The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 12 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
30
17%
Aliens (1986)
32
19%
Predator (1987)
30
17%
Predator 2 (1990)
21
12%
Alien³ (1992)
12
7%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
3
2%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
16
9%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
3
2%
Predators (2010)
17
10%
Prometheus (2012)
4
2%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3
2%
The Predator (2018)
1
1%
 
Total votes: 172

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:46 am

Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.


At this point I don't think I want a live action Terminator vs Robocop anymore.
Image

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4012
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry, I couldn't type that with a straight face.
Image

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.


fanofstuff wrote:You mean to tell me that you don't see two crabs and think "Yeah, combined they can take on God"?

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7389
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:34 pm

Living Corpse wrote:
Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.


At this point I don't think I want a live action Terminator vs Robocop anymore.


I've often held this belief that if Arnold didn't enter politics and quit acting during the early 2000s, there would have been a RoboCop vs Terminator. After Freddy vs Jason, and AVP, seemed like the logical thing to do.

Perhaps in an alternate 2005 or 2006, there was such a film.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
Living Corpse
Sazer
Posts: 12128
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:34 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry, I couldn't type that with a straight face.



*head desk*

Please just let the franchises I grew up with die with some dignity.
Image

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10929
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:35 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry, I couldn't type that with a straight face.

*Cringes*

Kill me... -_-
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Vakanai
G-Grasper
Posts: 1395
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Vakanai » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.

Nah, I don't believe any franchise is ever dead, they just need one genuinely good film again - whether they'll ever get such a good film again is another question.

Added in 2 minutes 2 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Don't worry, now that Disney's in charge they won't milk them for HAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

Sorry, I couldn't type that with a straight face.



*head desk*

Please just let the franchises I grew up with die with some dignity.

There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10929
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:44 pm

Vakanai wrote:There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.

When it comes to stupidity enduring in a film like The Predator (2018) there is.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:51 pm

Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film, there's a vast universe of content to pick and choose from. Predators 2010 was a solid film, wish we'd get a sequel to that. At least in context a Super Predator/ Predator with 4 arms would make sense.

I know I make it sound like it's easy peesy, it's hard of course, filmmaking always is, but at the end of the day, don't tell me you can't come up with a better idea than "Predator, but then he's killed by a super predator who preys on little autistic boys"
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
eabaker
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12282
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby eabaker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:53 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film


It is literally never easy to write a good film of any kind. The reason that 90% of everything is crap isn't because creators are lazy; it's because creating art and entertainment is perpetually an up-hill battle.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7009
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby _JNavs_ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:54 pm

eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film


It is literally never easy to write a good film of any kind. The reason that 90% of everything is crap isn't because creators are lazy; it's because creating art and entertainment is perpetually an up-hill battle.

Yeah I reworded what I said a bit better. (I think)

Filmmaking is a difficult process, but the ideas are there, and normally a writer's room can toss out the ridiculous ideas. I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Sith Apprentice. The Tegu King. We Are Legion.

User avatar
eabaker
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 12282
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby eabaker » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:57 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
eabaker wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Its very easy to write a good Predator/Robocop/Terminator/Alien film


It is literally never easy to write a good film of any kind. The reason that 90% of everything is crap isn't because creators are lazy; it's because creating art and entertainment is perpetually an up-hill battle.

Yeah I reworded what I said a bit better. (I think)

Filmmaking is a difficult process, but the ideas are there, and normally a writer's room can toss out the ridiculous ideas. I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.


Definitely made your point clearer!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer
Posts: 10929
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:58 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.

Because the Shane Black is an idiot and he also hired idiots to write the script and produce the movie.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My rules:

1. If I start getting carried away, I simply just log off and come back later.
2. Think before I suddenly post.
3. Try not to post image only posts even if they're just for fun and jokes.

User avatar
Vakanai
G-Grasper
Posts: 1395
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:27 am

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Vakanai » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:29 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Vakanai wrote:There's no dignity in going away or dying for a franchise - just ignore the new stuff until something good comes along again.

When it comes to stupidity enduring in a film like The Predator (2018) there is.

Not really - again, ignoring the crappy films while you wait for something worthwhile is an option. The franchise can always survive and be there when someone right comes along later, until then what does it hurt to just ignore the clunkers? They can't undo the original superior films and the fact you saw them done right.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

User avatar
The One and Only
Futurian
Posts: 3175
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby The One and Only » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:54 pm

NECA presents their 100th Pred release. The Ultimate Alpha Predator. Which utilizes a mask design based on the original Predator suit design that Jean Claude Van Damme sported in the first flick. But abandoned for the one we all know ,and love today.
Image
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3601227/necas-alpha-predator-figure-includes-mask-based-unused-mask-based-unused-jean-claude-van-damme-costume/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

User avatar
Gigantis
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 6633
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:52 pm
Location: Nebula of the Orion

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Gigantis » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm

^Ah. That's cool, i guess..

I feel no excitement for anything Alien or Predator related anymore, that's why that came out so weak.
Image

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

User avatar
KManX89
Gotengo Officer
Posts: 1512
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:35 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby KManX89 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:48 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I have no clue how they strayed so far with The Predator 2018.

Because the Shane Black is an idiot and he also hired idiots to write the script and produce the movie.


It didn't help that he hired an actual predator (pedophile) to star in the film.

No seriously, he did.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

User avatar
miguelnuva
Sazer
Posts: 13305
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby miguelnuva » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:59 pm

I guess because my bar was so low but I still liked The Predator 2018. Wasn't anywhere near the other films but I enjoyed it for what it was.

I think we'll see Alien and Predator eventually from Disney as the films can still make money with the right team behind them.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can put it on my Tombstone Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira
my personal take

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Xilien Halfling
Posts: 7389
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:36 am

The One and Only wrote:NECA presents their 100th Pred release. The Ultimate Alpha Predator. Which utilizes a mask design based on the original Predator suit design that Jean Claude Van Damme sported in the first flick. But abandoned for the one we all know ,and love today.
Image
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3601227/necas-alpha-predator-figure-includes-mask-based-unused-mask-based-unused-jean-claude-van-damme-costume/


It's definitely very cool. But Jesus H Mother skreeonking Christ, where is the goddamn Wolf Predator?!?! They've had that skreeonker completed since 2017!
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
The One and Only
Futurian
Posts: 3175
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby The One and Only » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:11 pm

Image
Dark Horse announced that May will bring us an adaptation the original draft of the classic [color=#00BF40]PREDATOR'S[/color] script by John and James Thomas.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3605672/dark-horse-turning-original-predator-screenplay-comic-series/
Likewise Dan O'Bannon's original screenplay to the first ALIEN will also be seeing from Dark Horse an adaptation to the four color page.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/comics/3601129/new-comic-series-dark-horse-will-adapt-dan-obannons-original-screenplay/
Image
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5487
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Wow, that's super cool! Very intriguing too.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.


Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest