The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

The One and Only
Futurian

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2012)

Post by The One and Only »

PREDATOR edited with the sounds of NES game ,CONTRA.

ALIENS with the sound effects of the classic NES game, METROID.

"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Birdman wrote:it's a sequel, considering one of the actors is playing the son of one of the characters from Predator 2.
Yeah, and apparently it's still set before the events of Predators, but (obviously) after Predator 2. So it's an actual sequel to P2, whereas the last film was a sequel to both, but didn't acknowledge P2 at all.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Promo poster for The Predator:

Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^That is so epic!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Very stylish and original, I love it :)

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Motion poster to THE PREDATOR.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

SickleFeather
Samurai

Post by SickleFeather »

PREDATOR writers reveal early ideas for PREDATOR 2, one idea was set during the Battle of the Bulge during the Second World War!
http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3469 ... ld-war-ii/
"So ends the human race! The future is built upon the past, but your kind shall never see it! Your mother and father are dead, tiny one. And now, it is your turn...TO DIE!" - Grima, Fire Emblem Awakening

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Well.....early screenings of Predator 4 seem to be mixed. This seems like the Shin Godzilla of the Predator franchise in terms of the fanbase :lol:
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I would be extremely happy if Predator 4 came anywhere near as close as to the quality of Shin Godzilla. I'm terrified this film is going to focus on the kid or have him somehow kill the Predator in the most contrived way.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Well.....early screenings of Predator 4 seem to be mixed. This seems like the Shin Godzilla of the Predator franchise in terms of the fanbase :lol:
The movie's release date is a pregnancy away, so they have plenty of time to reshoot and edit the film.

Supposedly, the movie is very comedic in it's approach, hence the supposedly mixed reactions. I'm never a fan of big studio action comedies since they usually tend to be filled with generic one liners at the expense of thematic tension, but the movie's R rating means it might have an edge its Hollywood brethren don't. I'm still vey interested since I love all three previous films.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Mr. Xeno wrote: The movie's release date is a pregnancy away, so they have plenty of time to reshoot and edit the film.

Supposedly, the movie is very comedic in it's approach, hence the supposedly mixed reactions. I'm never a fan of big studio action comedies since they usually tend to be filled with generic one liners at the expense of thematic tension, but the movie's R rating means it might have an edge its Hollywood brethren don't. I'm still vey interested since I love all three previous films.
I just hope the Predator (s) are still terrifying.
2004Zilla wrote:I would be extremely happy if Predator 4 came anywhere near as close as to the quality of Shin Godzilla. I'm terrified this film is going to focus on the kid or have him somehow kill the Predator in the most contrived way.
Same. I hope we don't have a Kenny or whatnot.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Where exactly are these reports of "early screenings" coming from for a movie that should still be in post production?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Goji wrote:Where exactly are these reports of "early screenings" coming from for a movie that should still be in post production?
A lot of sites have reported on it. AVP Galaxy has a thread on it and people seem to think it's legit. Apparently a very rough cut with almost no effects.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Well i really hope it's not as disappointing as the last Alien film at least, and please no about it being to comedic.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Why shouldn't it be comedic? I mean, come on, we're talking about The Predator here; it's not a story with any special depth or integrity that needs to be preserved.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Predator 2 was already very campy to begin with.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I've never seen the Predator films as horror films myself. I saw the first film when I was 6, and the character was never terrifying to me. If anything, the Predator franchise has thrived as a Science Fiction/Action franchise in particular. It would be more accurate to call the Alien franchise of films horror. Some comedy wouldn't be too weird for it.
Last edited by Showa Gyaos on Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

eabaker wrote:Why shouldn't it be comedic? I mean, come on, we're talking about The Predator here; it's not a story with any special depth or integrity that needs to be preserved.
Yeah, seriously. There is an abundance of humor in the first two films, especially Predator 2, so I don't know what all the fuss is about. I think the problem is that when people hear that word, their mind starts to wander, and they worry about things like Predators smoking blunts with human beings, or something else equally absurd.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

A xenomoprh android smoked cigars and spouted one-liners in a comic. I doubt we'll see Predators go that far.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

eabaker wrote:Why shouldn't it be comedic? I mean, come on, we're talking about The Predator here; it's not a story with any special depth or integrity that needs to be preserved.
It seems the complaints are saying that it's TOO comedic, i.e. constant jokes that ruin the tension, etc. The original films had some campy humor, yes, ("Stick around!") but they were definitely not "comedic" films in the slightest.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.