King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by The Octopus »

Back in 1983 (to celebrate Kong's 50th anniversary) they put a giant inflatable Kong up on the ESB. This is from TIME magazine.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

That's awesome, thanks for sharing that!
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Imagine driving down the street and seeing this giant King Kong bust on the back of a flatbed truck?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Its the month of March which the 8th Wonder of the World came to be in the world of cinema and so like every year will be having my King Kong Marathon starting today.

And what better way then to start it off as always with the classic 1933 film. I much look forward to my marathon as I do every year. :D

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

It may not be King Kong but any chance you'll watch Gorilla The Conqueror? According to Homer Simpson its "The granddaddy of them all".

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

There's only three real monsters, kid: Dracula, Blacula and Son of Kong!

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Anyone know if this trade ever came out?

https://www.kaijubattle.net/other-kaiju ... licitation
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^Its been cancelled.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

Aww man, that’s a bummer.
"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Back in 1996 Eiji Tsuburaya's family worked with a publishing company to put out a book about Eiji's life and career called Eiji Tsuburaya: The Film Director Who Made Ultraman. It was done in a manga style but published in hardcover. There was a section talking about Eiji seeing King Kong at the cinema and how it changed his life. He studied Willis O'Brien's film and decided to pursue a career in special effects hoping one day to make his own giant monster movie.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I love pulling the thread of influence. Obie inspired so many who then turned around to inspire many more after. As Ray Harryhausen put it, “That’s why the way the snowball goes.” I know Kong inspired Tsuburaya, but Beast from 20,000 Fathoms had a big influence as well.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Mr. Yellow wrote:I love pulling the thread of influence. Obie inspired so many who then turned around to inspire many more after. As Ray Harryhausen put it, “That’s why the way the snowball goes.” I know Kong inspired Tsuburaya, but Beast from 20,000 Fathoms had a big influence as well.
Makes me sad that Ray hated the Godzilla films because Tsuburaya was just like him. A kindred spirit who was also influenced by Obie.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

I think he just didn’t get the appeal of the man in the suit. I’m not sure he hated it, after all the tokusatsu effects were more practical than CGI and he didn’t berate that. I can appreciate it all.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?
Willis O'Brien
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:*reads recent posts*
Who's Obie?
Willis O'Brien
See, I would have recognized that name! Nicknames, bah!
Thank you! :)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Not to sound like a shill but I Just picked up this great book

If you guys are remotely interested in lost King Kong films you'll enjoy the book. For me personally I never knew they planned an Abbot and Costello Meet King Kong movie.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I actually have heard of that movie.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:Not to sound like a shill but I Just picked up this great book

If you guys are remotely interested in lost King Kong films you'll enjoy the book. For me personally I never knew they planned an Abbot and Costello Meet King Kong movie.
I've got to pick this book up and see if he mentions King Kong Meets Frankenstein.
I'll bet he does and even has pictures of the art (hopefully all of them) and a copy of the screenplay treatment (or at least a synopsis of the plot)!
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

^No screenplay treatment but it has black and white scans of most of the art.