King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
G-Grasper

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Vakanai » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:46 pm

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:
Vakanai wrote:There may be awful, awful people in the media as we now know, but those are usually the non-creative types. Carl Denham's supposed to be a director, they usually manage to find a rapport with their actors, 05 Carl could only find rapport probably with a hyena so sociopathic the other hyenas banished it from the pack.

Alfred Hitchcock famously referred to actors as cattle and was accused of sexual harassment by many of his actresses. One of the greatest film directors of all time, and also a misogynist and possibly a rapist.

Stanley Kubrick had numerous accusations of sexism and verbal abuse from his casts and crews. Once again, among the most celebrated film directors ever.

Lars von Trier is a raging misogynist and quite possibly a psychopath, yet critics worship his films.

You're welcome to dislike Jack Black's Carl Denham, but claiming that the character doesn't work because movie directors can't be awful people is an invalid argument.

Never said directors couldn't be awful people, just assumed most weren't, and that those who are/were I assumed were better able to hide it (Jack Black's Carl was unconvincing at his attempts to hide how awful he is). But holy crap I didn't know that about Hitchcock and Kubrick. Doesn't change my dislike of making Carl Denham like that however.

That's Chris Sale of the Boston Red Sox. UltramanGoji posted it because of the face he's making, not to imply that he's a douchebag.

Ah. I'm not a sports fan.

Added in 6 minutes 13 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:Yeah no, it was just a reaction image. I was wincing at the thought that it's "usually the non-creative types" which I disagree with. One of the most high profile was Harvey Weinstein, yes, but most of the awfulness seems to come mostly from actors, directors, comedians, etc. Amber Heard, Kevin Spacey, Louis C.K., Bryan Singer, I wouldn't exactly classify them as non-creatives.

Fair enough. I think the problem is I don't follow Hollywood news and gossip outside of what movies might be coming out, so I am unaware of most of these incidents. I only know what hits the "news" news, and that was mostly Weinstein and not all these others. So apparently Hollywood is full of awful people. Meh, still doesn't make the change to Carl Denham in 05 an improvement in my opinion.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

tbeasley
G-Grasper

Postby tbeasley » Sun May 03, 2020 6:05 am

Interesting writeup of the original -
Kim Morgan on King Kong

When casting his leading lady in the now immortal King Kong, director and producer Merian C. Cooper famously told Fay Wray: “You will have the tallest, darkest leading man in Hollywood.” Excited, she thought Cooper meant Clark Gable. Of course this tall dark stranger was not Clark Gable – he was something else entirely – but what a something else he was. And, indeed, he, this giant gorilla (lest you impossibly have no idea what I’m talking about) was truly the picture’s leading man – a damaged romantic, a rampaging id, a selfish, jealous lover, a violent innocent. All of those things that poured out of that tall, dark gorilla’s psyche, was at least a few things we could recognize in ourselves, at our most frightened and frightening state.

In King Kong, the only one we root for when it comes to survival and of protecting poor, beautiful Ann Darrow, (Wray), whom we also root for, is that 50 foot gorilla. That’s how it is for me anyway. And that’s part of the magic and power of Kong: we side, sometimes gleefully, full of righteous indignation, with the monster. Every man on the boat who journeyed Ann to that faraway island for entertainment and adventure (and food – the desperate woman was near-starving when discovered) can go on and race after Ann in the jungle or in the city, ward off creatures they never knew existed, risk life and limb for her. No matter. Pursuing the beauty nabbed for sacrifice, it is the misunderstood Kong who will not take his female offering to death, he loves her or wants to love her, and, perhaps this is wrong, but we are with him all the way. It’s primal and, in some cases, irrational, but within this fantasia, the only way we can possibly feel. We understand Ann’s terror and entrapment and yet… well, how do you make sense of any of this? You don’t. Until you see Kong again.

https://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/08/kim- ... king-kong/

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Sun May 03, 2020 10:57 am

That's a great quote. I find it baffling that there are people who compare the original to the Peter Jackson version and feel that Jackson enhanced the material by adding sympathy for Kong, when in my experiences audiences have always been sympathetic to Kong - Jackson just made it so heavy-handed that it feels too forced to elicit the genuine, natural emotion that the original evoked so organically.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Postby The Octopus » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:08 am

If anyone is interested Joe Devito just released 2 expanded editions to his King Kong of Skull Island book titled King Kong Skull Island: Exodus and King Kong Skull Island: The Wall
Last edited by The Octopus on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:02 am

https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Also, 34:20 what the skreoonk is that lip sync? Pretty sure you don't have to move your mouth that much to sing "SUUUUPREEEEEEME".
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Postby The Octopus » Fri Jun 19, 2020 5:40 am

Tried to hard to be Disney. But man that show had such lame production values. It looked like an 80s cartoon.

Added in 3 days 9 hours 19 minutes 38 seconds:
If you guys are interested in hearing Luke Skywalker sing about King Kong's penis size. Well here you go.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:03 pm

I've avoided the animated Kong stuff like the plague.

Cryptid_Liker
G-Grasper

Postby Cryptid_Liker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:35 pm

tyrantgoji wrote:https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Also, 34:20 what the skreoonk is that lip sync? Pretty sure you don't have to move your mouth that much to sing "SUUUUPREEEEEEME".

Excuse me, why are butt-ugly fireflies making a robe for King Kong while singing a bootleg Broadway number? Why are there musical numbers in Kong media other than the Australian stage-play?

What's even going on!?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Kwaidan

Postby Gigantis » Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:50 pm

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Excuse me, why are butt-ugly fireflies making a robe for King Kong while singing a bootleg Broadway number? Why are there musical numbers in Kong media other than the Australian stage-play?

What's even going on!?

Beats the crap outta me. :lol:

Worse, the musical numbers weren't even in the actual show! They just added it in to padden out the runtime!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Return to “Monster Manor”