King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Saansilt
Futurian

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by Saansilt »

It is on Netflix and judging from the Tarzan CG series I was wise to ignore.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

It was okay. The 2000 series is much better. But I found it enjoyable enough to finish the season. I think it was renewed...
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Cool KING KONG poster painted by Christopher Shy.
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/238825 ... hy-poster/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Damn that's epic. And the King Kong font is right from the 1976 film.

Edit. BTW isn't this pretty cool. A "What-If" opening credits for King Kong vs Frankenstein had been made.
Last edited by The Octopus on Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I've been slowly working my way through the 2000s animated series for the 3rd time.

I really love this show. The human/animal hybrid monsters are such a fun concept. And the main cast is pretty enjoyable. I know it's not perfect, and probably the last thing Cooper had in mind for the future of Kong, but its such a neat little gem of a show that I can't help but just adore it.

It's a pretty solid companion for Godzilla: The Series.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Personally I found it to be too cheap looking. It looked like an 80s cartoon. Wasn't it produced by some small cheap European animation studio?

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

It definitely has a cheaper look to it compared to other shows of the time, like GTS. But I still think it looks fine. The story and characters make up for the slightly cheaper animation in my opinion. And the voice acting is pretty good too.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Love the King Kong films. Character is also my third favorite after Daggett from The Angry Beavers and a tie between Godzilla and Gamera. :D

This is how I'd rank the movies IMO.

1. Kong: Skull Island (2017)
2. King Kong (1933)
3. King Kong Escapes (1967)
4. King Kong (1976)
5. King Kong Lives (1986)
6. Son of Kong (1933)
7. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
8. King Kong (2005)

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Haven’t seen either of the main Kong sequels unfortunately. Otherwise I’d probably rank them like this:

1. King Kong (1933)
2. Kong Skull Island
3. King Kong vs. Godzilla
4. King Kong Escapes
5. King Kong (1976)
6. King Kong (2005)

Wow, that was actually a really hard ranking to make. If I did it again it would probably be all different.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

1- King Kong 33
2- King Kong Escapes
3- Son of Kong
4- King Kong vs Godzilla
5- Kong: Skull Island
6- King Kong 05

Not worthy of seventh place: King Kong 76
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^ Huh? None of you guys like the 05' Kong? Personally I thought that was the best Kong film outside of the original. A little excessive sure but its still top notch.

BTW Check out this new Kong figure from "Mezco Toys".

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

If we're rating Kong films now,

1. Kong: Skull Island
2. King Kong 2005
3. King Kong 1976
4.King Kong vs Godzilla
5. King Kong 1933

Haven't seen Son of, Escapes or Lives.

RIP Evan.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

I feel like we did this recently, but I'll give it a go again:

1.) Tie: King Kong (1933)/King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
3.) King Kong (1976)
4.) Tie: Son of Kong (1933)/King Kong Escapes (1967)
6.) Kong: Skull Island (2017)
7.) King Kong (2005)
8.) King Kong Lives (1986, although I haven't seen this one in so long, I'm not sure I can trust my memories of it)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
8.) King Kong Lives (1986, although I haven't seen this one in so long, I'm not sure I can trust my memories of it)
I haven't seen it in a while either, but the only aspect I like besides it being a rare new American take on Kong (being a sequel and kinda having a reimagining of Kong's son), was that Linda Hamilton was in it.

Oh, and what do you like about KK76 since it's pretty high on your list? I'm curious.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Oh, and what do you like about KK76 since it's pretty high on your list? I'm curious.
It's funny, there's some nice photography, it has some pretty good performances (maybe I'm just a sucker for Rene Auberjonois regardless of circumstances). I also have a nostalgic relationship with it, as it's the version that was constantly on TV in the 80s.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Oh, and what do you like about KK76 since it's pretty high on your list? I'm curious.
It's funny, there's some nice photography, it has some pretty good performances (maybe I'm just a sucker for Rene Auberjonois regardless of circumstances). I also have a nostalgic relationship with it, as it's the version that was constantly on TV in the 80s.
Well, you really can't go wrong with Rene Auberjonois...

I think (if I haven't already posting this to it already, and forgotten) that my list would have to go:

1. King Kong (1933)
2. Godzilla vs King Kong
3. Kong: Skull Island
4. King Kong Escapes
5. Son of Kong
6. King Kong 2005

I can't comment on either of the 70s films, as I have yet to see them.
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
Cool; ya nothing wrong with nostalgia.

My list:
1) King Kong 1933
2) King Kong 2005
3) King Kong vs Godzilla
4) King Kong Escapes
5) Kong: Skull Island
6) Son of Kong (its this low because of the ending...)
7) KK76
8) King Kong Lives
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

1.) Kong 33
2.) Kong Skull Island
3.) King Kong vs Godzilla
4.) Son of Kong
5.) Kong 05
6.) Kong Escapes
7.) Kong 76
8.) Kong Lives

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ Huh? None of you guys like the 05' Kong? Personally I thought that was the best Kong film outside of the original. A little excessive sure but its still top notch.
Neither of the remakes bring much to the table a viewer wouldn't get out of watching the original, and the original King Kong is so much more graceful in it's handling of the main character. That's my feeling on the subject.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ Huh? None of you guys like the 05' Kong? Personally I thought that was the best Kong film outside of the original. A little excessive sure but its still top notch.
I thought it was decent but flawed. It's still my least favorite Kong movie though. Beautifully shot, detailed and well designed but too long, lots of excess (Especially the V-Rex fight that went on for too long), overbloated with stuff that wasn't needed and scenes that dragged on or were boring.

I do respect that Jackson was passionate for the movie being the original is his favorite movie. Sometimes less is more and more is less. I don't mind long movies but if you're gonna do them you gotta pace them well and apparently King Kong (2005) wasn't among those.

Which is why I'll even take the 1976 King Kong and King Kong Lives over it. The 1976 movie isn't as long and Lives I can have lots of enjoyable dumb fun with.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:32 am, edited 3 times in total.