King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
User avatar
The Octopus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby The Octopus » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:23 am

King Kong: The Most Supreme Superhero" sounds cooler than King Kong: The Eighth Wonder of The World
Image

User avatar
Cookson
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2896
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Cookson » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:50 am

Watched the original on Sunday at the theater. First time watching it on the big screen. Awesome experience. Been awhile since I watched it too.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6595
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Gigantis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:43 am

So i decided to go ahead and research the original 1998 draft for the 2005 King Kong remake, and now i can't help but feel kinda disappointed in the film we ended up getting. Don't get me wrong it's still a good movie, but Peter Jackson cut out a ton of stuff that could've been a far better one.

A Kong film with action like an Indiana Jones movie sounds too good for words, and the closest we ever got to it was Kong: Skull Island. Hopefully when the big guy gets (inevitably) rebooted again someone takes notes from the 98 script.
Last edited by Gigantis on Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
Angilasman
Monarch Researcher
Posts: 278
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:12 pm

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Angilasman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:02 am

^ I just picked up the newer Blu-ray of King Kong 2005 used, and the only difference between this one in my old Blu is that it contains all of the enormous amount of DVD special features from back in the day. I watched a bit the production doc and was absolutely gobsmacked at the moment right before production when Peter Jackson and his co decided to extensively rewrite the entire movie right before filming! I have to wonder if the excessive tinkering to the script didn't harm the movie overall.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6595
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Gigantis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:05 am

Angilasman wrote:I have to wonder if the excessive tinkering to the script didn't harm the movie overall.


Eh, i say it didn't. Jackson and the crew still put a lot of time and effort into it, from the film itself to behind the scenes even to the point of making an April Fools joke about their being two sequels about it. It also might be possible that maybe everything in the draft was too expensive.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
The Octopus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby The Octopus » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:07 am

Some of it was kinds stupid though. Like when Jack Driscoll is bouncing off of the giant spiders like they're friggin trampolines to escape from the spider pit.
Image

mikelcho
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby mikelcho » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:05 am

tyrantgoji wrote:
Angilasman wrote:I have to wonder if the excessive tinkering to the script didn't harm the movie overall.


Eh, i say it didn't. Jackson and the crew still put a lot of time and effort into it, from the film itself to behind the scenes even to the point of making an April Fools joke about their being two sequels about it. It also might be possible that maybe everything in the draft was too expensive.
Do we have titles for the two "sequels" and by any chance was one of them King Kong Meets Frankenstein?

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6595
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Gigantis » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:12 am

mikelcho wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Angilasman wrote:I have to wonder if the excessive tinkering to the script didn't harm the movie overall.


Eh, i say it didn't. Jackson and the crew still put a lot of time and effort into it, from the film itself to behind the scenes even to the point of making an April Fools joke about their being two sequels about it. It also might be possible that maybe everything in the draft was too expensive.
Do we have titles for the two "sequels" and by any chance was one of them King Kong Meets Frankenstein?


One was called "King Kong: Son of Kong" and the other was "King Kong: Into the Wolves Lair". It was about Kiko being rescued from Skull Island just before it sank underneath the waves, brought to Nazi Germany, and was equipped with machine guns on his back and had to take down genetically engineered abominations. It might be on the DVD set, but again, just an April Fools joke.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor
Posts: 2782
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:54 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Ivo-goji » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:49 am

To this day I wish there were a real Kong vs Nazis movie.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

User avatar
Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Terasawa » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Some of it was kinds stupid though. Like when Jack Driscoll is bouncing off of the giant spiders like they're friggin trampolines to escape from the spider pit.


Don't forget the interminable dinosaur stampede.
Save All Dubs. Sub All Tohos.

Resized Image

tbeasley
G-Grasper
Posts: 1254
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Location: South MS

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby tbeasley » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:43 am

tyrantgoji wrote:A Kong film with action like an Indiana Jones movie sounds too good for words, and the closest we ever got to it was Kong: Skull Island. Hopefully when the big guy gets (inevitably) rebooted again someone takes notes from the 98 script.


Their original approach was more like what The Mummy (1999) ended up being. I'm glad he finally got to do Kong post-LOTR rather than post-Frighteners. It's got too much going on, like all his post-LOTR work, but it's probably as good as a Kong remake will ever be.

Ivo-goji wrote:To this day I wish there were a real Kong vs Nazis movie.


I agree, despite being intended as a joke I think those Son of Kong ideas are quite cool.

User avatar
G2000
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 5345
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:34 pm

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby G2000 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:34 am

tyrantgoji wrote:So i decided to go ahead and research the original 1998 draft for the 2005 King Kong remake, and now i can't help but feel kinda disappointed in the film we ended up getting. Don't get me wrong it's still a good movie, but Peter Jackson cut out a ton of stuff that could've been a far better one.

A Kong film with action like an Indiana Jones movie sounds too good for words, and the closest we ever got to it was Kong: Skull Island. Hopefully when the big guy gets (inevitably) rebooted again someone takes notes from the 98 script.

Terasawa wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Some of it was kinds stupid though. Like when Jack Driscoll is bouncing off of the giant spiders like they're friggin trampolines to escape from the spider pit.


Don't forget the interminable dinosaur stampede.


Or Jack somehow finding a working biplane hanging from a building and flying it to protect Kong during the final battle, or openly embracing the "Kong fell for Ann because she's blonde" theory, or Ann shrugging off her father's death relatively quickly. Overall I thought Jackson's '96 script (read here) was very rough and I'm glad the 2005 version threw a lot of it out. Not that the 2005 version was perfect, but definitely superior to the first draft

One thing I will say I definitely didn't like about Jackson's Kong is how Denham is portrayed. He goes from being a brave and sympathetic man in the original and one of the few to actually care about Kong (I recall that in the Broadway scene he was the first to realize that the photographers were antagonizing Kong and tried to stop them) to a cheap sleazeball who's depicted as the villain of the story. Even more of an insult considering Denham was evidently modelled on Merian C. Cooper himself. It's a real shame considering that I otherwise quite enjoy Jackson's adaptation.

It's even worse in the first draft; while the rewrites and Jack Black managed to squeeze some level of sympathy in for Denham in the final 2005 film, in the '96 draft he's shown as a cruel and cowardly man who doesn't care at all about the lives of his crew, leaves Jack and Ann to die, and actually provokes Kong's rampage by slapping Ann around.
Last edited by G2000 on Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

User avatar
The Octopus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby The Octopus » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:50 am

G2000 wrote:Or Jack somehow finding a working biplane hanging from a building and flying it to protect Kong during the final battle


Oh yeah THAT part. That was beyond stupid. :lol:
Image

Online
User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4006
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 pm

The 98 (96? Can't remember when it was supposed to come out) script is INSANELY tounge in cheek and action piece but it never feels RIGHT. Like, stuff with that tone like The Mummy 99 or so on work because they EMBRACE that tone but Jackson seems like he wanted to make a GENUINE King Kong movie out of it. It's torn between "intentionally cheeky horror comedy" Jackson and "straight faced epic" Jackson and the tone problem KILLS it
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
gottatalktothefake
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1985
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:49 am
Location: Isla Nublar, 120 miles West of Costa Rica

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby gottatalktothefake » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:48 pm

That cut ending is actually an unlockable bonus in the 05 game, sadly it's not the actual movie but a level where you play as Jack shooting down the planes.
Legit, every KoTM hater I have ever seen on social media or interacted with are all the same. They are either these young kids to middle aged adults so detached from anything beyond the Japanese films that they can't enjoy anything that doesn't begin with one of the Toho logos. They're the type that would of had no issues with KoTM if it was a Japanese-made production and think films like Godzilla vs. Monster Zero are the pinnacle of human drama.
-MM

User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1216
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby cloverfan98 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:13 am

I personally love the 2005 film although I agree about the vilifying of Denham and how unnecessary that was. That being said I like the 2005 version because its one of the few remakes that adds to the source material rather than take away from it. Plus the recreation of the 1920's was amazing from NYC to the Venture. Adds so much depth and emotion to the film.

tbeasley
G-Grasper
Posts: 1254
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Location: South MS

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby tbeasley » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:05 am

Denham losing his moral compass gives him an interesting dynamic in the remake compared to the original. I mean, think of what he does. Even by 1930s standards it's pretty scummy. And it's obvious you're meant to empathize more with the Kong/Ann dynamic in the Jackson film than what poor Carl goes through.

The Mighty Joe Young remake also does a good job updating similar themes from its original.

User avatar
Monster X
G-Force Personnel
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:33 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Monster X » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:23 pm

He's a battle I'd love to see King Kong VS Moby Dick!!

Image
Image

User avatar
Jetty_Jags
Interpol Agent
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:27 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Jetty_Jags » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:36 pm

Call me Driscoll
He Jock it Made of Steel

User avatar
The Octopus
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 1130
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:06 am

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby The Octopus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Monster X wrote:He's a battle I'd love to see King Kong VS Moby Dick!!

Image


That would be pretty bad ass.
Image


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests