The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2012)

Post by godzilla5417 »

I watched it yesterday, went in with extremely low expectations. I thought all the trailers looked like shit, and had heard some really bad things about the movie. I was pleasantly surprised it wasn't nearly as bad as a lot of people had said it was. It defiantly has a LOT of flaws, but it's by no means a terrible film. Michael Fassbender was the best thing about this movie, he was also the best thing about Prometheus in my opinion. The worst aspect of this movie has to be the xenomorphs- they look at worst like shit and at best just okay! 7/10 from me, I really don't feel like going into a detailed review here, just thought I would leave my thoughts.
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Honestly, the only reason im getting Neca's Defiance Xeno is because its the closest thing to a Praetorian we'll get, as of now.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's...whoof.

It's hard for me to sum up my thoughts eloquently on this movie. I'd say overall I liked it and I thought it was a good movie, but there's things about it I just absolutely cannot stand.

Spoilers ahead, in case this wasn't obvious.
Spoiler:
Primarily, David being the sole creator of the Xenomorphs just shits all over their air of mystique. They're just genetically engineered animals now, big whoop. At first, I tried to rationalize this; "oh, he didn't make all the Xenomorphs, just altered what the Engineers already made". Then,
Scott had to open his mouth and say "yeah nah it was David, sorry fam". Goddammit.

Aside from that, the entirety of the film (as well as Prometheus honestly) is literally just a remake of Alien. The basic skeletal structure is there (space crew go to planet, explore planet, get attacked, big twist, fight alien, everyone dies, the end) and it makes the movie VERY predictable. The last portion is even played up like a slasher film! It's literally taking the common descriptor of the original, "a slasher movie in outer space", and taking it at face value! Seriously, there's a scene where two characters (who, might I add, have zero development and probably a few lines in the entire show)
are making out in the shower and the Xeno hacks them apart like Jason Voorhees! Not complaining (a lot) here, but it just seemed so...unoriginal for an Alien film.

Those are really my only big issues with the film. Cast was good, effects were fine (I might be one of the few who doesn't care about there being no practical Xenos...seriously, the arguments and complaining is getting a bit tiring now), production design, as usual for these films, was spectacular.

All in all, not a whole lot to say, a standard fare. 6.5/10 for me.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

Without getting deep into it or posting spoilers, I think Alien Covenant sucks. The more I think about it, the more I hate it. None of the characters were relatable or even developed well. The acting was pretty bleh aside from the guy who plays David (his acting kept me going throughout the movie). The aliens we're poorly handled and over animated which made them look silly. Honestly they would have been better off using dudes in suits
Resized Image

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Saw this yesterday, and found it to be hot garbage. The film is broken up into four sections as follows:

The first 35% is a perfectly acceptable remake of Alien,
The following 50% is Pretentious Ridley Scott Dumpster Fire #3,578,
The following 10% returns to being an acceptable Alien remake,
The last 5% is pure unadulterated stupidity.

To be honest, a straight remake of Alien would have been more preferable, because at least it would have been an intense, frightening, extremely well-produced horror film in an era bereft of them (as well as using all that money can buy to update what is an, admittedly, somewhat dated film). But adding in all this pretentious, franchise-lore ruining shit was not only unnecessary fluff that ruins one of the best scares from the original film, it was straight up boring. I gave so few shits about what David was doing, and the stupid, barely developed characters (the Last Supper scene is cut from the final film) just meander about doing nothing for half the movie. There's absolutely no tension here, and since this film was given the Alien branding, that's a HUGE misstep.

Don't be fooled by the title or the marketing: This is a Prometheus sequel through and through. The xenos are afterthoughts, and I'm willing to bet that most of their scenes, especially the last 10% I mentioned above, were studio mandated reshoots and changes.

The only Alien film I legitimately can't stand more (as well as straight up dislike) is AvP:R, and for the very similar reason that I just simply didn't give a shit about the drama between the human characters that both movies insist on meandering over. Prometheus definitely had it's problems, but it was at least entertaining and enjoyable to watch, as opposed to this awful, awful film.

I may defend Alien3 until the day I die, but this was easily one of the worst films I've seen so far this year, possibly the worst, and that's saying something since this has been a pretty bad year for me so far. Here's hoping my prayers for Wonder Woman are answered.

My ranking of the films:
Alien
Alien3 - Assembly Cut
Aliens
Prometheus
AvP
Resurrection
Covenant
AvP:R
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Greyshot151
KWC Contributor

Post by Greyshot151 »

Mr. Xeno wrote:Saw this yesterday, and found it to be hot garbage. The film is broken up into four sections as follows:

The first 35% is a perfectly acceptable remake of Alien,
The following 50% is Pretentious Ridley Scott Dumpster Fire #3,578,
The following 10% returns to being an acceptable Alien remake,
The last 5% is pure unadulterated stupidity.
Just going to point out the issues of this movie below:
Spoiler:
I 100% agree with this. ALL of the problems / conflict of this movie is from people being as dumb as stone.
- Hazmat suits, maybe we should use these ON A PLANET WE HAVE NO INFO ON! Like Prometheus, Alien, etc.
- The captain sees David interact with an Alien, kill the alien, David yells at him for killing it, the captain then sees his dead teammate AND THEN FOLLOWS THE GUY WHO JUST PROTECTED THE THING THAT KILLED YOUR FRIEND. For a guy that has LIED TO YOU TWICE, because remember when he said the place was safe, WHY DO THIS. Just... WHY!
- I also love how no-one asks WHY the area is safe that David takes them to. It just IS.
- Also, the home planet of the Space Jockey is one city, made of stone for an advanced intergaltic race. Sure... That is why we dock our Nasa Spacecraft with a tree house in florida with oil lamps.
- SERIOUSLY, WHY IS EVERYTHING MADE OF F*CKING STONE. Like, any technology. ANYWHERE?
- How did David even create the eggs? No tech remember, so he just used animals. Oh wait... HE KILLED THEM ALL!
- Love how the computer can tell there is an alien lifeform except the one in David... or the guy...
- Speaking of that guy, because who the hell can even guess his name, HOW did he get the embryo in him? The facehugger was on him for a second, and he was screaming the whole god damn time. Impressive he didn't choke with the egg shoved down his lungs... -_-
- Literally, EVERY time someone walks away to do something they die. EVERY trope is used to a ludicrous level.
- Anyone else notice that Walter was Bigger than David. Might be hard for David to take his clothing and fit into it like a glove. And NO ONE checked Walter, AT ALL. Seriously? After almost dying, one might just check. A simple question, ANYTHING!
This movie is my most hated film of the year. Its a pretentious to a fault, and I am glad its dying at the box-office.

Ridley Scott's sci-fi thriller Alien: Covenant, which topped the box office in its debut last week, suffered a severe decline in its second weekend, plummeting 71 percent, earning just $10.7 million. With a current domestic total of $57.3 million, it doesn't look like Covenant will end its domestic run in theaters anywhere near Prometheus' $126.5 million gross, and won't likely eclipse Aliens or even Alien Vs. Predator $85.2 million and $80.3 million domestic totals.

So glad we didn't get that OTHER movie by Neil B. :roll:
"...A great love is a lot like a good memory. When it's there, and you know it's there, but it's just out of your reach, it can be all that you think about. You can focus on it, and try to force it, but the more you do, the more you seem to push it away. But if you're patient, and you hold still, then maybe... Just maybe... It will come to you."
—Epsilon

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

I know I'm late to the party, but I've been extremely busy lately and haven't had time to watch Covenant. I'll see it tomorrow, and post my review here.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

godzilla5417
Terminated
Terminated

Post by godzilla5417 »

The aliens we're poorly handled and over animated which made them look silly.
Ugghh! That really fucking bothered me while watching, they move exactly like a scared or nerves insect-all fidgety. In general the cgi on the xenomorph looked quite bad even when it wasn't fidgeting as much. When it was moving through different lighting and on close up shots you can get a really good look at how poor the texture work on that thing is. From what I have heard they actually did use dudes in suits, but the suits were only meant as a base for the cgi artists to work off of, and give something for the actors to react to. So they practically only made suits so a BUNCH of ugly cgi could get shit-all-over them.

Here's a link to avpgalaxy which has a bunch of photos of the suits used in the movie!
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2017/05/22/new ... s-edition/
I'am an atheist, and the closest thing to a god that I have is.......GODZILLAAAAAAAAA! :godzilla:

Little known fact, both Zilla and Shin Hangout at the same gay bar called GINO"S!

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

(Heads up: Not putting this under the Spoiler bar because the movie has been out for some time, and this is the aptly titled "Alien and Predator Discussion Thread".)

Oh, Covenant. A movie that many people seem to dislike, and think is one of the worst in the entire franchise. So it makes me feel like a black sheep when I type out that I thought this movie was pretty decent. First and foremost, I want to say that I do NOT think this film is on par with movies such as the original and Aliens. Though there were things that I really do like about this film; I can't say I absolutely hate it.

The very first act of the film was probably the best out of the three. It was slow, suspenseful, had nice character buildup, and the music track and sight of the Engineer ship made me more interested as it went on. The second act was a bit more messy. The once smart characters start to act very incompetent, and the medbay sequence with people slipping over the blood distracted me quite a bit from the birth of the Neomorph. Speaking of the aliens themselves, the CGI used for them look horrendous in some scenes. I wouldn't even mind if the lighting was a bit darker to hide the obvious effects. The third act was decent, with the return of the Xenomorph, the whole part where it moves across the ship and the remaining crew has to kill it. While I feel like it has became VERY predictable, especially the "twist ending" with David which almost made me sigh in the theater, like I said, it was somewhat decent. Even the mood swings with the unintentional silly parts were kind of entertaining.

While I hate the ending, Alien CG, the random appearance of the Neomorph who I don't understand why it is even in this movie, stupid characters, lore decisions, and probably more, it was a fairly decent film compared to movies such as AVP: Requiem and Resurrection. I give it a 6.8/10.

Here are my current ranking of all the Alien movies from best to worst:

Alien
Aliens
Alien3-Assembly Cut
Prometheus
Alien3-Theatrical Cut
Covenant
AVP
Resurrection
AVP: R
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think the best way to save the franchise now is to do a TV series.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

LegendZilla wrote:I think the best way to save the franchise now is to do a TV series.
Netflix or HBO only. MAYBE AMC.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MM Raids Again wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:I think the best way to save the franchise now is to do a TV series.
Netflix or HBO only. MAYBE AMC.
Or Fox.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Only question is; what would it be about? I feel like they've done every type of Alien movie. Horror film, Action film, Prison/Drama film, etc. I just feel like they wouldn't have any material for the TV series, unless they reuse something.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

They should do one more movie that tries to tie up any loose ends then leads into the events of Alien. From there out do movies set either after Alien 3 or just do a soft reboot set after Aliens.

I personally don't mind Alien 3 but I know it's one of the more hated sequels. I wouldn't mind if we got the original screenplay for Alien 3 made. It had Hicks take center stage and would even fit with in the established "prequel" cannon.

As a side note for those of you upset about the alien origin:
Spoiler:
In the novelization of Covenant they mention that David finds a petrified Alien egg so maybe he wasn't solely responisble for the creation of the Aliens after all.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Jake Busey's role in THE PREDATOR revealed.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Spoiler:
I was really hoping that would be the case. Also glad it proves that Predator 2 is indeed canon
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

The One and Only wrote:Jake Busey's role in THE PREDATOR revealed.
Yes!! Thats good.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

Spoiler:
Can somebody tell me where "THE PREDATOR" fits in with the timeline? Is it chronological like the other movies or is it a prequel?
Numerous people are arguing about it on YouTube and other forum sites.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

it's a sequel, considering one of the actors is playing the son of one of the characters from Predator 2.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Since Jurassic World Evolution is more or less a remake of JP: Genesis.....I would love a remake/updated version of Alien vs Predator: Extinction . Anyone else?