King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by Vakanai »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Image
Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you're talking to a wall. I get what you're saying, I just don't think it's as big of a deal as you do.
Is discussion only worthwhile if people end up agreeing?
No, discussion is fine even if we disagree.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall because you keep coming to the same points and haven't acknowledged anything I say.

Just skreeonk this whole thing.
I think I did acknowledge what you said - by saying that I don't think they would sue if someone stuck to the public domain stuff, and I didn't see a reason not to do a ice queen thing just because of Disney's Frozen. I mean, I don't have anything else to say about your points. And I only keep coming to the same points because I don't think that they've been successfully refuted. That's not me ignoring anything or being stubborn, just kind of a logical response if I think those points stand as the best argument still.

But if you don't feel that is a fine on my part and you're talking to a brick wall, I guess that's on you. But it feels kinda rude to me to say that about me when I honestly have been trying to debate honestly.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

And King Kong fought against Godzilla, but was heavily altered. I liked how they gave him electricity powers and made him Big G's size, BUT they made NO connection to the iconic 1933 film. Why didn't Kong live on Skull Island? Where's Ann Darrow? Carl Denham? They should've returned for King Kong vs Godzilla, since they know Kong well.
This. Unfortunately it looks like altering Kong is gonna get repeated, but that's a whole different topic in of itself but I do agree Kong characters should have appeared as well in KKvG, alongside Godzilla characters as well. Anyways I do like Kong. The "real" Kong as the OP puts it. The 1933 will always be a classic and the 70's remake will always be an amusing schlockfest, while the 05 Kong will also be an overlengthed and pretentious boring incarnation. The biggest disaster of 05 Kong is that they changed him from a unique humanoid creature to literally an oversized gorilla which took away his uniqueness. Kong should always be that unique humanoid that is "neither beast nor man."

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Omegazilla wrote:
And King Kong fought against Godzilla, but was heavily altered. I liked how they gave him electricity powers and made him Big G's size, BUT they made NO connection to the iconic 1933 film. Why didn't Kong live on Skull Island? Where's Ann Darrow? Carl Denham? They should've returned for King Kong vs Godzilla, since they know Kong well.
This. Unfortunately it looks like altering Kong is gonna get repeated, but that's a whole different topic in of itself but I do agree Kong characters should have appeared as well in KKvG, alongside Godzilla characters as well.
It took me a long time to find the post you quoted. I didn't think to look as far back as seven years.

Except for continuity that only hardcore fans would care about, why should characters from the 1933 film have returned for KKvG?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:
This. Unfortunately it looks like altering Kong is gonna get repeated, but that's a whole different topic in of itself but I do agree Kong characters should have appeared as well in KKvG, alongside Godzilla characters as well. Anyways I do like Kong. The "real" Kong as the OP puts it. The 1933 will always be a classic and the 70's remake will always be an amusing schlockfest, while the 05 Kong will also be an overlengthed and pretentious boring incarnation. The biggest disaster of 05 Kong is that they changed him from a unique humanoid creature to literally an oversized gorilla which took away his uniqueness. Kong should always be that unique humanoid that is "neither beast nor man."
I don't think that they're going to alter anything beyond his size. No lightning powers.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Terasawa wrote:
Omegazilla wrote:
This. Unfortunately it looks like altering Kong is gonna get repeated, but that's a whole different topic in of itself but I do agree Kong characters should have appeared as well in KKvG, alongside Godzilla characters as well.
It took me a long time to find the post you quoted. I didn't think to look as far back as seven years.

Except for continuity that only hardcore fans would care about, why should characters from the 1933 film have returned for KKvG?
It would be a nice touch. Not necessary obviously, but it would be interesting to have them, even if in a small role like Professor Yamane in Godzilla Raids Again.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Hey! Sorry to bump an old thread, but with Godzilla Vs. Kong set to release, I've been diving back into some old media featuring the two monsters, which includes the animated series starring them.

The Hanna Barbera Godzilla, the 90s Godzilla series, and Kong the Animated series are all pretty easy to find online.

However, I am having trouble tracking down the RankinBass/Toei animation series from the mid 60s "The King Kong Show". Online resources are spotty at best, with only a few episodes here and there and I found a Youtube channel with a good chunk of the episodes...but I can't seem to find the complete series. DVD releases are also limited to only a few episodes.

So my question is, is there an online resource that has the full series anywhere?

PS: I don't care about the Tom of THUMB shorts included with the series. Just the Kong shorts.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

GojiDog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 am Hey! Sorry to bump an old thread, but with Godzilla Vs. Kong set to release, I've been diving back into some old media featuring the two monsters, which includes the animated series starring them.

The Hanna Barbera Godzilla, the 90s Godzilla series, and Kong the Animated series are all pretty easy to find online.

However, I am having trouble tracking down the RankinBass/Toei animation series from the mid 60s "The King Kong Show". Online resources are spotty at best, with only a few episodes here and there and I found a Youtube channel with a good chunk of the episodes...but I can't seem to find the complete series. DVD releases are also limited to only a few episodes.

So my question is, is there an online resource that has the full series anywhere?

PS: I don't care about the Tom of THUMB shorts included with the series. Just the Kong shorts.
I think the 2000's Kong show has it's own YouTube account.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GojiDog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:02 am Hey! Sorry to bump an old thread, but with Godzilla Vs. Kong set to release, I've been diving back into some old media featuring the two monsters, which includes the animated series starring them.

Whatever you find online or on DVD is pretty much all there is that exists. The vast majority of it is lost.
https://lostmediawiki.com/The_King_Kong ... 1966-1969)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 am

Whatever you find online or on DVD is pretty much all there is that exists. The vast majority of it is lost.
Wow. They're lost?!

Does that mean Lost-Lost in that the footage doesn't exist anymore or lost in the sense that the show hasn't seen the light of day and the people that own it (I believe its ClassicMedia) have just got it tucked away somewhere?

Kill all white men.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GojiDog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:56 am
UltramanGoji wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:20 am

Wow. They're lost?!

Does that mean Lost-Lost in that the footage doesn't exist anymore or lost in the sense that the show hasn't seen the light of day and the people that own it (I believe its ClassicMedia) have just got it tucked away somewhere?
I'm assuming the latter, it's "lost media" in the sense that it's not available anywhere for purchase or public viewing. I don't think the original masters or anything are destroyed. So it's more "unreleased" than lost, I guess.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Just to reiterate Classic Media only released the first 8 episodes of Rankin/Bass' King Kong in 2 volumes, similar to how they only released the first season of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla in 3 volumes.

KING KONG Cartoon Series Guide

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

tbeasley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:29 pm Just to reiterate Classic Media only released the first 8 episodes of Rankin/Bass' King Kong in 2 volumes, similar to how they only released the first season of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla in 3 volumes.

Which is lame.

Seriously, both shows only have a little over 2 dozen episodes each. They could have easily released these shows in 1 volume each, two if they wanted to spread it out.

Stretching out season 1 of Godzilla, 13 episodes, to 3 separate DVD releases is ridiculous.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kill all white men.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I know this is a dream, but after the monsterverse Kong is done, I would like to see a new solo back to basics King Kong movie or steaming series. When I say back to basics, make him around 40-60 feet tall. Here are two ideas I thought of:

1. Prequel series going through the mythology of Kong and Skull island.

2. Kong on the run from humanity and traveling the world. The first movie or episodes of the show could be a remake of the classic tail (it can be a period piece or set in modern time) but have the Ann Darrow and Jack Driscolle characters of the story help save Kong and allow him to escape from the planes or helicopters off the empire state building. Sort of like the Incredible Hulk on the run from the military. You can have Kong exploring all kinds of settings. You can have Kong fight either government experimental monsters, find lost ancient cities and people with fantasy creatures. Heck at 50 foot tall, Kong doesn't just have to fight other monsters and military. You could have him say fight secret drug cartel gangs in small towns he encounters. Basic plot could be he's hiding outside a small town in the woods, some random thugs are about to rape a pretty woman, and then Kong saves her and some of the thugs survive and tell the leader of the cartel about Kong and they want to capture or kill Kong to make a fortune with the federal government. If planes and helicopters are a threat to Kong, then a crafty human crime boss with the right tools and weapons can also be a legitimate threat to Kong.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

GojiDog wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:49 pm
tbeasley wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:29 pm Just to reiterate Classic Media only released the first 8 episodes of Rankin/Bass' King Kong in 2 volumes, similar to how they only released the first season of Hanna-Barbera's Godzilla in 3 volumes.

Which is lame.

Seriously, both shows only have a little over 2 dozen episodes each. They could have easily released these shows in 1 volume each, two if they wanted to spread it out.

Stretching out season 1 of Godzilla, 13 episodes, to 3 separate DVD releases is ridiculous.
Yeah, I know, I'm still waiting for The King Kong Show: The Complete Animated Series.

And IIRC, Classic Media never got the rights to the second season of Godzilla in the first place. Neither did they get the rights to Jana of the Jungle, which was part of the first season's run.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I would really like to see an anthology series set on Skull Island with sort of a mix between the 33, 2005, and elements of Monsterverse thrown into it. Have it be set through the ages and maybe just maybe find a way to justify Vikings finding the island

Because that would be pretty fun

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

ROMG4 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:47 am Have it be set through the ages and maybe just maybe find a way to justify Vikings finding the island

Is this something that has to be justified? Vikings vs. Skull Island is a concept that can't be explored unless one can find a justification for it? This world gets more messed up every day.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

JAGzilla wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:26 pm
ROMG4 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:47 am Have it be set through the ages and maybe just maybe find a way to justify Vikings finding the island

Is this something that has to be justified? Vikings vs. Skull Island is a concept that can't be explored unless one can find a justification for it? This world gets more messed up every day.
You'd have to relocate the island entirely to the cold North Atlantic for it to even begin to work.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

...I mean, we already have an island of dinosaurs and giant apes, can we not suspend disbelief that little bit further and say it's an island that can teleport for no reason? :P Alternatively, we just have the island set in the Arctic to begin with, or most plausibly, this one longship just managed to make a particularly long and ambitious trip.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Funnily enough, the concept has been done before as as a special one shot of Boom! Comics Kong of Skull Island license

And for Jag and NSZ's question, they just kind of handwave it away as a lost expedition instead of going into the logistics.

RIP Evan.

gfan84
Samurai

A question about the original king kong

Post by gfan84 »

Here is something I have always wondered about king kong 1933. When Jack and Ann jump into the water from the vine on the cliff, was it really actress Fay wray in the water or was it a stunt double? If it really was her, does she have any behind the scenes stories about it or is there any pictures or whatnot.