ (?)
The creature in Neo Ranga
Wasn't there a Gamera-like monster in a Justice League episode?
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:10 pm

Tohosaurus wrote:Wasn't there a Gamera-like monster in a Justice League episode?

At the beginning of the third season episode of JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED, Chaos At The Earth's Core !!.

imperious reptilius
Yin-Yang Master

Postby imperious reptilius » Sun Nov 30, 2014 6:13 pm

Rody wrote:It seems we've lost a few good posts in here...

Well, anyway, I've added a few more titles to the list. It turns out animation pioneer Winsor McCay sort of tried his hand with giant monsters in his short, Dreams of a Rarebit Fiend: The Pet, in which a man dreams that his wife adopts a strange little animal with a frightening metabolism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39jimMyAFI

I LOVE Winsor McCay. His and many animated films from that era are just so magical to me, also you can't bring him up without bringing his girl Gertie, one the first 'giant monsters' in media period.

"You don’t like your job, you don’t strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That’s the American way."
-Homer Simpson

Now the gentle winds, beckons through the leaves~ As autumn colors fall~

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:16 pm

Grrkek from Megas XLR.
The Eel, Chimera, Hydra from Big O.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby The One and Only » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 pm

From the classic G.I. JOE:A Real American Hero miniseries that kicked off the whole shebang. More specifically Part Three, the rather frightening Tube Worms.
From the finale of M.A.S.S Device, the Cobra Bots.
The last which got a bit of an upgrade in Part Three of the second miniseries, The Revenge of Cobra.
Which ended up getting ghetto stomped by an animate four armed, fire breathing stone idol.

Then in the first season, the robot sea serpent from the ep, "Bazooka Saw A Sea Serpent".

Return to “Monster Manor”