The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by ROMG4 »

KillCrites wrote:Unpopular opinion but I love the prequels and what they brought to the Alien universe, especially Covenant. Honestly, the only Alien movies I find BAD are Resurrection and the AVP duology.

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

ROMG4 wrote:
KillCrites wrote:Unpopular opinion but I love the prequels and what they brought to the Alien universe, especially Covenant. Honestly, the only Alien movies I find BAD are Resurrection and the AVP duology.
And Alien 3 The Assembly Cut is superior to Aliens in almost every way. :lol:
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I saw a compilation of clips from The Predator, and there were two scenes that stood out to me with the Fugitive Predator.

One scene was the Fugitive Predator attacking an armored truck and killing the soldiers in the back, the driver hears the commotion, and asks if everything is ok. The Predator then takes a severed arm, and arranges the fingers to give a thumbs up, and slides the arm to the front where the driver is. I thought that was kinda funny, and an interesting interaction with a human and Predator.

Another scene was the Fugitive Predator taking a member of the main cast hostage in front of the other characters, the whole squad points their weapons at him, the Predator then dabs his finger to the ground, signaling the others to drop their weapons. Another interaction I liked. It's cool when filmmakers show humans and Predators communicating with one another.
Last edited by Maverick Centigrade on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

The Predator Holiday special teaser: https://youtu.be/eDUP3gtKvhE

Alrighty then.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:The Predator Holiday special teaser: https://youtu.be/eDUP3gtKvhE

Alrighty then.
That video alone was millions of times better then what was the crapfest known as The Predator (2018). I guarantee the same with that short as well being millions of times better.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Remember when both these franchises were awesome & hadn't been
destroyed by horrible films with terrible, "retconning" screenplays?

I do...

Ugh...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

1991, before a Queen Egg was retconned aboard the Sulaco? ;)

Yeah, both franchises have fallen on hard times. But then, that seems to be the story for a lot of different franchises these days...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I really hope no more Alien and Predator films get made. They both need to die especially Predator considering the latest movie which was such a joke...-_-

And the prequel Alien movies were just so unnecessary. Not EVERYTHING needs to be demystified. That's what made the xenomorphs so scary to begin with. Not knowing the unknown.

As with other horror franchises like Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. There's nothing more they can do with them that's new. Just watch the classics instead. Hollywood needs to leave nostalgia alone or stop remaking it because its only a matter of time until we get an inevitable Jaws remake.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Well, I thought A3 was great - that's coming from a guy that's only seen the standard cut.

Are you guys excited for the new Alien game, Alien: Blackout? It's from a smaller studio but I hope it delivers.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Are you guys excited for the new Alien game, Alien: Blackout? It's from a smaller studio but I hope it delivers.
Games and comics should be the only form of continuing the Alien and Predator franchises. Movies though otherwise needs to stay dead.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

So I'm copy and pasting this post from AVPGALAXY. I made it back in June, my ideas on making a brand new Predator game. I just wanted to know what you guys thought.
So yesterday I took a survey for Square Enix I found over on /v/ (4chan). At the end they asked what type of game would I like to see them make, I suggested Predator. So then I started to thinking more about the idea. What should a triple A Predator game be like? So let's share some ideas, see what we can come up with.

Personally I think we should go with a 3rd person action game, with mixes of shooter, and hack n slash gameplay. Another idea is customization of our Predator character, going from the physical appearance, to even a class/ranking system.

For physical appearance, there can be the skin color of course, height, muscle mass, all within acceptable parameters. Then we can move on to eye color, mandibles, dreadlock length and jewelery.

Next up would be armor, borrowing stuff from the movies, comics, and original designs. There's tons of opportunity here. Hell why not add in a feature that would allow us to create our own biomask?

The next topic is setting and map size. What do you prefer? Should a Predator game be set on Earth in the present day? Or the future? Where should the game be set anyway, cities or jungles?

I'm in favor of an open world approach, huge maps, with tons to do. However instead of being set on Earth, how about a developing Earth like planet? That way we could hunt more than humans, there could be tons more alien creatures to collect.

So these are my ideas, what about yours? Share em.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

That all sounds nice, but I don't know. The Alien and Predator video games tend to do well when they're most directly channeling the feel of their films. Alien: Isolation re-creates the feel and tension of the original Alien SO well. Predator: Concrete Jungle you felt like a Predator in the city.

I think those are definitely interesting concepts but what would the goal be? Not snark. Curious. Are we talking a glorified space hunter simulator? What about other Predators in the universe? And the lore? Would it fit in the film canon? Would their be Xenos?

I personally think it would be really fun to do a horror survival game against the Predator, though then it's basically just a carbon copy of Alien: Isolation.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Maritonic wrote:I personally think it would be really fun to do a horror survival game against the Predator, though then it's basically just a carbon copy of Alien: Isolation.
I had the same idea, only mine was for a Dead by Daylight/Friday The 13th style game where you can play as either a platoon of soldiers/cops/other warriors or the Predator. Thought that could be fun.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I personally think it would be really fun to do a horror survival game against the Predator, though then it's basically just a carbon copy of Alien: Isolation.
I had the same idea, only mine was for a Dead by Daylight/Friday The 13th style game where you can play as either a platoon of soldiers/cops/other warriors or the Predator. Thought that could be fun.
As someone who's been playing Friday the 13th since launch, and Dead By Daylight for like 2 years, I can't BELIEVE I didn't think of this.

THIS is a good goddamn idea. A DAMN good idea.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I'd buy it. :D

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Thanks, guys. :D

Speaking of Isolation, are some console versions better then others? Asking because I found the Xbox One version for $20 dollars on Amazon and want to know if there's a reason for that price before I buy.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Thanks, guys. :D

Speaking of Isolation, are some console versions better then others? Asking because I found the Xbox One version for $20 dollars on Amazon and want to know if there's a reason for that price before I buy.
Not that I'm aware of. I had it on both PS3 and now currently PS4. Aside from the graphics difference there, no real difference.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Are you guys excited for the new Alien game, Alien: Blackout? It's from a smaller studio but I hope it delivers.
Games and comics should be the only form of continuing the Alien and Predator franchises. Movies though otherwise needs to stay dead.
I will say that games and comics can expand more on certain things moreso than a film, but I still believe a good solo story for each creature or an AVP film can still be made by someone who understands them. Like for instance, that fanfilm from a while back, Predator: Dark Ages was pretty good. Who knows what filmmaker and storyteller comes along with the "right" vison.

Actually...... this might sound crazy but what about an animated rated-R 100ish minute Predator film? I don't care what animation style, but maybe it could be a safer way of releasing Predator films while exploring new ideas that aren't half assed. Or doing a Predator game that doesn't have clunky gameplay, especially since we should take the honor code into consideration.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I still love Predator Concrete Jungle. Of all the Pred games it's the one where I feel most "Predator" like. The stalking missions combined with the all out action missions are a good mix. Plus I love the different costumes
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
I will say that games and comics can expand more on certain things moreso than a film, but I still believe a good solo story for each creature or an AVP film can still be made by someone who understands them. Like for instance, that fanfilm from a while back, Predator: Dark Ages was pretty good. Who knows what filmmaker and storyteller comes along with the "right" vison.

Actually...... this might sound crazy but what about an animated rated-R 100ish minute Predator film? I don't care what animation style, but maybe it could be a safer way of releasing Predator films while exploring new ideas that aren't half assed. Or doing a Predator game that doesn't have clunky gameplay, especially since we should take the honor code into consideration.
I still think we have a Predator film that goes back in time. We know, from Predator 2, that they've been coming to Earth before Arnold met his Predator. I would love to see a Feudal Japan set Predator, or a Vietnam set Predator. They're drawn to heat and conflict. Hell. An Iraq War set Predator, for gods sake.

Added in 6 minutes 45 seconds:
Godzilla21 wrote:I still love Predator Concrete Jungle. Of all the Pred games it's the one where I feel most "Predator" like. The stalking missions combined with the all out action missions are a good mix. Plus I love the different costumes
Definitely. Replayed it a bunch of times. I had a lot of fun playing Concrete Jungle.