The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Godzilla21 »

WELL. That escalated quickly
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Godzilla21 wrote:WELL. That escalated quickly
It was already escalating before that. I don't think I was THAT hard.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:people get a little pissed off when you answer back in a mocking tone that doesn't have any substance.
Right...

And openly insulting someone has substance.

Well done.

Also...I never said I was a God...& I can dunk on whatever movie I see fit...
whenever I see fit. Freedom of Speech...its a wonderful hing in concept.

Also...if the movie is so "shitty" as you put it...why are you defending it?

And why are you getting so personal? There is big difference between insulting
an idea & insulting the person who had the idea.
2004Zilla wrote:Yeah, I do expect at least some level of consistency between films. When I say that a Xenomorph egg would have been cool to see, I mean that it would have set up a goofy premise that has worked before (i.e. the comics), and it would have allowed Fox a chance to make an actually good Alien vs Predator. But I forgot reboots are below your exquisite taste of le cinéma.
No...

We were talking about callbacks...not consistency.

You stated that "callbacks are supposed to be expected"
which I think is a sad attitude to have.

Callbacks & Consistency are not the same thing.

And again...I never stated I had exquisite taste...
I just know what I like.

A good sequel jumps off from the original & tells its own story...
A bad sequel wallows in the original & simply repeats the same story with minor changes...

I personally thought the idea of a Xenomoprh egg being in the pod was incredibly stupid.
That is my opinion of the idea...not of the person who came up with said idea.

Many intelligent & talented people have had "stupid ideas" in the past...and history &
hindsight proves that.

Please...try to keep the conversation civil. I don't wish to attract the attention of those
in control.
Last edited by Grievous on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

“Freedom of speech” has no bearing on a privately owned website like this, lol. Let’s stop throwing that around, it doesn’t mean what you think it means.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:“Freedom of speech” has no bearing on a privately owned website like this, lol. Let’s stop throwing that around, it doesn’t mean what you think it means.
Then what does it mean?

Explain it to me.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Grievous wrote:

Also...I never said I was a God...& I can dunk on whatever movie I see fit...
whenever I see fit. Freedom of Speech...its a wonderful hing in concept.
Correct, but that also gives me the freedom to call out what I see fit. You can post whatever you want, but that does not mean you are barred from whatever repercussions there are. In this case, I said you were acting like a doofus based on your snark.
Grievous wrote:Also...if the movie is so "shitty" as you put it...why are you defending it?
I'm not. I'm saying that I wanted to see a Xenomorph egg. I haven't defended the movie in any of my posts to you. I think it's an entertaining movie, but I don't think it's a good movie.
Grievous wrote:We were talking about callbacks...not consistency.

You stated that "callbacks are supposed to be expected"
which I think is a sad attitude to have.
A callback does not mean the movie ends up being a rehash of a previous installment, come on now. Is Blade Runner 2049 a rehased movie because they decided to include Deckard as a focal character? The Predator does not end up being any less unoriginal by including a reference to Alien.
Last edited by Noble Saber on Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote: Correct, but that also gives me the freedom to call out what I see fit. You can post whatever you want, but that does not mean you are barred from whatever repercussions there are. In this case, I said you were acting like a doofus based on your snark.
Okay...well...

Is that okay as repercussions for you calling me a doofus?

:thumbsup:
2004Zilla wrote:I'm not. I'm saying that I wanted to see a Xenomorph egg. I haven't defended the movie in any of my posts to you. I think it's an entertaining movie, but I don't think it's a good movie.
Well...I think the film is insulting to the point of being offensive
& I think it is actually anti-entertainment...but different strokes
for different folks.
2004Zilla wrote:A callback does not mean the movie ends up being a rehash of a previous installment, come on now. Is Blade Runner 2049 a rehased movie because they decided to include Deckard as a focal character? The Predator does not end up being any less unoriginal by including a reference to Alien.
First off Blade Runner 2049 is one of the best films I've seen in the last decade...

BUT...

There is a difference in that Blade Runner 2049 crafted its own narrative with Deckard
as a part of the film...

Unlike nearly every Predator sequel with is repeated lines & catchphrases that are
just cringe inducing at this point.

Blade Runner 2049 didn't have Deckard or other cast members repeating lines or
action beats from the first film...it told its own story...a compelling & beautiful
story...and lets not forget about the amazing visuals & hauntingly good soundtrack.

Dude...seriously...I think the difference is you find "The Predator" entertaining...
and I find insulting & repulsive.

That's fine.

I honestly have no problem with that...just don't get personal when I voice my
opinions. You can love something I hate & vice versa.

If you don't like what I am saying/typing...then just ignore me. I'm just some
random name on the internet...shouting into the void.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Man, it'd be way easier for me to ignore this argument about a stupid Predator movie if the Alien and Predator series had their own distinct threads...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Man, it'd be way easier for me to ignore this argument about a stupid Predator movie if the Alien and Predator series had their own distinct threads...
Well...you were doing a fine job ignoring it until you posted about it...

But that raises a valid question...

Perhaps both franchises should have their own threads with a refresh?

Just an idea...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:Man, it'd be way easier for me to ignore this argument about a stupid Predator movie if the Alien and Predator series had their own distinct threads...
Well...you were doing a fine job ignoring it until you posted about it...

But that raises a valid question...

Perhaps both franchises should have their own threads with a refresh?

Just an idea...
Just because I wasn't commenting on it doesn't mean I wasn't paying attention. ;)

I have pushed the idea that they should have their own threads, on the grounds that they are two separate series in origin and in the minds of the general public, but was shut down on the grounds that apparently both film series were permanently, retroactively, and universally redefined by a comic in 1989.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:I have pushed the idea that they should have their own threads, on the grounds that they are two separate series in origin and in the minds of the general public, but was shut down on the grounds that apparently both film series were permanently, retroactively, and universally redefined by a comic in 1989.
Oh...well...

That's life I guess.

Both franchises are basically in the toilet as it is anyway.

Fingers crossed for a reboot for both?
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I would argue that they're not separate in the eyes of the public, though. They aren't to me. They may be to some people- but let's not forget, a Predator 2 easter egg, multiple video.games and novels, and a 2-film franchise have done a little more than a single comic to.connect the two. :) There is a very good reason to consider them connected at this point.
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Yeah, rightly or wrongly I defintiely view them as connected too. I don’t think I was even aware of either franchise until the first AvP came out.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:I would argue that they're not separate in the eyes of the public, though. They aren't to me. They may be to some people- but let's not forget, a Predator 2 easter egg, multiple video.games and novels, and a 2-film franchise have done a little more than a single comic to.connect the two. :) There is a very good reason to consider them connected at this point.
If you're using yourself as an example, I think you're probably more representative of the eyes of dedicated fans of one or both franchises than the eyes of the general public.

And I wasn't saying that it was the only thing that connected them, I was just calling back to the claim someone made the last time this subject came up that as soon as that comic came out, the two franchises were forever inextricable.

Added in 1 minute 10 seconds:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Yeah, rightly or wrongly I defintiely view them as connected too. I don’t think I was even aware of either franchise until the first AvP came out.
That might be because you're young, or it might be because you're Candian, but it's definitely not because you're a young Canadian.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

eabaker wrote:
Zarm wrote:I would argue that they're not separate in the eyes of the public, though. They aren't to me. They may be to some people- but let's not forget, a Predator 2 easter egg, multiple video.games and novels, and a 2-film franchise have done a little more than a single comic to.connect the two. :) There is a very good reason to consider them connected at this point.
If you're using yourself as an example, I think you're probably more representative of the eyes of dedicated fans of one or both franchises than the eyes of the general public.
It's possible... but would you consider that if you're using yourself as an example, you may be more representative of the eyes of the California filmmaking community? :) You do appear (at least from the outside) to have a series of somewhat-interconnected views on film origins, filmmaker intent, directorial freedom and authority, and sequel separateness that tend to spring more from the perspective of a director, seeing that vision as sacrosanct and, and later developments by other creators as lacking bearing on the original work, that seem to have their origin more in the experiences of a filmmaker (as I suspect mine have an origin in focus on being a narrative/prose storyteller first, and treating film as just one more medium to express that in rather than being a focused filmmaker, which also gives me a different perspective than the norm) than the average person would have (having lacked that perspective).

I think a lot of our differing perspectives (especially on sequels and continuity) hinge on that difference, actually, now that I think of it...
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Zarm wrote:
eabaker wrote:
It's possible... but would you consider that if you're using yourself as an example, you may be more representative of the eyes of the California filmmaking community? :) You do appear (at least from the outside) to have a series of somewhat-interconnected views on film origins, filmmaker intent, directorial freedom and authority, and sequel separateness that tend to spring more from the perspective of a director, seeing that vision as sacrosanct and, and later developments by other creators as lacking bearing on the original work, that seem to have their origin more in the experiences of a filmmaker (as I suspect mine have an origin in focus on being a narrative/prose storyteller first, and treating film as just one more medium to express that in rather than being a focused filmmaker, which also gives me a different perspective than the norm) than the average person would have (having lacked that perspective).

I think a lot of our differing perspectives (especially on sequels and continuity) hinge on that difference, actually, now that I think of it...
While there are cases where that is at least somewhat true (although I'd also suggest that while the language I use to explain/rationalize a gut instinct may be rooted in that background/environment, the gut instinct itself might come from someplace else entirely), I don't think this is one of them (though that's certainly not to say that I'm not bringing some kind of biases to it, because of course I am). I just don't think most people think that Alien doesn't exist as its own thing independent of Predator, and vice versa. They are, individually, both very famous movies, and anecdotally I perceive them to far more famous than the crossover materials.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

New line of PREDATOR 2 vinyl figures from the Loyal Subjects.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3543 ... s-harrigan
One thing that this set is missing is intrepid news reporter Tony Pope, played by the late ,great Morton Downey Jr.
Last edited by The One and Only on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

For everyone who loathes 'The Predator' (myself included), this is sure to brighten your spirits:

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

The One and Only wrote:New line of PREDATOR 2 vinyl figures from the Loyal Subjects.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/toys/3543 ... s-harrigan
https://i0.wp.com/bloody-disgusting.com ... .jpg?ssl=1
Now THIS is epic.

I also predict there will be a new surge of people on Twitter asking NECA to do Harrigan.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Leviarex wrote:For everyone who loathes 'The Predator' (myself included), this is sure to brighten your spirits:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a8yhdePFEvY
Now we just need a Harry Plinkett review and all will be right.
Last edited by GodzillavsZilla on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"