The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by KillCrites »

Maritonic wrote:
KillCrites wrote:So, am I the only one here that adores Alien: Covenant? I love the character of David and I personally never felt any of the colonists did anything stupid, maybe except for Oram. Never had a problem with the pacing either which seems to be another common complaint.
Nope, it's personally one of my favorites in the entire franchise. It reminded me why the Alien is terrifying.
You're a genius.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Alien: Covenant in a nutshell

-Oh yeah lets go to an alien planet we don't know about because of a random signal.

-Despite it being earth-like lets not wear any hazard suits or masks at the risk of alien bacteria that could prove to be fatal

-Oh yeah lets stick our faces at some spores and poke at them. Nothing can go wrong there!

-Holy skreeonk he's puking blood! That's okay though lets bring him back to the ship despite the risk of infection.

-Blood has been shot in my face! I'm gonna go lock the other girl in the room with the infected guy who is spontaneously spazzing out of control.

-"I can't let you out because of the risk of spreading infection". Despite the fact you brought this guy back, were in the same room as him and the other girl and had blood spat out on your face. Then decide to go back in while slipping on blood multiple times (I swear that was like some game, everytime someone slipped on blood I expected some cartoon sound effect to happen)

-I'm gonna follow an obvious psychopathic android and listen and trust him to poke my face into some egg I never seen before. What can go wrong?

-Hmmm one of the androids came out only. That's okay I'm not gonna bother asking who it is at the chance it might be David!

Like holy poop the characters were so relatively dumb in this movie. How did they get hired as colonists? Why couldn't Fox had just given us Neil Blomkarp's Alien 3 that we all wanted and deserved?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Wow it's almost as if you didn't see the original Alien...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:Wow it's almost as if you didn't see the original Alien...
Difference is the original Alien had smart characters such as wearing hazmat suits and a good script to follow suit.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Wow it's almost as if you didn't see the original Alien...
Difference is the original Alien had smart characters such as wearing hazmat suits and a good script to follow suit.
The hazmat suit is a stupid argument when they openly state the planet has oxygen and is similar to Earth's atmosphere, when LV-426 is blatantly not.

Smart characters? "You bring him on the ship we could all die." "Do as I say Ripley!" annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they all die. So.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:The hazmat suit is a stupid argument when they openly state the planet has oxygen and is similar to Earth's atmosphere, when LV-426 is blatantly not.

Smart characters? "You bring him on the ship we could all die." "Do as I say Ripley!" annnnnnnnnnnnnnnd they all die. So.
There's still the risk of alien bacteria that'd prove to be fatal though. That's one of the issues I had with it. If they were smart they would had wore hazmat suits or at least masks.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maritonic wrote:The hazmat suit is a stupid argument when they openly state the planet has oxygen and is similar to Earth's atmosphere, when LV-426 is blatantly not.

There's still the risk of alien bacteria that'd prove to be fatal though. That's one of the issues I had with it. If they were smart they would had wore hazmat suits or at least masks.
They were talking about colonizing the planet. Clearly the alien bacteria wasn't present or an issue. What they encountered was David's experiments.

I'll grant you the moron who sticks his face in the egg. Stupid move. But I truly believe a lot of the hating on Covenant is people CHOOSING to hate it. They made up their mind and they look for reasons to hate it.

Or, in your case, they watch CinemaSins and can't forgive imperfections.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:They were talking about colonizing the planet. Clearly the alien bacteria wasn't present or an issue. What they encountered was David's experiments.

I'll grant you the moron who sticks his face in the egg. Stupid move. But I truly believe a lot of the hating on Covenant is people CHOOSING to hate it. They made up their mind and they look for reasons to hate it.

I'll give Alien: Covenant this. It's certainly better then the new Predator movie but that's not saying much tbh.

Alien and Aliens to me are what only happened. After that nothing else unless Fox gives us Neil Blomkarp's Alien 3 to conclude a perfect trilogy.

I'll never forgive them for killing off Hicks and Newt in the stupidest way possible after everything the latter especially went through..
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maritonic wrote:They were talking about colonizing the planet. Clearly the alien bacteria wasn't present or an issue. What they encountered was David's experiments.

I'll give Alien: Covenant this. It's certainly better then the new Predator movie but that's not saying much tbh.

Alien and Aliens to me are what only happened. After that nothing else unless Fox gives us Neil Blomkarp's Alien 3 to conclude a perfect trilogy.

I'll never forgive them for killing off Hicks and Newt in the stupidest way possible after everything the latter especially went through..
The non-theatrical (Director's? Producer's? Production? I forget what it's called) cut of Alien 3 of fantastic and no one will ever convince me otherwise.

Enlighten me, please, on what would make Blomkamp's Alien SO great. Really. Because all you had confirmed was Sigourney coming back, and a few sketches of concept art. That's it. The guy made one good film (most would argue that even that wasn't good), and some mediocre ones.

Blomkamp's film was nothing more than a promise from a fan to make a good film, but you have no evidence that it would have been anything better than Resurrection, Prometheus, or Covenant. I really, truly, wish people would stop circulating this.

Yes, I wanted it too. But there is a very good chance it would have sucked, just like there is a good chance it would have been great. But people love to act like it would have been the saving grace of the Alien franchise. But there is absolutely no evidence to support this, other than Sigourney coming back but how does this promise anything? She came back for Resurrection didn't she?

Stop acting like a movie that never got past concept stage and a promise is better than a film that was made.

Edit: Sorry if this came across as aggressive. Not intended to be. I'm just very tired of hearing about how great Blomkamp's movie would have been, when we really didn't have much confirmed for it.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Alien: Covenant in a nutshell

Like holy poop the characters were so relatively dumb in this movie. How did they get hired as colonists? Why couldn't Fox had just given us Neil Blomkarp's Alien 3 that we all wanted and deserved?
1. A few of those criticisms can also be applied to the original film.
2. People don't think rationally when they're scared and colonists aren't hired for their intelligence.
3. I'm glad we didn't get Blomkamp's Alien 3 because Fincher's Alien 3 (The Assembly Cut) is an excellent film and a great sendoff to Ripley's character.
Last edited by KillCrites on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Alien 3 is the only film in the series I will never bother to watch a second time. Even AVPR didn't earn that esteemed position.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:The non-theatrical (Director's? Producer's? Production? I forget what it's called) cut of Alien 3 of fantastic and no one will ever convince me otherwise.
That's what makes this world a much more unique place. Everyone has different opinions and that I respect. I'll admit I don't mind the 2003 Special Edition because the alien in that doesn't come from a dog but an oxen instead. As you may know I have a thing against dogs dying in movies which is why I can't bear to watch John Wick, the first two Mad Max's, The Thing, The Fly II, Alien 3 (Unless its said version of what I said), etc. I know its not real but I still just can't stand it...
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Alien 3 is the only film in the series I will never bother to watch a second time. Even AVPR didn't earn that esteemed position.
Have you watched the Assembly Cut? It's FAR superior.

Added in 23 seconds:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maritonic wrote:The non-theatrical (Director's? Producer's? Production? I forget what it's called) cut of Alien 3 of fantastic and no one will ever convince me otherwise.
That's what makes this world a much more unique place. Everyone has different opinions and that I respect. I'll admit I don't mind the 2003 Special Edition because the alien in that doesn't come from a dog but an oxen instead. As you may know I have a thing against dogs dying in movies which is why I can't bear to watch John Wick, the first two Mad Max's, The Thing, The Fly II, Alien 3 (Unless its said version of what I said), etc. I know its not real but I still just can't stand it...
It took me a long time to be okay with dogs dying in films, and even then I still have an issue with it. So I get it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Another don't like these new prequels because the xenomorphs were better off being mystery letting the viewer decide on their own. I hate when things get demystified. Some movies don't need prequels leave them as that.

But that's just my opinion. Everyone's different.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Another don't like these new prequels because the xenomorphs were better off being mystery letting the viewer decide on their own. I hate when things get demystified. Some movies don't need prequels leave them as that.

But that's just my opinion. Everyone's different.
I'll grant you this.

The more you shed light on a monster in the shadows, the less scary it gets.

But, the beauty is, you can still enjoy the films you enjoy. Especially as Godzilla fans, we should all be okay accepting different canons or headcanons. That's what I do. It's like switching the tracks for a train. I dunno.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Maritonic wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:Alien 3 is the only film in the series I will never bother to watch a second time. Even AVPR didn't earn that esteemed position.

I haven't. And I highly doubt an extended cut is going to fix the biggest issues I had with the film.

At least it gave us that iconic shot of the alien face to face with Ripley.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Maritonic wrote:But, the beauty is, you can still enjoy the films you enjoy. Especially as Godzilla fans, we should all be okay accepting different canons or headcanons. That's what I do. It's like switching the tracks for a train. I dunno.
Fair enough. That's definitely something I won't argue with. ;)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

I haven't. And I highly doubt an extended cut is going to fix the biggest issues I had with the film.

At least it gave us that iconic shot of the alien face to face with Ripley.
That's fair, but it's not really an extended cut. It's reworked. Scenes are replaced with other scenes. It flows better, has better atmosphere, it feels more coherent.

But, I don't really know what your issues are with it, so hey. To each their own.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Just stopping in to give my obligatory statement of support for Alien 3. Particularly the assembly cut, of course, but I really love the theatrical, as well.

And the thing is, I did not feel that way at first. Saw it on the big screen when it first came out, going in with al kinds of childish (I was just barely 13) expectations based on my adoration of the first two flicks, and was utterly disappointed. Watched it again when it first hit VHS, but that was on a day when I was home sick from school, and my parents rented me both that and M, and my main takeaway from that day was that M was fucking amazing.

Then, I spent years considering Alien 3 an abomination, without giving it any kind of chance. Around '98, a couple of people made arguments in its favor, and when I gave it a third viewing, I found myself liking it. It wasn't until viewing 4 or 5 that I really starte to get in its groove, though.

Some movies take a little getting used to. Doesn't make them bad, it just makes them... difficult?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Maritonic wrote:
Have you watched the Assembly Cut? It's FAR superior. get it.
I was stunned when I saw the Assembly Cut. It's an entirely different film. While I disagree with it being far superior it is def superior
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.