King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by tbeasley »

Interesting writeup of the original -
Kim Morgan on King Kong

When casting his leading lady in the now immortal King Kong, director and producer Merian C. Cooper famously told Fay Wray: “You will have the tallest, darkest leading man in Hollywood.” Excited, she thought Cooper meant Clark Gable. Of course this tall dark stranger was not Clark Gable – he was something else entirely – but what a something else he was. And, indeed, he, this giant gorilla (lest you impossibly have no idea what I’m talking about) was truly the picture’s leading man – a damaged romantic, a rampaging id, a selfish, jealous lover, a violent innocent. All of those things that poured out of that tall, dark gorilla’s psyche, was at least a few things we could recognize in ourselves, at our most frightened and frightening state.

In King Kong, the only one we root for when it comes to survival and of protecting poor, beautiful Ann Darrow, (Wray), whom we also root for, is that 50 foot gorilla. That’s how it is for me anyway. And that’s part of the magic and power of Kong: we side, sometimes gleefully, full of righteous indignation, with the monster. Every man on the boat who journeyed Ann to that faraway island for entertainment and adventure (and food – the desperate woman was near-starving when discovered) can go on and race after Ann in the jungle or in the city, ward off creatures they never knew existed, risk life and limb for her. No matter. Pursuing the beauty nabbed for sacrifice, it is the misunderstood Kong who will not take his female offering to death, he loves her or wants to love her, and, perhaps this is wrong, but we are with him all the way. It’s primal and, in some cases, irrational, but within this fantasia, the only way we can possibly feel. We understand Ann’s terror and entrapment and yet… well, how do you make sense of any of this? You don’t. Until you see Kong again.
https://thenewbev.com/blog/2017/08/kim- ... king-kong/

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

That's a great quote. I find it baffling that there are people who compare the original to the Peter Jackson version and feel that Jackson enhanced the material by adding sympathy for Kong, when in my experiences audiences have always been sympathetic to Kong - Jackson just made it so heavy-handed that it feels too forced to elicit the genuine, natural emotion that the original evoked so organically.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

If anyone is interested Joe Devito just released 2 expanded editions to his King Kong of Skull Island book titled King Kong Skull Island: Exodus and King Kong Skull Island: The Wall
Last edited by The Octopus on Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Also, 34:20 what the skreoonk is that lip sync? Pretty sure you don't have to move your mouth that much to sing "SUUUUPREEEEEEME".
Last edited by Gigantis on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Tried to hard to be Disney. But man that show had such lame production values. It looked like an 80s cartoon.

Added in 3 days 9 hours 19 minutes 38 seconds:
If you guys are interested in hearing Luke Skywalker sing about King Kong's penis size. Well here you go.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I've avoided the animated Kong stuff like the plague.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

tyrantgoji wrote:https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Also, 34:20 what the skreoonk is that lip sync? Pretty sure you don't have to move your mouth that much to sing "SUUUUPREEEEEEME".
Excuse me, why are butt-ugly fireflies making a robe for King Kong while singing a bootleg Broadway number? Why are there musical numbers in Kong media other than the Australian stage-play?

What's even going on!?
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:https://youtu.be/4UXUuZ4uf-0?t=1942 This honestly might be the cringiest thing i have ever seen in my entire life. This entire series honestly but holy poop this musical number takes the cake

Excuse me, why are butt-ugly fireflies making a robe for King Kong while singing a bootleg Broadway number? Why are there musical numbers in Kong media other than the Australian stage-play?

What's even going on!?
Beats the crap outta me. :lol:

Worse, the musical numbers weren't even in the actual show! They just added it in to padden out the runtime!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Was this in the film?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Was this in the film?
Yes, it’s the monster that chases Ann for a bit before being eaten by the V. Rex.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Yes, it’s the monster that chases Ann for a bit before being eaten by the V. Rex.
The Foetodon? It looks a lot more crocodilian here than it does in the film, that's for sure.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
The Foetodon? It looks a lot more crocodilian here than it does in the film, that's for sure.
The Foetodon is a crocodile. Also, its a toy that's probably based on old concept art.

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

cloverfan98 wrote:I've avoided the animated Kong stuff like the plague.
I've always liked The King Kong Show. It was on weekday afternoons on one of the local UHF channels in PA (I don't remember if it was Channel 17, 29 or 48) along with a whole lot of other shows I also liked (Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons, George of the Jungle, The Milton the Monster Show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein...I could go on forever, but I'll stop here).

Too bad we only got those two OOP DVD releases of the pilot TV film and the first eight episodes of the show. I would've bought a complete series DVD release of it in a minute!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Say, does anyone remember the skit on The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour where Cher plays Ann Darrow being held in the palm of King Kong's hand and having conversations with him? Oh, those were funny!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

mikelcho wrote:
I've always liked The King Kong Show. It was on weekday afternoons on one of the local UHF channels in PA (I don't remember if it was Channel 17, 29 or 48) along with a whole lot of other shows I also liked (Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons George of the Jungle, The Milton the Monster Show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein...I could go on forever, but I'll stop here).

Too bad we only got those two OOP DVD releases of the pilot TV film and the first eight episodes of the show. I would've bought a complete series DVD release of it in a minute!
There was an Australian DVD with a good handful of episodes released by Madman. I hope to track down a copy of it someday.

Maybe the whole series could be put on Peacock, as it is now owned by NBCUniversal.
Friends don't lie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

John Pannozzi wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
I've always liked The King Kong Show. It was on weekday afternoons on one of the local UHF channels in PA (I don't remember if it was Channel 17, 29 or 48) along with a whole lot of other shows I also liked (Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons George of the Jungle, The Milton the Monster Show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein...I could go on forever, but I'll stop here).

There was an Australian DVD with a good handful of episodes released by Madman. I hope to track down a copy of it someday.

Maybe the whole series could be put on Peacock, as it is now owned by NBCUniversal.
That's good to know; the DVDs were released by Sony Wonder/Golden Books Family Entertainment.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

mikelcho wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:
mikelcho wrote:I've always liked The King Kong Show. It was on weekday afternoons on one of the local UHF channels in PA (I don't remember if it was Channel 17, 29 or 48) along with a whole lot of other shows I also liked (Ultraman, Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot, Speed Racer, Marine Boy, Captain Scarlet and the Mysterons George of the Jungle, The Milton the Monster Show, The Hilarious House of Frightenstein...I could go on forever, but I'll stop here).

That's good to know; the DVDs were released by Sony Wonder/Golden Books Family Entertainment.
Under license from Classic Media. Classic Media was bought by DreamWorks Animation in 2012; and then in 2016, DreamWorks Animation was bought by NBCUniversal/Comcast.
Friends don't lie.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

John Pannozzi wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
John Pannozzi wrote:

Under license from Classic Media. Classic Media was bought by DreamWorks Animation in 2012; and then in 2016, DreamWorks Animation was bought by NBCUniversal/Comcast.
Again, that's great to know; I forgot all about that.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I want a Kong that is a giant Orangutan
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I want a Kong that is a giant Orangutan
I feel that'd be best if another Japanese version is ever made.