The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2012)

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Pffft, suitmation is D E A D. Let's see a stop motion Predator...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Pffft, suitmation is D E A D. Let's see a stop motion Predator...
Stop motion is way to out dated,dude! Finger puppets are the way of the future!
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Alien Covenant was pretty good, in my opinion. The CGI was good and there were some great practical effects
Spoiler:
Also, it's literally the only Alien movie to have no Xenomorphs at all. Yeah, the Protomorphs do look like Xenos, but they're quite different when you compare them. That and the Xeno is a much more efficient killer.

Also, that Protomorph chestburster is the weirdest one I've ever seen.

The Neomorphs were awesome, too. I mean, the first one kills someone mere seconds after being born. Impressive. And terrifying.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I haven't seen it yet, but can someone tell me if
Spoiler:
the Protomormph and Neomorph interact at all?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Is that Predator wearing... military pants?

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but can someone tell me if
Spoiler:
No.
Spoiler:
One of the Neomorphs is dead before the first Protomorph is born, and the other one either ran off somewhere or also died. People say that both of them died, but I only remember seeing one die.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

All the things I've heard about Aline Covenant make it sound really bad.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

godzilla5417 wrote:All the things I've heard about Aline Covenant make it sound really bad.
Like all the comments from people in this very thread saying that they saw it and liked it.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Like all the comments from people in this very thread saying that they saw it and liked it.
No not really, from other places. And all the promotional materiel makes it look pretty bad.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I'm still seeing it regardless of the reviews.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Cybermat47 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I haven't seen it yet, but can someone tell me if
Spoiler:
No.
Spoiler:
One of the Neomorphs is dead before the first Protomorph is born, and the other one either ran off somewhere or also died. People say that both of them died, but I only remember seeing one die.
Aw, thats disappointing.

Thank you tho.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

Godzilla21 wrote:I'm still seeing it regardless of the reviews.
Same, I'll see it on a cheap Tuesday.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Saw Alien: Covenant. Ridley Scott is so detached from the franchise that he sparked life into that I felt like it should have been titled "Prometheus 2.0."
Spoiler:
Same stupid story conventions. Same stupid characters. Bright spots are the acting as well as several good sequences, but an awkward, plodding plot and a watered down screenplay really weigh down the film.
Most disappointing release of the year so far, at least for me.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I liked it for what it was...

But..
Spoiler:
I'm confused as to how Walter figured out you need the egg with the facehugger to create the perfect alien, the Xenomorph. I feel like Ridley Scott was just showing all the different ways to get a alien(in Prometheus and Covenant),
but was really let down at the non explanation to how Walter figured out the eggs+facehugger=perfect alien(Xenomorph). I understand theres different ways to get a alien, we saw a way in Covenant , but it just randomly happened at the end. It's a shame because I actually like the direction Ridley Scott was taking this...
But I just wanted that answer.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Saw Covenant, and I just feel kinda "meh" about it. I liked it more than Prometheus at least, but that isn't saying much since there wasn't a thing I liked about that movie.
Spoiler:
The first half of the film is pretty good, the characters are actually likeable with some good flaws and I appreciate they designed the ship interior to somewhat resemble what we've seen in Alien, but once David gets involved it just kind of derails me, as I'm not really fond of any of the revelations we get. The Xenomorphs were created by a butthurt rape droid. That's kind of lame. Also super bummed that whatever practical monster effects there were was mostly painted over with CGI.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I saw Covenant today. I enjoyed it. Can't wait for the BR combo pack.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Just got back from Covenant so, you know, spoilers and stuff ahead!

I didn't love it but I didn't hate it. The movie is extremely so-so. It's not bad, just not overly good either. I'll take it over Resurrection, sure. But over either of the AvP movies or prior Alien flicks...? Ehhh. I have a weakness for the AvP films (especially the second), but I did find Covenant better than Prometheus. There's a few gripes I do have with this film, however. The first is, without a doubt, David. Now don't get me wrong, I know this is supposed to be exploring the origins of the Xenos, but this movie seemed more along the lines of "Robot Goes Psycho featuring the Aliens" as soon as he shows up. The Aliens are such a classic and ruthless movie monster that I just find it dumb to water down their origins by having them just be mooks of David, which is what the ending seems to be setting up.

I liked the Neomorphs for what they were. But the return of the classic Alien really stole the show. Even though they completely skipped over the Chestburster cycle of their lives.

The final act actually on board the Covenent seemed rather forced. I was ready to up and leave when suddenly "Oh, there's more!" It really just played out too much like a rehash of the original film, right down to the Alien being forced into space. Only this time it was done with big Hollywood spectacle and trucks instead of a generic airlock sequence. Walter being David was too obvious.

But that's it. Not a bad film. Just not that good either. Really, my biggest complaint is the movie seemed to much like "David the Movie featuring Aliens" than an actual Alien movie. Just take the Xenos out and it wouldn't have made that much of a difference.

Favorite character was probably Tennessee. More screen time of him instead of David doing cliche, sneaky things could have gone a long way.

Alien film rankings best to worst:
Aliens
Alien
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem
Alien 3
Alien vs. Predator
Alien: Covenant
Prometheus
Alien: Resurrection

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Finally got to see it. Definitely better then Prometheus and one of the best Alien movies I seen so far, almost up there with the original but not quite.
Spoiler:
Shame we didn't get to learn more about the Engineers as they only appeared as a flashback.

Man they missed so much potential on what they should've had happened in the movie. They had the opportunity to have a fight between a Neomorph and Xenomorph, that definitely would've been something to see.

Totally saw that twist coming with that being David.

Personally don't like the idea the Xenomorphs are actually an genetically engineered created species, preferred if they were an natural extraterrestrial species, however I'll accept the origin the species was given at this point.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

I just got back from the movie and I really enjoyed it. My best advice to you is see it for yourself to make a judgement on it. Don't let douchebag critics or OCD fans make that decision for you.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

My biggest complaint was the editing, actually. The action scenes were all so terribly cut together that you could barely tell what was going on.

Case in point:
Spoiler:
It wasn't until far later during the discussion between Walter and David that I realized Walter had lost his arm trying to protect the main protagonist from the neomorph. Due to the frantic editing I only registered that his arm was bitten off in the scene and nothing else. That entire neomorph scene was probably the hardest to keep track of, and the airlock scene wasn't much better. Even the damn android fight was badly cut.
But other than that... decent movie. 7/10 for me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.