The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Nothing beats my girl the Queen!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

C. The Queen is still a marvel to behold thirty years ,and change later. I still get chills during her unveiling in Cameron's flick.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

tbeasley wrote:Well. Anyway.

Something more fun - who's your favorite?
I'm gonna go with D followed extremely closely by A.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

A. Nothing tops the original. The design and the direction and editing of the movie create an uncanny aspect that none of the sequels come close to matching.

D. and F. get high marks as well, revising the basic design but maintaining its elegant simplicity and its slightly goopy physicality.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The One and Only wrote:C. The Queen is still a marvel to behold thirty years ,and change later. I still get chills during her unveiling in Cameron's flick.

Agreed. C is my favorite. And for the looks of the Xenomorph itself, D based on these pics- but with a better camera angle, I feel like B and A would both surpass it.

Added in 1 minute 17 seconds:
eabaker wrote:

A. Nothing tops the original. The design and the direction and editing of the movie create an uncanny aspect that none of the sequels come close to matching.

D. and F. get high marks as well, revising the basic design but maintaining its elegant simplicity and its slightly goopy physicality.
Except when it's a skinny guy in a black leotard getting hosed by water jets at the end. :) I always felt like that final sequence somewhat ruins the mystique for me; it shows too much, and from a not-great angle, on a background that is far too contrasty. It's the one thing I feel like is a legitimate flaw in the film; the one thing I wish they'd maybe reshot after viewing the rough cut.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The original Big Chap is my favorite, but I will say the main xeno design in the 2010 AVP game is a close second. The Queen deserves her own category, but I don't feel like getting real picky with all the castes and variations :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

A is my favorite. I actually like AR's xenos too.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:The original Big Chap is my favorite, but I will say the main xeno design in the 2010 AVP game is a close second. The Queen deserves her own category, but I don't feel like getting real picky with all the castes and variations :lol:
I really liked the Hag Queen's design in that game.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

My thoughts, or rather a ramble -
Big Chap - Giger's masterpiece, no doubt
Aliens Warrior - These have grown on me a lot more over time - yeah they changed the head and hands but it still the remains the most faithful to Giger's beast - the way Cameron was able to make a few suits seem like a horde is remarkable
Aliens Queen - Winston's other masterpiece, tied with the JP T. rex
Dog Alien - The only design from ADI that really works for me considering how much it refers to Giger's own redesign, which I like quite a bit, even with the Wolverine claws and meat cleaver tail

This goes on more of a tangent, but from the moment I saw the Covenant Neo and Xeno designs they seemed like better, more elegant versions of the designs seen in Resurrection - the Neo is eerily human in ways the Newborn is not and the Xeno suggests human anatomy in a way the Res warriors should have considering they are partial human clones - instead they are rubbery, floppy dumbasses. And the less said about the AVP films the better.

Oh, and as for the Deacon - I can buy into it as a small, diminutive imp-like Alien but basically everything done with the younger Neo forms improved on this idea bigtime.
Last edited by tbeasley on Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

2004Zilla wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:The original Big Chap is my favorite, but I will say the main xeno design in the 2010 AVP game is a close second. The Queen deserves her own category, but I don't feel like getting real picky with all the castes and variations :lol:
I really liked the Hag Queen's design in that game.
Me too, I loved how she had an old, wise look.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

ALIEN:Isolation will be airing today from IGN and 20th Century Fox on YouTube at Noon e.s.t. The digitally animated series will be split into ten parts, and use the cut scenes of the video game of the same name. It'll feature new material to expand the tale of Ellen Ripley's daughter, Amanda, fifteen years after her mother and the Nostromo disappeared, and Amanda's search for her mother. And what horror she'll find on the search.
Der Trailer.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

What is it with the outright refusal to make a sequel to Isolation?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Birdman wrote:What is it with the outright refusal to make a sequel to Isolation?
because Fox knows they're never gonna be able to compete with it and dont want to touch it?

Added in 54 seconds:
and this is coming from someone who liked Covenant

RIP Evan.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Allegedly Fox is considering a sequel to Isolation.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

gvamp wrote:Allegedly Fox is considering a sequel to Isolation.
Good. Games and comics they can continue but please just no more movies at this point...

For once Fox is actually being smart.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Don't get your hopes up. Alien belongs to Disney now. All video game licenses will be given exclusively to EA.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Don't get your hopes up. Alien belongs to Disney now. All video game licenses will be given exclusively to EA.
Crap how did I even forget. :evil:

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Don't get your hopes up. Alien belongs to Disney now. All video game licenses will be given exclusively to EA.
Cold Iron Studios is still developing that online Aliens game so I don't think that's the case right now.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Can't wait for my loot-box Alien game. :P