King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
_JNavs_
Kwaidan

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:17 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Wasn't the show gonna be based off one of those old Skull Island novels?

Yeah, Kong Of Skull Island. I don't know what happened to it. Hell, I'm still not sure if it was actually getting made.

I remember the last we saw of it was the title card. I didn't have high hopes tho :lol:

The title card looked like it was made in MS Paint with Harambes opacity set to 25% in the background :lol: , Hopefully it wasn't official
Sith Apprentice.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:54 am

Back in 1983 (to celebrate Kong's 50th anniversary) they put a giant inflatable Kong up on the ESB. This is from TIME magazine.

Terasawa
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Terasawa » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:35 pm

That's awesome, thanks for sharing that!
YouTube
変の声謎だよ。
Save All Dubs

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:24 am

Imagine driving down the street and seeing this giant King Kong bust on the back of a flatbed truck?

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Its the month of March which the 8th Wonder of the World came to be in the world of cinema and so like every year will be having my King Kong Marathon starting today.

And what better way then to start it off as always with the classic 1933 film. I much look forward to my marathon as I do every year. :D

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:09 am

It may not be King Kong but any chance you'll watch Gorilla The Conqueror? According to Homer Simpson its "The granddaddy of them all".

tbeasley
JXSDF Technician

Postby tbeasley » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:39 pm

There's only three real monsters, kid: Dracula, Blacula and Son of Kong!
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:27 pm

Anyone know if this trade ever came out?

https://www.kaijubattle.net/other-kaiju ... licitation
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:43 am

^Its been cancelled.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:09 am

Aww man, that’s a bummer.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue May 21, 2019 4:54 am

Back in 1996 Eiji Tsuburaya's family worked with a publishing company to put out a book about Eiji's life and career called Eiji Tsuburaya: The Film Director Who Made Ultraman. It was done in a manga style but published in hardcover. There was a section talking about Eiji seeing King Kong at the cinema and how it changed his life. He studied Willis O'Brien's film and decided to pursue a career in special effects hoping one day to make his own giant monster movie.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue May 21, 2019 7:06 am

I love pulling the thread of influence. Obie inspired so many who then turned around to inspire many more after. As Ray Harryhausen put it, “That’s why the way the snowball goes.” I know Kong inspired Tsuburaya, but Beast from 20,000 Fathoms had a big influence as well.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:26 pm

Mr. Yellow wrote:I love pulling the thread of influence. Obie inspired so many who then turned around to inspire many more after. As Ray Harryhausen put it, “That’s why the way the snowball goes.” I know Kong inspired Tsuburaya, but Beast from 20,000 Fathoms had a big influence as well.

Makes me sad that Ray hated the Godzilla films because Tsuburaya was just like him. A kindred spirit who was also influenced by Obie.

Mr. Yellow
Interpol Agent

Postby Mr. Yellow » Tue May 21, 2019 4:16 pm

I think he just didn’t get the appeal of the man in the suit. I’m not sure he hated it, after all the tokusatsu effects were more practical than CGI and he didn’t berate that. I can appreciate it all.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed May 22, 2019 7:16 am

*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Wed May 22, 2019 7:36 am

Vakanai wrote:*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?

Willis O'Brien
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
JXSDF Technician

Postby Vakanai » Wed May 22, 2019 7:42 am

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?

Willis O'Brien

See, I would have recognized that name! Nicknames, bah!
Thank you! :)
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:04 am

Not to sound like a shill but I Just picked up this great book

If you guys are remotely interested in lost King Kong films you'll enjoy the book. For me personally I never knew they planned an Abbot and Costello Meet King Kong movie.

Ivo-goji
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Ivo-goji » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:10 am

I actually have heard of that movie.
Resized Image

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

mikelcho
Interpol Agent

Postby mikelcho » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:45 am

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Not to sound like a shill but I Just picked up this great book

If you guys are remotely interested in lost King Kong films you'll enjoy the book. For me personally I never knew they planned an Abbot and Costello Meet King Kong movie.
I've got to pick this book up and see if he mentions King Kong Meets Frankenstein.
I'll bet he does and even has pictures of the art (hopefully all of them) and a copy of the screenplay treatment (or at least a synopsis of the plot)!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Monster Manor”