The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 12 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
24
18%
Aliens (1986)
26
19%
Predator (1987)
24
18%
Predator 2 (1990)
18
13%
Alien³ (1992)
10
7%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
1
1%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
11
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
1
1%
Predators (2010)
13
10%
Prometheus (2012)
4
3%
Alien Covenant (2017)
2
1%
The Predator (2018)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 134

MorgansTShirt
Yojimbo
Posts: 60
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:17 am

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby MorgansTShirt » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:Who here still likes to think the Space Jockeys are large elephant like creatures and not as depicted in Prometheus?


I actually find both ideas—giant elephantoids and giant humans alike—pretty boring.

Embracing Giger's style and that bit of Lovecraft's influence on the first film, I prefer the idea that the Space Jockeys are beings capable of modifying their shape and biology with relative ease, fusing themselves with their technology in all kinds of wild ways, like how the Space Jockey encountered in the first film was described as being fused to its cockpit.

When you look at Giger's concept artwork, it's not all that elephantoid anyway, even if it calls to mind some of the essence of an elephant in outline and immensity, and its trunk looks like an artificial apparatus that was merged with its anatomy, to me at least.

My headcanon is that the Space Jockeys are a bizarre occult civilization who worship, revere, or even fetishize the interplay of life and death so much that they've merged everything warm and living with everything cold and artificial.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5672
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:51 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I like the theory that the Space Jockeys made the Engineers, just as they made Humans and Aliens. Like they just jump planets experimenting with new life. It may not hold much weight but I do like the idea, especially since we saw how large the Jockey from 79 was. There's no way an Engineer could grow that height, especially considering we saw their homeworld (sadly not through the eyes of "Paradise" like it was originally intended to be) and not one of them were beyond maybe 1 or 2 feet above normal human height.

I also like the theory that the Engineers/Jockeys and Predators are at constant war with each other. Since Predators are more tribal and hunt with moral codes (We don't talk about that weird hybrid Predator nonsense from 2018) while Engineers are more tech savvy and focus on the creation of life, but at the end of the day when they fight it's just 2 blood lusted warriors ripping each other apart.


.........

huh.

Jockeys are Engineers. Prometheus established the "Jockey" is a suit Engineers wear for flying their ships.
the rest is just fan canon. No evidence at all. Just fan canon
Mhm. A fan theory.

Better than 15 foot Engineers coming out the woodworks never to be shown in any tie in Prometheus films.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
SoggyNoodles2016
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2383
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 7:37 am
Location: My parents' basement

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby SoggyNoodles2016 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:59 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I like the theory that the Space Jockeys made the Engineers, just as they made Humans and Aliens. Like they just jump planets experimenting with new life. It may not hold much weight but I do like the idea, especially since we saw how large the Jockey from 79 was. There's no way an Engineer could grow that height, especially considering we saw their homeworld (sadly not through the eyes of "Paradise" like it was originally intended to be) and not one of them were beyond maybe 1 or 2 feet above normal human height.

I also like the theory that the Engineers/Jockeys and Predators are at constant war with each other. Since Predators are more tribal and hunt with moral codes (We don't talk about that weird hybrid Predator nonsense from 2018) while Engineers are more tech savvy and focus on the creation of life, but at the end of the day when they fight it's just 2 blood lusted warriors ripping each other apart.


.........

huh.

Jockeys are Engineers. Prometheus established the "Jockey" is a suit Engineers wear for flying their ships.
the rest is just fan canon. No evidence at all. Just fan canon
Mhm. A fan theory.

Better than 15 foot Engineers coming out the woodworks never to be shown in any tie in Prometheus films.


........

did you miss what I said? The Space Jockey is a 15 foot suit for ship piloting worn by the Engineers. There are no 15 foot Engineers, how are you coming to thic conclusion?
Image

#MinillaForSmash2019

NSZ wrote:That's the 70's for ya. If you weren't blowing your money on gas, drugs, or chicks, you were blowing it on giant animatronic monkeys that don't work.

User avatar
_JNavs_
Kwaidan
Posts: 5672
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:08 pm

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
.........

huh.

Jockeys are Engineers. Prometheus established the "Jockey" is a suit Engineers wear for flying their ships.
the rest is just fan canon. No evidence at all. Just fan canon
Mhm. A fan theory.

Better than 15 foot Engineers coming out the woodworks never to be shown in any tie in Prometheus films.


........

did you miss what I said? The Space Jockey is a 15 foot suit for ship piloting worn by the Engineers. There are no 15 foot Engineers, how are you coming to thic conclusion?

Lol. We saw the Engineer enter the Jockey suit, the Jockey suit is the size of the 8 foot Engineer, The Jockey suit in the 79 film was absolutely ginormous in comparison to the humans.
Image
Sith Apprentice.

User avatar
tbeasley
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 776
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:28 pm
Location: the tbunker

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby tbeasley » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 am

One of the cooler concepts for the original Space Jockey I read once was saying it could be like an adult Eraserhead baby, with no true limbs (if there are any they're stunted and useless). They'd have to rely on biomechanical suits to get around, interfacing with technology to pilot ships and vehicles. But all that's moot now I guess.
~ Tyler

Exterminate all rational thought.

User avatar
The One and Only
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby The One and Only » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:04 pm

Surprised no one's been talking about this bit of news. A group of high schoolers out of New Jersey for their school play adapted the original ALIEN for the stage. And even got a letter of congratulations ,and thumbs up from Sigourney Weaver and Ridley Scott for their work.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3553219/ridley-scott-sigourney-weaver-praise-new-jersey-schoolers-viral-alien-play/

Also for the franchise hitting the Big 4-O this year. The anniversary is being celebrated by a series of short films starting with ALIEN:Containment tomorrow from IGN.
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3553170/watch-bloody-intense-red-band-trailer-six-upcoming-alien-universe-short-films/
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 pm

I thought the best of the shorts so far were Specimen and Ore. The other two were lackluster and a little plain to me.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
The One and Only
EDF Soldier
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:58 pm
Location: Jamestown, PA

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby The One and Only » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:48 pm

Fun filled reviews of PREDATOR and PREDATOR 2 from video game reviewer, and political pundit, Razorfist The Rageholic.




Added in 5 months 3 days 22 hours 26 minutes 7 seconds:
Video looking at the history of the ALIEN rip-off , GALAXY OF TERROR , which kicked off the career of one James Cameron. And his work on the flick was a bit of basic training for ALIENS. Also revealed some of the shenanigans with 20th Century Fox, and ALIEN producing collaborators, Brandywine led to the sequel getting stuck in a ditch for a while.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

User avatar
miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 11993
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:32 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby miguelnuva » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:45 pm

So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10289
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Living Corpse » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:58 pm

miguelnuva wrote:So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.


Weaponized autism.
Image

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer
Posts: 7238
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:09 pm

miguelnuva wrote:So I guess because my expectations were so low but I ended up liking the new Predator movie this past weekend.


No. I won't allow it.

https://youtu.be/8jRTUeGflCM

https://youtu.be/CJhq450Fjl4
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9731
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:35 am

Living Corpse wrote:Weaponized autism.

Don't forget an dumbass father mailing advanced alien tech to home where his autistic son is rather then to some place like Area 51. Nothing can go wrong there!

And autistic kid not horrified he just accidentally killed someone while wearing Predator mask trick or treating and brushing it off like it was nothing.

Go-Go Predarangers!!!!
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Living Corpse
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10289
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Living Corpse » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:08 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Weaponized autism.

Don't forget an dumbass father mailing advanced alien tech to home where his autistic son is rather then to some place like Area 51. Nothing can go wrong there!

And autistic kid not horrified he just accidentally killed someone while wearing Predator mask trick or treating and brushing it off like it was nothing.

Go-Go Predarangers!!!!


God I can't believe someone listed this movie as being a better monster movie than KOTM. Never mind they are different types of monster films.
Image

User avatar
Birdman
Kwaidan
Posts: 6105
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:54 am
Location: guess

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Birdman » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:15 pm

At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.
Komenja wrote:"Rematch! Rematch! Oodako's comin' back for the title!"


https://vk.com/video224433251_166145954

Image

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9731
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:24 pm

Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.

They're notably one of those franchises that should had ended long ago.

If you're gonna continue doing them. Do something new or different as the new Child's Play did.

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer
Posts: 7238
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:36 pm

I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9731
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".

This is the same idiot that did Iron Man 3, considered one of the worst MCU films made. Why would you think it'd be good from the start? :?

User avatar
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff
Posts: 1180
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby cloverfan98 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:19 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Birdman wrote:At this point, Alien, Predator and Terminator are dead. Fox has run them into the ground with their terrible decisions and hunger for money.

They're notably one of those franchises that should had ended long ago.

If you're gonna continue doing them. Do something new or different as the new Child's Play did.


As much as the films are struggling I don't agree that these franchises are dead especially when it comes to Alien. Outside of Star Trek and Star Wars I don't think any other film series has become such a rich universe unto itself within the literature world then Alien. Combine that with Dark Horses comics and Audible's audio dramas you have a pretty strong property without any new films to boost them.

User avatar
Maverick Centigrade
Keizer
Posts: 7238
Joined: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:14 pm
Location: Hargenteen

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby Maverick Centigrade » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:26 pm

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:I remember when Shane Black was announced to direct it, and I felt like it was going to be good. Then when I read everything about it, saw the trailers, I felt Dutch confronting Dillion in the first movie. "YOU SET US UP! IT'S ALL BULLSHIT, ALL OF IT!".

This is the same idiot that did Iron Man 3, considered one of the worst MCU films made. Why would you think it'd be good from the start? :?


Because he played Hawkins and helped with some of the script in the first movie IIRC. I assumed him being part of the first movie would be advantageous.

But nope.
So then Worf suddenly has a purple space bazooka...

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9731
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Because he played Hawkins and helped with some of the script in the first movie IIRC. I assumed him being part of the first movie would be advantageous.

But nope.

And how in the skreeonk did he go from that to degrading to that atrocity (The Predator 2018)?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.


Return to “Monster Manor”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest