The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by _JNavs_ »

Would be funny to see how Mr.Fantastic deals with a chestburster inside of him. Or what if a Xeno outbreak occurred in the X-Mansion. Would there just be a bunch of Xenomorph mutants.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Imagine an Hulk xenomorph. :shock:

Given Hulk's regeneration, he'd survive the chestbursting.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Chrispy_G wrote:Yep, so many fools praised Disney beating Universal in the bidding war for Fox(I honestly think Uni was more interested in making Disney over-spend)

Because "yay all of Star Wars and now virtually all of Marvel cleanly and simply under one roof!" That made the ENTIRE 70+ Billion purchase worth it to them...so that they can get a 9 film Skywalker Saga Box Set, and see Captain Marvel upstage Wolverine in like 5 years.

Not giving any thought to material like Simpsons, Family Guy, Planet of the Apes, Alien, Predator and countless others all being absorbed into the Disney blob.

All of them doomed to be buried, censored, or otherwise 'rebooted' in the image of the new Disney Overlords....basically destroying them and turning them into "IP based nostalgic cash-flow product #12"

Disney trying to put everything into that 'magic for all ages' filter just does not work. Universal would have been a much better home for the vast majority of these properties.
My thoughts exactly. No one really seemed to care when Disney was restricting independent theaters from showing classic Fox films either. But hey so long as Wolverine can meet Thor or whatever they couldn't give a shit. Fucking MCU ruined a whole generation of film.
Resized Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Holy shit, nobody in this thread has any idea what that announcement was about.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:skreeonking MCU ruined a whole generation of film.
Doctor Strange IMO was probably the last good MCU film IMO. Bias wise it'd be Guardians 2. After that each film started to get worst (I'm in the minority that hated Ragnarok).

What killed it for me was its the formula they stuck to and every film essentially feeling the same killing any excitement I could have knowing how it'd be. That's also not getting into the humor they keep doing. When the MCU began it had an fine balance but post-Guardians I notice how they began to increase it 10 fold seeming like they supposed given Guardians success that it could work for any MCU film. It only worked with Guardians because of its campy nature and style.

Avengers: Endgame, an movie with an dark premise with 50% of all life gone resorting to dumb humor like fat Thor (Because yep its funny to poke fun at depression and PTSD), Hulk taking selfies, "So he's an idiot" and Fortnite and also how they just kill Thanos off in the first 15 minutes replacing him with his past self. Also for 11 years and 22 build up of movies you'd expect better because it came across being more like an superhero soap opera then anything that barely had any action until the 3rd act and climax. I'm also not saying an dark film has to be humorless, every form of any movie needs it to feel realistic, just do it right like how pre-Guardians MCU was.

Really the only reason these films continue to be big blockbuster hits is due to the MCU label at this point and Disney being involved otherwise the GA would be looking the other way.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Marvel gives us something as good as Dark Horse's Fire and Stone series, or hell, Dead Orbit and I'll give them praise. Keep the silly superhero crossover stuff to one shots, please.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:Keep the silly superhero crossover stuff to one shots, please.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

UltramanGoji wrote:Holy poop, nobody in this thread has any idea what that announcement was about.
I'm sure 90% was sarcasm that turned into actual what-if scenarios.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Imagine an Hulk xenomorph. :shock:
You don't have to imagine:

https://www.deviantart.com/liquid-venom ... K-43476174

And however this all turns out, one Marvel location that would be most appropriate for the Yautjas to make their hunting grounds would be The Savage Land.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:skreeonking MCU ruined a whole generation of film.
Doctor Strange IMO was probably the last good MCU film IMO. Bias wise it'd be Guardians 2. After that each film started to get worst (I'm in the minority that hated Ragnarok).

What killed it for me was its the formula they stuck to and every film essentially feeling the same killing any excitement I could have knowing how it'd be. That's also not getting into the humor they keep doing. When the MCU began it had an fine balance but post-Guardians I notice how they began to increase it 10 fold seeming like they supposed given Guardians success that it could work for any MCU film. It only worked with Guardians because of its campy nature and style.

Avengers: Endgame, an movie with an dark premise with 50% of all life gone resorting to dumb humor like fat Thor (Because yep its funny to poke fun at depression and PTSD), Hulk taking selfies, "So he's an idiot" and Fortnite and also how they just kill Thanos off in the first 15 minutes replacing him with his past self. Also for 11 years and 22 build up of movies you'd expect better because it came across being more like an superhero soap opera then anything that barely had any action until the 3rd act and climax. I'm also not saying an dark film has to be humorless, every form of any movie needs it to feel realistic, just do it right like how pre-Guardians MCU was.

Really the only reason these films continue to be big blockbuster hits is due to the MCU label at this point and Disney being involved otherwise the GA would be looking the other way.
Yeah, not to get TOO far of topic, but it was after Doctor Strange that I was like "Yeah I'm kinda not really into all of this as much any more"...when they went to 3 films a year, the quality dropped. Guardians 2 dropped from Guardians in the same way that Avengers 2, Thor 2, and Iron Man 2 all declined from their originals. GOTG2 didn't drop AS BADLY as those entries, but it wasn't as good as the first.

Meanwhile, Homecoming and Ragnarok were WAY too comedic. With Ragnarok, it literally felt like they stopped being 'blockbusters with a lot of humor' and felt like they were just making Rush Hour in space.

Also....Black Panther, Ant-Man and the Wasp, and Captain Marvel should have all been saved for Post-Endgame. Phase 3 should not have been about expanding that far outward as they reached the conclusion.

Again, when they went to 3 films a year, the scripts AND the CGI started to seriously suffer. You can tell they were doing the 'make the release date and meet the schedule no matter what' thing a bit too hard, and that pinched pre-production and post-production. Weaker scripts, weaker CGI, weaker editing.

The entire thing feels like largely a not-so-great investment, as each Phase basically has 2-3 truly great and worthwhile entries. Iron Man, The Avengers, Guardians 1, Cap 2, Cap 3, Infinity War, Endgame.

And yes, Endgame has a lot of issues that largely stem from the fact that it seems like they HAD to do the time travel to set-up spin-offs and have a ton of retread nostalgic scenes from past films and re-visited characters and etc. I agree that it ultimately hurts that they are fighting "Thanos 2" in Endgame and that they went through weird loops to have a "Gamora 2" available for the next Guardians film.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

So I've been kind of holding off on my thoughts of Alien and Predator moving to Disney. With Marvel being announced as their new comic home, I guess this is as good time as any. First and foremost, the idea of the films getting locked away in the vault is utter BS. Yes, it did make me go out and quickly upgrade my old DVDs to Blu-Ray before that happens. But I really dislike the idea of them being taken off of movie shelves for years on end. That is my biggest issue with Disney aquiring these franchises. But in the long run... I think these two properties going to Disney may be for the better.

The move to Marvel just makes sense and whoever didn't see this coming is blind. Yes, Dark Horse has done a phenomenal job with both franchises and even kick started the whole crossover series. But in the end, its always the crossovers that do the best. In the three decades, we've seen the Aliens and Predators take on Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and... The Terminator. The AvPvT tri-crossover is, at best, left forgotten. Now, however, we seen some real badass crossovers. Predator going after any of the Avengers. The Aliens mixing it up with Marvel Zombies. Hell, the idea of Deadpool vs. either of these properties makes my mouth water.

Now I'm not discrediting the Dark Horse comics at all, mainly because I never really got too much into the comics as much as I wanted. Yes, I really want to eventually check out the Bad Blood comic run and some of the AvP titles, but I think Marvel will do these characters a lot more justice when it comes to pitting them against other properties. The only one I'm kind of sad we'll probably never see now is Aliens/Predator vs. Army of Darkness, something I am surprised we didn't see with their Dark Horse run. And, of course, I imagine we'll see plenty of AvP stuff from Marvel as well.

Now for the films... I'm a bit more iffy. I'm curious to see how Disney handles these franchises. At worst, I hope we see a good AvP film set in outer space, either on a ship or a colony planet. Surely, whatever they do decide to do, it can't be worse than The Predator and Cameron's self-masturbation of making prequels to explain what should have been a fairly easy origin for the Xenomorphs - They're either a natural organism or a bio-weapon produced by an alien race that went amok.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I'm kinda indifferent about Alien and Predator moving to Marvel Comics. Alien and Predator have been treated well in comic format for years. It's the movies that are in such bad shape. Someone get to work on that please.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

It occurred to me that another Marvel location that would be a perfect/appropriate Predator hunting ground (and not lead to any overly one sided fights) would be Wakanda.
Last edited by Leviarex on Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Leviarex wrote:It occurred to me that another Marvel location that would be a perfect/appropriate Predator hunting ground (and not lead to any overly one sided fights) would be Wakanda.
Savage Land: Am I a joke to you?

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Leviarex wrote:It occurred to me that another Marvel location that would be a perfect/appropriate Predator hunting ground (and not lead to any overly one sided fights) would be Wakanda.
Savage Land: Am I a joke to you?
If you scroll back up, you'll see I already mentioned The Savage Land.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Leviarex wrote:If you scroll back up, you'll see I already mentioned The Savage Land.
Yeah I apparently didn't see that.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Also, something I think EVERYONE is forgetting about with Alien and Predator moving on over to Marvel... It's much easier to just put it in pictures:

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

The fact not even FOX made that official when they still existed still baffles me.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

As much as i voiced my disliked for any Marvel V A V P content, since they're completely different tone-wise.

Star Wars and A/P fit right in with each other. Some reworking with the lore and it'd work perfectly. Hell for all we know Aliens and Predators existed a long time ago in a galaxy far, far, away.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Mac Daddy MM wrote:So I've been kind of holding off on my thoughts of Alien and Predator moving to Disney. With Marvel being announced as their new comic home, I guess this is as good time as any. First and foremost, the idea of the films getting locked away in the vault is utter BS. Yes, it did make me go out and quickly upgrade my old DVDs to Blu-Ray before that happens. But I really dislike the idea of them being taken off of movie shelves for years on end. That is my biggest issue with Disney aquiring these franchises. But in the long run... I think these two properties going to Disney may be for the better.

The move to Marvel just makes sense and whoever didn't see this coming is blind. Yes, Dark Horse has done a phenomenal job with both franchises and even kick started the whole crossover series. But in the end, its always the crossovers that do the best. In the three decades, we've seen the Aliens and Predators take on Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and... The Terminator. The AvPvT tri-crossover is, at best, left forgotten. Now, however, we seen some real badass crossovers. Predator going after any of the Avengers. The Aliens mixing it up with Marvel Zombies. Hell, the idea of Deadpool vs. either of these properties makes my mouth water.

Now I'm not discrediting the Dark Horse comics at all, mainly because I never really got too much into the comics as much as I wanted. Yes, I really want to eventually check out the Bad Blood comic run and some of the AvP titles, but I think Marvel will do these characters a lot more justice when it comes to pitting them against other properties. The only one I'm kind of sad we'll probably never see now is Aliens/Predator vs. Army of Darkness, something I am surprised we didn't see with their Dark Horse run. And, of course, I imagine we'll see plenty of AvP stuff from Marvel as well.

Now for the films... I'm a bit more iffy. I'm curious to see how Disney handles these franchises. At worst, I hope we see a good AvP film set in outer space, either on a ship or a colony planet. Surely, whatever they do decide to do, it can't be worse than The Predator and Cameron's self-masturbation of making prequels to explain what should have been a fairly easy origin for the Xenomorphs - They're either a natural organism or a bio-weapon produced by an alien race that went amok.
Don't you mean Ridley Scott MM?

I agree with you on everything you said I was really hoping we'd get a nice 4K set of all the alien movies along with Prometheus and Alien Covenant but it looks like that won't happen now at least for a bit. But then again Disney has been doing a good job with getting Legacy stuff out on 4K.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.